My Groundhog kills

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-08-2012, 01:45 PM
Photo My Groundhog kills
Well this has been a great season for groundhog hunting. The hay fields are down and you can see them nasty suckers from 200 yards easy. I am up to 25 kills so far on my little piece of land. As soon as one hole gets empty a new Groundhog moves in. My neighbor asked me to come to his farm and he will give me $20 for every hog I shoot. His place is filled with hogs. I think I will take a few of my friends and make a day of groundhog hunting over there. Anyone hunt groundhogs on here? I use my .17 HMR and it has worked great. You cant use it on a windy day but on a calm day you can shoot them easy. It works best at 100 yards to 150 yards. That's where my scope is set up.

History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a
free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their
political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their
own purpose. ~ Thomas Jefferson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like N.E.OhioAtheist's post
01-08-2012, 01:48 PM
RE: My Groundhog kills
(01-08-2012 01:45 PM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  Well this has been a great season for groundhog hunting. The hay fields are down and you can see them nasty suckers from 200 yards easy. I am up to 25 kills so far on my little piece of land. As soon as one hole gets empty a new Groundhog moves in. My neighbor asked me to come to his farm and he will give me $20 for every hog I shoot. His place is filled with hogs. I think I will take a few of my friends and make a day of groundhog hunting over there. Anyone hunt groundhogs on here? I use my .17 HMR and it has worked great. You cant use it on a windy day but on a calm day you can shoot them easy. It works best at 100 yards to 150 yards. That's where my scope is set up.

Sounds fun. You should set up Groundhog Hunting Tours and make a little more cash!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
01-08-2012, 01:56 PM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2012 02:09 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Ever hear one actually whistle ? They are also called whistle-pigs. We only had a few. One had a club foot, and became my little bro's pet. Then the mountain lion got em. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
01-08-2012, 02:00 PM
It is a good time if you don't mind the endless hrs of waiting in the hot sun. I don't like people who cant shoot. I would make sure they can hit something at 150 yards the size of a soda can. If you can do that then I would take someone new. I always hit what I aim at. I've been shooting since I was 6 years old with my first BB gun. I been hunting all my life. Normally I eat what I shoot. I have ate Groundhog but it is nasty. You can live off the meat but it is real gamy tasting. It's like eating a large rat.

History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a
01-08-2012, 02:01 PM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2012 02:06 PM by kingschosen.)
No groundhogs here; however, our vermin are armadillos... nasty, destructive creatures.

I either use my 9mm or a .22 rifle.

Armadillos have become a serious bane in Southern LA. They destroy gardens, crops, yards, and flower beds; not to mention they carry leprosy.

Edit: And, their #1 food source is one of the most beneficial creatures to soil - earthworms.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
01-08-2012, 02:04 PM
(01-08-2012 02:00 PM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  It is a good time if you don't mind the endless hrs of waiting in the hot sun. I don't like people who cant shoot. I would make sure they can hit something at 150 yards the size of a soda can. If you can do that then I would take someone new. I always hit what I aim at. I've been shooting since I was 6 years old with my first BB gun. I been hunting all my life. Normally I eat what I shoot. I have ate Groundhog but it is nasty. You can live off the meat but it is real gamy tasting. It's like eating a large rat.

Have you tried nutria? Sounds like about the same taste. W&F has tried to convince Louisianians that nutria is a good meat to eat. We have an overpopulation of them, but they aren't anything like armadillos. I mean, at least nutria stay more or less confined to marshy areas, lakes, ponds, and creeks. Armadillos are just everywhere.

01-08-2012, 02:04 PM
(01-08-2012 02:01 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  No groundhogs here; however, our vermin are armadillos... nasty, destructive creatures.

Armadillos have become a serious bane in Southern LA. They destroy gardens, crops, yards, and flower beds; not to mention they carry leprosy.

I have heard that about them armadillos. No way would I ever eat one of them. Their is to much other game out in the woods to eat.

01-08-2012, 02:07 PM
http://chemistry.about.com/b/2010/08/20/...ctions.htm

Instead of not doing it....

Just pour some bleach then ammonia down the holes and cover the tops.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
01-08-2012, 02:07 PM
My favorite wild game is wild turkey.. I like it better than the store ones. the meat is not full of cem. and you get a better taste of the bird.

[+] 1 user Likes N.E.OhioAtheist's post
01-08-2012, 02:09 PM
(01-08-2012 02:04 PM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  
(01-08-2012 02:01 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  No groundhogs here; however, our vermin are armadillos... nasty, destructive creatures.

I have heard that about them armadillos. No way would I ever eat one of them. Their is to much other game out in the woods to eat.

Oh heck no... even the most coonass Cajuns would never eat armadillos... you might as well just swallow cyanide.

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post