My Mother-In-Law and the Illuminati

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2016, 06:40 AM
RE: My Mother-In-Law and the Illuminati
Secret societies like your mom's make life more exciting (everything's a cosmic battle between forces of good and evil), enhance one's sense of self worth (your mom's on the "good" side, she knows stuff that ordinary people don't know, so she must be special), provide a tribe (we love our tribes), and also provide a sense of control in an uncertain world, like all rituals and belief systems do.

Is your mom's set of crazy beliefs dangerous, that is, is it putting her or her loved ones at risk financially or physically? Probably not, but if you're worried, you might ask her for more information so that you can check it out.

The world's full of people who think their prayers have been answered, or that they have successfully cast magic spells. My father, for one, thinks he's cast out demons who've possessed people. IMO it's all pattern-seeking and placebo effect, but I'm open to being corrected, if any of the claims can survive a thorough scientific investigation. So far, to my knowledge, this hasn't been the case.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2016, 07:04 AM
I would dismiss the illuminati thing as they died out about 200 years ago her secret society is most likely either a Wiccan type coven or a confabulation / fantasy to make herself seem mysterious and ethereal, fantasists frequently do this as it fulfils a deep seated psychological need.
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
11-12-2016, 07:41 AM
(10-12-2016 05:38 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  I, being curious, pester her as to what she means and she basically tells me that she joined a secret group at the age of sixteen and she swore an oath not to reveal too much about the organization. I, then asked her how she was convinced that the organization is correct and she tells me that she, herself, used incantation to conjure things.

Your MIL sounds like she needs some guidance in critical thinking and skepticism.

The first point I'd make is that since I'm not part of this "secret group" and don't have the information I can't evaluate it or consider it as part of what I believe. I may trust that she is saying what she believes to be true but I have no way to independently verify that she has not been misled somehow. It is generally unwise to take any claim on a "trust me" basis.

The second thing would be to get examples of what "things" she has conjured and how she determined that they were the result of her "conjuring" and not just coincidence or the result of other actions. Then, if she still think is true it's time for some testing to let her demonstrate to you that she really does have some special ability or knowledge.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
11-12-2016, 10:26 AM
(10-12-2016 05:38 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  [...] How can people of sound mind be so convinced that they have experienced supernatural things? Also, what should I make of this all?

The fact some of the world's top scientists believe in a god partially answers this.

—And just ignore your MIL's apparent flights of fancy LOL.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
11-12-2016, 02:45 PM
Your Ma's in the Rotary Club?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
11-12-2016, 06:03 PM
(10-12-2016 11:20 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  @Paleophyte

XD I'm guessing you don't believe in the "secret knowledge" then?

Given what you know of your other in law, would you have granted her secret reality-changing knowledge? She doesn't seem terribly concerned with keeping it secret.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
11-12-2016, 06:05 PM
And any excuse for:

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
12-12-2016, 11:40 PM
"Ladies and gentlemen, I have seen the Illuminati... and it is us."
--Richard Metzger

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
12-12-2016, 11:56 PM
If she wants to convince you that something is true, then secret knowledge isn't gonna cut it. Why is it a secret in the first place? Is it so super dangerous that it can't be known to all, but still it's important that you as a non-member of the secret society must believe it? I think you just smile and nod and say "OK" and move on. And don't leave her alone with any object sharper than a brick.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
13-12-2016, 03:08 AM
Ask for proof, if she cant provide it, ask her how she expects you to believe her.

If she asks you to trust her that its true, tell her you cant trust someone who keeps secrets, especially ones that might be better for society/truth.

If she keeps going on about it, tell her straight, that your not interested unless she can provide proof.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.