My Grandmother's Cross

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-07-2013, 09:57 PM
My Grandmother's Cross
My grandmother died when I was 12 and left me all her jewels. With her jewelry I have her favorite cross, and sometimes I wear it. Does that make me a hypocrite or send a bad message to other atheists?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-07-2013, 10:01 PM
RE: My Grandmother's Cross
No. It doesn't. It just means you loved your grandma.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
22-07-2013, 10:08 PM (This post was last modified: 22-07-2013 11:00 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Why would wearing a representation of the way many cultures used to do executions by hypocritical ? If someone wants to wear a Christian symbol, they can wear a "burn them at the stake" medallion. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
27-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Nah, my girlfriend's a pagan and she wears a cross every now and then. If it makes you happy, wear it.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 1 user Likes Question's post
27-07-2013, 03:22 PM (This post was last modified: 27-07-2013 03:27 PM by Luminon.)
It's all right. I've seen a plenty of women wear cross whom I couldn't imagine to be serious about Christianity.
I'd say in Europe it's more of a sign you're healthily spiritual and think about moral topics or you want to look like you do. Your intellect and personality decides which one is true. In daily situations people would just assume it's another piece of your jewelry collection. If any atheist asks you about it, just say the cross used to be your grandma's.

With men it's always more serious. I know one guy, he wears a rosary and a Hindu symbol too, he's heavily into unity of all religions, peace, love and stuff. And I wear a silver necklace with my solar sign. Not my idea, it's a gift, but I have a decent knowledge western astrology to back it up.
27-07-2013, 04:47 PM
Nothing wrong at all. I wear a pendant with St. Michael on it. I don't have a catholic background or anything, it's just I was given the pendant when I graduated airborne school while serving in the US Army (St. Michael is the patron saint of paratroopers). It's a subtle reminder of the challenges I have bested in my life.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-07-2013, 04:58 PM
I've got some crosses and praying hands in my grandmothers jewelery as well. I would not give them up for the world. Just shows how much we loved our grandmothers.

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
27-07-2013, 05:45 PM
No that is something personal between your grandmother and yourself. If you want you could wear an atheist necklace to to really confuse people Smile
If only there wasn't so much symbolism surrounding the cross it may be a pretty cool thing to wear.

[Image: g-HitchensThinkSelf.gif]
27-07-2013, 08:10 PM
I don't see anything wrong with that. Heck, I have tattoos that are rooted in both pagan and christian beliefs and I wear them to this day because they mean something completely different to me.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
04-08-2013, 07:53 PM
This might interest you.
Dr. Bullinger, in the Companion Bible, appx. 162, states, "crosses were used as symbols of the Babylonian Sun-god ... It should be stated that Constantine was a Sun-god worshipper ... The evidence is thus complete, that the Lord was put to death upon an upright stake, and not on two pieces of timber placed at any angle."

Cross is a slurring of ancient Greek with a different meaning.