My Neck of the Woods

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-10-2010, 04:41 PM
RE: My Neck of the Woods
So my neighbor across the street, whom I don't really know, owns a jewelry store in a not-so-nice part of Philadelphia. Yesterday at 11 AM 2 men came in and pointed guns at his two employees and demanded I guess all the jewelry and money. He was in the back. He grabs his gun and comes out shooting. He shoots, and kills, one of the men - a 22 year old con who had (so I hear but have not confirmed) escaped from a Philadelphia jail about 10 days ago. The second, as of yet unidentified man, shot and killed him.

My street has been flooded with cops and news vehicles a good chunk of the day. What a tragedy.

Like I said, I really didn't know him. I've been here 2 years and my neighbors are a mix of people with young families and people who's kids are pretty much grown and out of the house. He was the latter and was 67 with grown kids and lived in the house with his wife. I sort of know her because she likes to come and say "hi" to my dog when I'm out with her but I think I met him once. And now I guess I never will.

On a side note, I think he was really stupid to come out shooting like that. He not only got himself killed but could have gotten his employees killed too. What an absolute tragedy and waste.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-10-2010, 04:46 PM
Uhm , I may be exceptionally thick but is the purpose of this post to report events in our part of the world ?
22-10-2010, 04:58 PM
yes. "neck of of the woods" is a euphemism for where you live. I thought that was fairly universal, but guess not. Plus, I know English is not the first language of some of you so maybe the title wasn't all that well thought out.

Hey, I don't name 'em, I just post in 'em.

22-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Update: Gainesville Fl. minister accepts new Hyundai auto for not carrying out Quarn burning. He reportedly had huge amount of security when taking possesion of car. He also has moved his church to Tampa Fl.
22-10-2010, 06:07 PM
From one of my local car dealers (when I was more local to that area anyway), Brad Benson Hyundai. I love Brad. He played for both my teams (Penn State and the NY Giants) and his radio commercials are hilarious.

No lose scenario for him as he gets loads of free publicity from this.

22-10-2010, 06:55 PM
Also from Florida, we have become the last state out of 50 states to finally allow gay and lesbian adoption. This only happened because right wing career politician Bill McCollum, the attorney general, lost his bid for governer in the primary election. He would rather have had kids bounced from foster home to foster home than to have had a loving home with people he saw as sexual perverts.

'
22-10-2010, 07:46 PM

Rainbow RE: My Neck of the Woods
(22-10-2010 06:55 PM)jmick Wrote:  Also from Florida, we have become the last state out of 50 states to finally allow gay and lesbian adoption. This only happened because right wing career politician Bill McCollum, the attorney general, lost his bid for governer in the primary election. He would rather have had kids bounced from foster home to foster home than to have had a loving home with people he saw as sexual perverts.
I read about this. It's about time. When I lived in Florida not only were Gays prohibited from adoption, but interracial adoption was prohibited also. I don't know if that is still the case, however.

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family." Stephen Colbert

I don't really know what's happening in my neck of the woods. We have a lot of big city transplants here, and since gang tag graffiti started showing up, I'd rather not look. Dodgy(At local newspapers or news broadcasts)
(03-09-2010 07:57 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Neighbor had a skunk in his garbage last night. I shot a skunk today. Hope it was the same one.
Why on earth, would you shoot a skunk? Sad
Quote this message in a reply
23-10-2010, 12:06 AM
Well , my neck of the woods only has the "usual" (unusual for normal sane people) - death , murder , rape , car crash (felon gets away due to bribe) , destruction , poverty , insanity.

I swear , turning the TV on to watch the news is like asking politely for a form of mental illness.
23-10-2010, 12:09 PM

(23-10-2010 12:06 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Well , my neck of the woods only has the "usual" (unusual for normal sane people) - death , murder , rape , car crash (felon gets away due to bribe) , destruction , poverty , insanity.

I swear , turning the TV on to watch the news is like asking politely for a form of mental illness.
And to think, we pay property taxes for the joy of living in the midst of all that.

Undecided
Quote this message in a reply
23-10-2010, 05:11 PM
In the town that I grew up in, and where my parents, sister and brother-in-law live, the present mayor is running for re-election. Nothing unusual there, until you learn that he has been caught shoplifting at a local hardware store, he has been driven home at least twice by the police when he was caught drinking and driving (no charges have been laid) and he is the prime suspect in a murder case involving the shooting of his wife a few months ago. Huh