My Future

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2012, 03:56 PM
Question My Future
My dad has been on my ass about my GCSE options and what am I going to do in the future.

My choices are R.E, History, Art.
My mum and dad don't approve art and think it won't help in life or uni.
They think I am only doing to it because its exciting. But if they knew at all, they would know I really love art just as I love science. I was so frustration with them that I cried for two days. I wish they were more supportive.
I don't know what my career is going to be and my dad keeps asking. I want to scream at him and say 'I don't know yet!' but he won't listen.Angry
I researched to prove him wrong that Art won't hinder my chances.
There is this group called The Russell Group which is top 20 universities in UK.
They said if I choose Art for A level, it won't stop my chances to to to a good uni. It will broaden my choices.
This are the careers I am think I want to:
Biochemist
Sociologist
Historian
Fashion Designer
Graphic Designer
*Artist( My parents discouraged me on that)
I am going to sixth form as well.
Anyone got anymore career suggestions?

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-03-2012, 04:08 PM (This post was last modified: 16-03-2012 04:20 PM by morondog.)
RE: My Future
I could never decide on a career from the outset. I just sorta got lucky all the way through. One thing I know, don't ever do something you don't like as a career - it'll suck badly. Also realise you've got plenty of time. Hell, even if you fail a year you can try again. I doubt you'd do that but my parents for years gave me this impression that all my life choices were these major important decisions when really I could have been way less stressed about them.

Not to down play them either... these choices *are* important, but lets say for example you do maths, physics and chem and 2 years later you realise you don't really enjoy that stuff and you'd rather be doing stuff with a more artistic slant. It's not like you can't do that - you might have to make a plan after leaving school - after all, families have a finite amount of cash, so it might take you longer as you'd have to pay for it yourself, but you can always retrain yourself.

Anyway for GCSE you do like 10 subjects, so pick the 10 that suck the least in your opinion and do those. If you find that one does suck during the first 2 weeks, go to your form teacher and try and change - you have that option.
Ah crap. I see it's for going into A level. What a dumbass I am.

A levels depend on the uni. I've heard in the UK they're pretty rigid - once you start a course you're kinda locked into it. Not sure how true that is though. At Cape Town, Rhodes and Wits (the major SA universities) you're much freer to choose, at Rhodes you just do a bunch of modules with whatever you like thrown in, and at the end of 3 years they give your your Bachelors. If you've done more artsy stuff it's a BA, otherwise a BSc or a BCom depending on your subjects. Also as long as you get *good* A level results you can get into most courses regardless of what you did in school. I had a friend who was gonna do English and ended up studying Physics and ComSci.

Try emailing Rhodes / UCT / Wits and asking them stuff - it'll be much better ammo straight from the horse's mouth.
I leave these two posts as a monument to my stupidity. Sorry for not answering anything that you asked Sad I'm running on like 3 hours sleep...
16-03-2012, 04:33 PM
I still don't know what i want to do, and I'm older than you are so i wouldn't worry about having all the answers right away.
This is actually my second time at college i originally did sound engineering 6 years ago, but felt it was a waste of time.

I'm thinking about studying one of the biology sciences at uni, but i don't really know what my options are. I still have a few months to think about it before i need to apply to anywhere for 2013.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
16-03-2012, 04:58 PM
well, I see you have a lot of interests, you should be a lawyer Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
16-03-2012, 04:59 PM
I am not you so I don't know what you want to do. But biochemistry is something I wish I had done. There is soooo much to be discovered yet, and that is the part that makes it fascinating.

I don't know your school system at all. I don't know how much you lock yourself in by what you choose now.

Try out as many things that interest you as you can. You never know what will peak your interest once you get involved, and what will just be boring to you.

Firstly, make sure you do things that appeal to you. It sucks big time to work all your life in a job you hate. Think ahead.

Secondly, some things will come easier to you than others. That means when all is said and done, you'll be better at them and that is also a big help.

Your dad is thinking about money in your future, and that is also a valid point. There have to be decent jobs around for you, or you won't be happy in the long run either.

I hope your school system is flexible enough to allow you to "taste test" a lot of things. That's what I would try to do...

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
16-03-2012, 08:11 PM (This post was last modified: 16-03-2012 10:40 PM by GirlyMan.)
No computer science or engineering on your list? Girly's sad. Sad

Instead of biochemistry I'd have you look at biomedical engineering or molecular engineering or nanotechnology so you can help keep Girly alive for the next couple hundred years or so. Wink

You're like 13-14 yo Tazmin, tell your father to back off and let you discover your talents. Girly was on the path to be a metaphysicist until he was 22 and decided computer science might be more prudent.

Whatever you wind up doing, Tazmin, your future's so bright you gotta wear shades. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
16-03-2012, 09:58 PM
Sociology. That stuff is awesome, useful, and very entertaining. But seriously. You need to put thought into a career. Your mom is right. Being an "artist" will get you nothing. Then again I don't know how old you are nor do I really care.

I am in the Psychology field with (according to people) a "very bright future" and I'm a lazy troll. You need to put aside the dreams and desires that will only harm you. It sounds terrible I know but you really don't have any other options.

YAY! I sound like the bad guy!

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 1 user Likes Hamata k's post
17-03-2012, 03:14 AM
Careers, such fickle things…
What you do now will give you a direction for your future, but it’s not set in stone.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
17-03-2012, 07:21 PM
(16-03-2012 08:11 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  No computer science or engineering on your list? Girly's sad. Sad

Instead of biochemistry I'd have you look at biomedical engineering or molecular engineering or nanotechnology so you can help keep Girly alive for the next couple hundred years or so. Wink

You're like 13-14 yo Tazmin, tell your father to back off and let you discover your talents. Girly was on the path to be a metaphysicist until he was 22 and decided computer science might be more prudent.

Whatever you wind up doing, Tazmin, your future's so bright you gotta wear shades. Big Grin
]
My aunt did computer science.
I will make sure you stay alive for next couple hundred years. Promise...Big Grin

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes tazmin98's post
17-03-2012, 07:58 PM
Girly i was thinking about getting into biotech and bioengineering. I could make extending your life a side project. inbetween baby eating and attempts at world domination. Big Grin

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post