My Mother-In-Law and the Illuminati

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2016, 05:38 PM
My Mother-In-Law and the Illuminati
Okay, so...

Yesterday, my mother-in-law, her boyfriend, my husband and I were talking about religion after her boyfriend asked about my husband's and my personal philosophy in life. My mother-in-law is very clear that she isn't fond of our stance on religion (though she believes in all scientific theories) which led to us having a miniature debate on my apparent "closed mindedness". She told me that I had "read books that convinced me that I know the truth" and only that. I retorted with "Well, how do you know you are correct in whatever you believe?" She pulls me aside and replies saying that she "knows things that aren't and cannot be known to people outside of her organization."

I, being curious, pester her as to what she means and she basically tells me that she joined a secret group at the age of sixteen and she swore an oath not to reveal too much about the organization. I, then asked her how she was convinced that the organization is correct and she tells me that she, herself, used incantation to conjure things.

My mother-in-law is absolutely convinced that she has done this and she is genuinely of sound mind so I am baffled right now. Not sure what her "organization" is but I assume it's like an illuminati thing. So, here's my question...

How can people of sound mind be so convinced that they have experienced supernatural things? Also, what should I make of this all?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2016, 05:50 PM
RE: My Mother-In-Law and the Illuminati
(10-12-2016 05:38 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  Okay, so...

Yesterday, my mother-in-law, her boyfriend, my husband and I were talking about religion after her boyfriend asked about my husband's and my personal philosophy in life. My mother-in-law is very clear that she isn't fond of our stance on religion (though she believes in all scientific theories) which led to us having a miniature debate on my apparent "closed mindedness". She told me that I had "read books that convinced me that I know the truth" and only that. I retorted with "Well, how do you know you are correct in whatever you believe?" She pulls me aside and replies saying that she "knows things that aren't and cannot be known to people outside of her organization."

I, being curious, pester her as to what she means and she basically tells me that she joined a secret group at the age of sixteen and she swore an oath not to reveal too much about the organization. I, then asked her how she was convinced that the organization is correct and she tells me that she, herself, used incantation to conjure things.

My mother-in-law is absolutely convinced that she has done this and she is genuinely of sound mind so I am baffled right now. Not sure what her "organization" is but I assume it's like an illuminati thing. So, here's my question...

How can people of sound mind be so convinced that they have experienced supernatural things? Also, what should I make of this all?

I'm not going to call it brain washing here, but brain conditioning. If you repeat something to yourself over and over, and there are important people in your life who do the same thing over and over, eventually it becomes real.

Some of us escape, others don't. I think it's more a sign of needing a crutch in life than anything else.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
10-12-2016, 06:32 PM
Can that trick your senses so much that you believe you literally broke the natural order of things things with your hands? I am trying to relate to her but I'm not sure how...
10-12-2016, 06:39 PM
(10-12-2016 06:32 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  Can that trick your senses so much that you believe you literally broke the natural order of things things with your hands? I am trying to relate to her but I'm not sure how...

It's a physically palpable high, and it makes you feel better about yourself because you know things others don't. For people that far out, losing faith in that could well end in a mental break down. It's the only way they have found that helps them cope. And they will defend it viciously if necessary. It's an addiction.

Does that shoe fit?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
10-12-2016, 06:48 PM
(10-12-2016 05:38 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  How can people of sound mind be so convinced that they have experienced supernatural things? Also, what should I make of this all?

Play along. Maybe you'll get invited to some sort of crazy ritual.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 6 users Like GirlyMan's post
10-12-2016, 08:13 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2016 08:41 PM by Larai19.)
@Dom

I don't know. She believes in spiritual concepts but doesn't seem that out of touch.
She has believed in ghosts since she was very young and said that her organization has given her knowledge that explains their existence scientifically. She maintains that to have the "revelation" needed to understand the truth is to balance science with the spiritual. She also says her ancient proof of her nondisclosed truth is related to biblical passages and other texts that have been correctly decoded.

I don't even understand these groups anyways, honestly.
10-12-2016, 08:59 PM
@GirlyMan

XD What do you think about these groups?
10-12-2016, 09:52 PM
(10-12-2016 08:59 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  @GirlyMan

XD What do you think about these groups?

I'm not at liberty to say.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
10-12-2016, 10:24 PM
[Image: mark.png]

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
10-12-2016, 11:20 PM
@Paleophyte

XD I'm guessing you don't believe in the "secret knowledge" then?