My Gecko Died and I Found out via Text Message

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-03-2013, 11:22 AM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2013 06:58 PM by Peanut.)
We've had a Gecko for the last two and half years or so. At first, I didn't see the "point" in spending so much money on something that's just going to sit around all day and sleep. But then I thought of the fact that we have a cat, and they tend to do the same thing, only we can pet him and he likes to cuddle. Anyway, I grew to like the little bastard.

I liked to watch him eat the crickets because it was funny to watch him "hunt his prey." He was only six and a half inches in length, head to tail. He was also cute because I would compare him to a dog in that he would drink from his water dish/bath thing, and dip his head down to lick up the water with a tongue that was rounded at the tip like a dog's. (Fucking cute.)

Oh, yeah. His name was Bones. (I know. How cleverly original, right? But I didn't name him, but I grew to like calling him that. It "fit.") It looked like he had a "bone necklace" around his neck.

The last few days, I have been turning his lights in the morning. Usually, the boyfriend does this because he's up first. But I noticed I had been doing it everyday for probably the last week. There are two lights; A red one we keep on at night and a white one we keep on during the day. Sometimes, in the winter, we keep both on to make sure he was super warm. Well, today, I went to flip the switch on because it was completely dark in his aquarium-AGAIN. (I do want to mention that the thought crossed my mind that he may have died, but I thought that most likely wasn't the case, as I tend to think of "worst possible scenarios.") There were crickets chirping inside and water in the dish, but no Bones. I recall many times I thought he was missing, only to realize he was cleverly hiding due to the way he could contort his little body into small crevices. It was like a game: "Where's Bones?"

I decided to text the boyfriend to see what was up. This is the exchange we had: Angry

ME: Where's Bones??? I can't find him and you keep turning off all the lights. (12:48 pm)

BOYFRIEND: He died a couple days ago. Haven't had time to clean out the cage (12:49 pm)

ME: WHAT THE FUCK?! WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME?! (12:50 PM)
ME: You just let me keep turning the lights on. (12:50 pm)

BOYFRIEND: I haven't had a chance to take care of it. I've been busy (12:54 pm)

ME: But you didn't even mention it to me! (12:55 pm)

I'm aware that he and I have been avoiding each other for more than a week due to the fact that we don't have much to talk about, but this was a little ridiculous. AND I was all "ready for the news" and got prepared to hear that the little guy died, just in case. Yeah. THAT whole "tough girl" thing went out the metaphorical window the second he confirmed the little bastard passed. I fucking cried for a damn lizard.

I'm analyzing the situation and exchange now and wondering if I was crying all because of a tiny little animal died or if it was due to the fact that I wasn't told and I was "taking care" of a lizard that no longer inhabited the empty shell that was his habitat for the last couple years. I was caring for a ghost.

I turned off the light for the last time (Goddamnit. Just got teary-eyed again. Damn hormones!) and sat on the couch, unable to make sense of my feelings over the loss of the non-cuddly pet I grew to love. Sadcryface

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2013, 11:46 AM
RE: My Gecko Died and I Found out via Text Message
Sorry for the loss of Bones. I had a similar experience with a hamster called Socks. He could bite, but the little guy grew on me. I protested his cage being moved to the basement giving valid reasons. I found him. It sucks having those feelings but it's good to go through them rather than around them.

Hug

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
12-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Sounds like a book I read many years ago: "P.S., your cat is dead." But you didn't even get that. Shame.

“I've done everything the Bible says — even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff!"— Ned Flanders
12-03-2013, 11:57 AM
(12-03-2013 11:49 AM)EGross Wrote:  Sounds like a book I read many years ago: "P.S., your cat is dead." But you didn't even get that. Shame.
Great book!

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
12-03-2013, 12:00 PM
I honestly don't even know what kind of Gecko he was. He was just super cute.

I will have to check out that book. It sounds quite interesting.

P.S.- Thanks for the Hug

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
12-03-2013, 12:02 PM
Sorry about the loss of your pet Peanut..we, who are animal people, get attached to all sorts of critters, not just the furry, cute ones...check out Vera's pics of naked cats. If nothing else, it sucks when you feel responsible for the animal and then kind of feel like you didn't do a very good job. We have had turtles, birds, hamsters, cats, dogs, and fish.
I am thinking that communication could be improved a bit with the boyfriend. Geez!

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
12-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Sorry to hear and there is nothing wrong with getting teary eyed over the death of a pet, no matter what type of creature it is. It's healthy to cry. It is a good reaction, don't let people tell you otherwise.
Your boyfriend is an ass - sorry, but it has to be said.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
12-03-2013, 01:36 PM
RIP Bones Sad

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
12-03-2013, 01:55 PM
(12-03-2013 01:36 PM)bemore Wrote:  RIP Bones Sad
[Image: 400_F_29218275_bbK1PDiv1rl7NZUXkg8FaRkGttCRTAuu.jpg]

I think he was suicidal. It's not like we changed his routine and caused him to die suddenly...
Then, again, my cat HATED him. I would find him sitting atop Bones' cage, just staring down at him menacingly. The last time we cleaned his cage, a few days ago, Bones was in his little carry cage while we were fixing up his main "home." He was sitting on the table and I had to keep shooing Jameson (My cat. He has a cool name Smartass ) away from bopping at the poor little guy. And then a few seconds later, I looked over to see the little carry cage upended and on the chair. He must have fallen about a foot = ( He seemed fine and alert. He DID have his little mouth open as if to say, "Bastard, cat. Now I have a headache."

Perhaps he sustained a lizard concussion?

Maybe if I asked for prayers after it happened, it would have saved him? Consider

[Image: 1193000424-Cat_Stalking.jpg]

12-03-2013, 02:06 PM
Sorry.

I Heart Qualia Soup
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user