My New Hypothesis

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-07-2015, 10:09 PM
My New Hypothesis
The other day I was ticketed for an illegal U-Turn. I expect to prevail in court on it - the road signage was poor, and in fact the road signage was changed a month later.

What's interesting is that the CHP has been staking this intersection out, parked downrange a hundred yards waiting for people who couldn't see the signage to make a U-Turn right into the officer's lair, like a spider. Since the change the stakeouts have ceased.

We're all familiar with speed traps, and that speed traps are very real. We're also familiar with the endlessly denied but undeniable truth that collecting fines takes priority over improving safety - e.g. staking out a badly signed intersection to issue fines rather than fix the signage. I know the CHP wasn't the agency that got the signage fixed in my case because the signage was fixed because I told the county traffic engineering there was a problem there and they fixed it - and promptly.

This has led me to a hypothesis:

Traffic stakeouts, even for speeding, are evidence that the road engineering at the stakeout location is poor - signage, markings, grade, what have you. The stakeouts are made at locations that have higher violation rates than locations not being staked out. Now, either all the bad drivers just happen flock together at these stakeout locations, or everyday average drivers are simply being ensnared by poor road engineering.

If true, this hypothesis has several repercussions.

First, if ticketed by a cop that's staked out the location, do a little research and find out what's bad. Then go to court and likely prevail by arguing that the poor road situation made the violation inevitable, or unavoidable in your particular circumstances.

Second, it would improve road safety if traffic stakeouts and violation rates at the stakeouts could be entered into a central clearing house of some kind, from which work orders would be created to fix whatever the problem is (or at least ameliorate it). In other words, when the police find profitable stakeout sites, it's an efficient way to identify hazardous road configurations.

There'll be no help whatsoever from police departments or municipalities setting anything like this up - it defeats their revenue engine. But if it could get set up, I'd wager lives saved as a result of it, as well as a reduction in injury and property damage.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-07-2015, 11:15 PM
RE: My New Hypothesis
Hrm, the algorithm would have to take into account that often, cops also learn which areas are best engineered, thus encouraging speeding, or in areas that simply provide good cover for copcar hidey-holes. Perhaps if one discounted speeding tickets, but watched for patterns of other types of citation.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
20-07-2015, 07:30 AM
The easiest revenue scams for municipalities are red light cameras. Heck you don't have to pay anyone to generate this income except the traffic court judge. The little municipality I live in (pop 5,000) was raking in $200k a month from 6 red light cameras.
If red light cameras worked and induced people not to run a red light, everyone would qut running red lights and the scam would end.
Unfortunately for my town's coffers, road construction has forced them to suspend operations of the cameras.
20-07-2015, 08:20 AM
There used to be a cop car parked in the median of the I-90, with a dummy cop in it. Drivers did slow down until word got out.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
20-07-2015, 08:29 AM
APK,
In IT Service Management, these mechanisms are well understood.

The processes are called: Incident, Problem and Change Management.

Lemme know if you want the Governance components and the process flow diagrams.

The same patterns apply to healthcare: Symptoms, Diseases and Surgery.

Smile

20-07-2015, 09:54 AM
I got a ticket years back in Allegan Michigan - for -- I shit you not --- 36 mph in a 35 zone................

I was working serious overtime on a top vendor's project at the time so going to court on it was out of the quesiton....

cost me 75 bucks.....

fucking asshole cop, justifying his pathetic little existence....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.