My Mothers Wedding

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2015, 04:33 PM
My Mothers Wedding
So last weekend my mother got married, low key affair but her husband thought it would be nice to have someone do a religious reading.

Fairly harmless stuff about love etc but the guy had to throw in the obligatory threat of hell for not accepting Jesus. Can't beat a threat of eternal torment on a Saturday morning.

Anyway, later in the day there was a singer/comedian. Usual stuff.. Penny Arcade, daydream believer etc. With a few lousy rude jokes in between. The guy who did the reading got offended by these jokes and took his wife into the next room. I was dumbfounded by this . The guy had NO problems threatening the entire room with an eternity of pain, suffering and agony... But then took offense to a couple of lousy jokes that kids tell each other in school?

Where is the logic here? Do they not find threats of hell offensive? Yeah I know hell isnt real, but that guy thinks it is... And his intent offends me.

Its like me saying you deserve to be sliced open with a knife, to me that knife is very real and my intent is very real... And the malice is very real. But back on track, how can jokes be offensive, but saying people deserve eternal torture is fine?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like TheStraightener's post
11-08-2015, 05:21 PM
RE: My Mothers Wedding
God sends people to hell, so it is okay. But as far as we know God has never told a joke, as he has absolutely no sense of humor, therefore it is not okay.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
11-08-2015, 07:46 PM
(11-08-2015 04:33 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  So last weekend my mother got married, low key affair but her husband thought it would be nice to have someone do a religious reading.

Fairly harmless stuff about love etc but the guy had to throw in the obligatory threat of hell for not accepting Jesus. Can't beat a threat of eternal torment on a Saturday morning.

Anyway, later in the day there was a singer/comedian. Usual stuff.. Penny Arcade, daydream believer etc. With a few lousy rude jokes in between. The guy who did the reading got offended by these jokes and took his wife into the next room. I was dumbfounded by this . The guy had NO problems threatening the entire room with an eternity of pain, suffering and agony... But then took offense to a couple of lousy jokes that kids tell each other in school?

Where is the logic here? Do they not find threats of hell offensive? Yeah I know hell isnt real, but that guy thinks it is... And his intent offends me.

Its like me saying you deserve to be sliced open with a knife, to me that knife is very real and my intent is very real... And the malice is very real. But back on track, how can jokes be offensive, but saying people deserve eternal torture is fine?

Why would you expect him to be logical? might as well look for mushrooms on the moon.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
11-08-2015, 08:13 PM
(11-08-2015 04:33 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  ... The guy who did the reading got offended by these jokes and took his wife into the next room ...

I wonder if she went willingly.
11-08-2015, 08:21 PM
(11-08-2015 05:21 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  God sends people to hell, so it is okay. But as far as we know God has never told a joke, as he has absolutely no sense of humor, therefore it is not okay.

If God exist he made a joke. It's called a religion.
11-08-2015, 10:17 PM
(11-08-2015 05:21 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  God sends people to hell, so it is okay. But as far as we know God has never told a joke, as he has absolutely no sense of humor, therefore it is not okay.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
11-08-2015, 11:23 PM
Let's see. You're examining the religious behavior of religious people engaged in religious-based antisocial disapproval. And you're asking:

(11-08-2015 04:33 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  Where is the logic here?

Found your problem! Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
12-08-2015, 08:16 AM
If god created everything, didn't he create all humor, including crude humor? Doesn't the preacher know that when we tell crude jokes, we are honoring god's creation?
12-08-2015, 09:05 AM
(11-08-2015 04:33 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  So last weekend my mother got married, low key affair but her husband thought it would be nice to have someone do a religious reading.

I recently attended my brother in laws wedding and they are very religious. The kid marrying them said the same things about hell but also told everyone that they are worthless without Jesus and then went on about how the man rules over his wife and gets to enjoy her but the wife only gets to rule over their children if they decide to go that route. Basically the whole wedding was more about jesus than about the 2 people getting married. I had to try very hard to not just burst out in laughter after everything this kid preacher had to say.
12-08-2015, 09:14 AM

I refer you to the platypus.
[Image: Scientia-platypus-swimming.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like Mr. Boston's post