My Future

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-03-2012, 08:35 PM (This post was last modified: 17-03-2012 08:45 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: My Future
(17-03-2012 07:21 PM)tazmin98 Wrote:  I will make sure you stay alive for next couple hundred years. Promise...Big Grin

Thanks! Big Grin I'm holding you to that. Wink

(17-03-2012 07:58 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Girly i was thinking about getting into biotech and bioengineering. I could make extending your life a side project. inbetween baby eating and attempts at world domination. Big Grin

No no, you got it wrong, what you need to be thinking about is how does eating this baby or pursuing world domination extend Girly's life. Then we are on the same page. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-03-2012, 04:08 PM
My parents are not convinced that art will help me. My mum even threatened to move out the country...*sigh* The more I talk to them, the more I hate telling them I want to do science because they are so fixed on the fact that I can't other subjects that isn't science-y. Art at A-level won't affect my chances at uni.

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
18-03-2012, 04:47 PM (This post was last modified: 18-03-2012 05:50 PM by GirlyMan.)
(18-03-2012 04:08 PM)tazmin98 Wrote:  My parents are not convinced that art will help me.

Ask them how it could possibly hurt.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
19-03-2012, 03:16 AM
When taking your options you have to pick things that you are at least vaguely interested in because otherwise you'll struggle to motivate yourself to do the work.

When I took my GCSE options I had to pick four subjects on top of the core ones. I picked ones that I thought would be useful instead of ones I thought I'd enjoy. I ended up with two subjects I liked and two I hated. I did zero revision for my GCSE's (and practically no homework either) and in the two subjects I liked I still managed to get high B's. In the two subjects I hated I didn't even make it as far as the exams, I dropped them both because I was failing so badly. That's how much difference it can make to pick subjects you like.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
19-03-2012, 05:08 AM
(19-03-2012 03:16 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  When taking your options you have to pick things that you are at least vaguely interested in because otherwise you'll struggle to motivate yourself to do the work.

I completely agree.

At school I was the shit-hot at art and poetry.
So naturally my A-levels were Maths, Futher Maths and Chemistry...

... and I completely lost interest.

Art, History and RE?

What use is RE? You can become a priestess.... mmmm... no one here will speak to you again. Or a myth debunker... well, there could be a book deal and speaking engagements after 10 years if you are telegenic enough.

What use is History? Maybe a career in politics, civil service etc. If we do not learn the lessons of history we are doomed to repeat them.

What use is Art? We live in an increasingly grafixated world (did I just invent a new word? I doubt it but I'm not googling it to find out); advertising, graphic design, marketing; potentially you can earn pretty good monet (see what I did there?)

I had a visitor last year (a friend of a colleague) who started a doodle that transformed into the most amazing piece of art. It turned out he was Milx (an infamous Malaysian graphic artist) and as I was watching him work (wrong word; not work cos it was effortless) I was emotionally swinging between jealousy and admiration and the realisation that I would never have been that good so would not have made a career out of it.

I have had poetry published in two countries so I feel that part of me has been mollified but I doubt that I am good enough to have made a living out of that either.

Conclusion:
It does not really matter whether you follow your dreams now or pick them up again later but if not now, then try to maintain those skills extracurricularly (another new word?).

If you want to go for Art now you need to get your finance department (parents) on board so you need to demonstrate ROI (Return on Investment):
Create a table / chart showing average salaries for careers requiring the relevant qualifications. Extrapolate into the future and paint a picture :-) of likely demand for those careers (i.e. lessening need for priestesses and growing demand for web designers).

And then...

Follow your dreams!