My Increasingly Fundamentalist Sister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-08-2013, 07:41 PM
My Increasingly Fundamentalist Sister
So, my sister has been going to a Christian private school for the last two years. In the last few months, I've heard her increasingly become more extreme in her belief and is taking on the kind of world view that is defined by what it rejects instead of any core doctrine.
After having read the textbooks they have and her assignments, I see that they are completely biased and nonfactual, it aggressively opposes anything that goes against any doctrine the school holds by using fallacies and out-right falsehoods to get various points across. Beyond science, they even lie about historical events, historical figures, their own philosophy, and other philosophies/religions.
I am very worried about what these teaching will do to my sister's future life and more-so her personality.

Should I intervene before these teaching become impossible to reverse or wait and let her find her own path?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2013, 07:52 PM
RE: My Increasingly Fundamentalist Sister
(03-08-2013 07:41 PM)Topyka Wrote:  So, my sister has been going to a Christian private school for the last two years. In the last few months, I've heard her increasingly become more extreme in her belief and is taking on the kind of world view that is defined by what it rejects instead of any core doctrine.
After having read the textbooks they have and her assignments, I see that they are completely biased and nonfactual, it aggressively opposes anything that goes against any doctrine the school holds by using fallacies and out-right falsehoods to get various points across. Beyond science, they even lie about historical events, historical figures, their own philosophy, and other philosophies/religions.
I am very worried about what these teaching will do to my sister's future life and more-so her personality.

Should I intervene before these teaching become impossible to reverse or wait and let her find her own path?

Why is she going to that school?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-08-2013, 09:34 PM
(03-08-2013 07:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  Why is she going to that school?

The closest public school is huge, parents think it would be better for her to be at a much smaller school and I supposed they figured this would be fine. They've had it as an option for a while, in case public school didn't work out.
04-08-2013, 12:34 AM
Is home schooling or unschooling an option? When people pursue their own interests, the results are usually better than either secular or sectarian indoctrination programs.

So... what is she interested in, when she's away from school? Get her focused on that more. Redirection works better than refutation.

I AM he who is called... cat furniture.
[+] 1 user Likes I Am's post
04-08-2013, 07:10 AM
Don't you worry. Send her to the forum and I'll set her straight. Drinking Beverage

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
04-08-2013, 08:20 AM
(03-08-2013 09:34 PM)Topyka Wrote:  
(03-08-2013 07:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  Why is she going to that school?

The closest public school is huge, parents think it would be better for her to be at a much smaller school and I supposed they figured this would be fine. They've had it as an option for a while, in case public school didn't work out.

Do your parents see her views as problematic?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-08-2013, 08:45 AM
How old are you and how old is your sister? Are your folks fundies? If you're outnumbered in the house, leave it be. You're not going to make a difference.

If you have some influence, you better get started right now trying to expose your sister to alternative philosophies.

I Am is right on target. If your parents are concerned about the quality of education for your sister, the ONLY option is home schooling or unschooling. This is how parenting is done. Farming your crotch spawn off to some government/church run daycare center is not parenting. Unless you think it is, then it's parenting by proxy. If they like it, I love it.

If you are in a position to intervene and feel compelled to do so, have at it. Once you can gauge the level of resistance, you can adjust or abandon the cause altogether.
04-08-2013, 09:56 AM
I certainly would start now. It's easier to change a point of view before its had time to sit and rot in the brain.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
07-08-2013, 09:31 PM
(04-08-2013 08:20 AM)Chas Wrote:  Do your parents see her views as problematic?

No, but I doubt they know the full extent of the situation. To my knowledge they are moderate Christians.
07-08-2013, 09:34 PM
(04-08-2013 08:45 AM)Regular_Joe Wrote:  How old are you and how old is your sister? Are your folks fundies? If you're outnumbered in the house, leave it be. You're not going to make a difference.

If you have some influence, you better get started right now trying to expose your sister to alternative philosophies.

I Am is right on target. If your parents are concerned about the quality of education for your sister, the ONLY option is home schooling or unschooling. This is how parenting is done. Farming your crotch spawn off to some government/church run daycare center is not parenting. Unless you think it is, then it's parenting by proxy. If they like it, I love it.

If you are in a position to intervene and feel compelled to do so, have at it. Once you can gauge the level of resistance, you can adjust or abandon the cause altogether.

18, going to graduate this coming year. She is 14, just going into the high school level. Like I said in my previous reply, my parents are moderate but are not very influential on her beliefs.