I don't like mac and cheese, I tried it once, I threw up Sad

For everything else, I cook better than my mum and your mum Big Grin

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like nach_in's post
23-08-2012, 05:13 PM
RE: My Mum's macaroni and cheese
My brother cooks once in a while. He uses a lot of different cheeses, he puts spices on the table, and steams the broccoli, separately, cooks the macarroni separately, fries the bacon separately, and puts it in a big separate bowl. You "make your own", however you want it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

23-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Mac N Cheese

Ingredients

500gMacaroni Pasta, Cooked
Knob of WESTERN STAR BUTTER
Fresh Oregano
2 ½ CupsPERFECT ITALIANO 4 CHEESE BLEND
Salt and pepper to taste

Method

Heat the butter in a pan, add oregano and cooked pasta. Stir through Perfect Italiano 4 Cheese Blend until melted.
Add salt and pepper, and pour into baking dish. Sprinkle over some extra Perfect Italiano Four Cheese Blend and bake in a 180C oven for 10 minutes until golden and crispy on top.
Tip: Add a lightly beaten egg, Perfect Italiano Ricotta and shredded ham for a variation of this classic.

Notes: Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes

OR

Truffle Mac N Cheese

Ingredients

400g dried macaroni
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 rashers smoky bacon, diced
500ml pure cream
125gcoarsely grated cheddar
250g coarsely grated Gruyere
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
100gfreshly grated parmesan
½ cupfresh breadcrumbs
20gfresh truffle, finely grated, to serve

Method
1. Grease a 1.5L baking dish with butter or oil spray. Cook the macaroni in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain and refresh in iced water. Drain again and place in a large bowl.

2. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until golden. Drain on paper towel and stir into the macaroni.

3. Return the pan to heat, add cream and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat, gradually add cheddar and Gruyere, stirring until melted.

4. Combine the garlic, paprika and mustard to form a paste, stir into cream mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add cooked macaroni and stir to combine.

5. Heat a grill to high. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle over parmesan and breadcrumbs and grill until top is crisp and golden. Finely grate truffle over the top and serve with salad.

Both of these recipes come from the 'MasterChef Australia' cooking site.

Cook it up!!!

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 2 users Like aurora's post
23-08-2012, 09:13 PM
(23-08-2012 03:16 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Mac and cheese done right is far from simple. The proper blend of the right cheeses, adding bacon and onion at the appropriate time, baking the mixture afterwards.......it all comes together to make a dish that is not even similar to KD.

The baking makes the biggest difference between ordinary and extraordinary.

I couldn't enjoy pasta after my prediabetes diagnosis until Dreamfields figured out how to make a low glycemic index pasta. The family don't notice any difference and it don't spike my sugars. Thumbsup

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post