My Parents think I am possesed for becoming an atheist...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-07-2016, 05:11 AM
My Parents think I am possesed for becoming an atheist...
Dear amazing new family!

I have recently become an atheist (after using my head..) And decided to keep it a secret for as long as I could. But I just couldn't take it anymore. My mother always thanking the 'good' lord for everything he is doing for us. And my dad, constantly referencing the Bible to explain things to me. I guess the best way I can explain what I did was, I snapped.

I am also struggling with weight loss and depression. I was clinically diagnosed with depression. So I asked my mum to help me find a therapist. Her answer? I didn't need one, I should pray more... That was the breaking point, so I told her I don't believe in a God, and I need a therapist. She was so mad, and sad at the same time. She told me she couldn't house an Atheist. But I sorted everything out and they still love me. I get a bible and Jesus lecture every night... But if that makes them happy, go for it. I guess.

My question is,
How can I get my parents to accept my Atheism?

My best friend has expected my change in beliefs (lack of them) without a smirk. He still respects me and encourages me to be myself. How can I get my parents to behave the same way?

True order lives in chaos Evil_monster
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TheIronCaterpillar's post
30-07-2016, 06:36 AM
RE: My Parents think I am possesed for becoming an atheist...
It's nothing that 15 or 20 years won't cure..........

Smartassed replies aside --

It will take time....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
30-07-2016, 06:53 AM (This post was last modified: 30-07-2016 07:07 AM by izel.)
First, off, though I am an atheist myself Laugh out load, I want to empathize a little, this must be difficult for you and your family. Their faith commitment is an important part of their lives and it is difficult to have their own child turn away from it. I don't know exactly what they believe, but they might be worried about your soul in the next life, or your behaviour in this one. If you don't believe in God, how do you know right from wrong? If you reject God, how will you be reunited with them in the next Kingdom? You need to accept that while we as atheists do not believe such a place exists, to them are very real, thousands of years of religious dogma will not wash away just because you came out as an atheist.

My advice would be to not mention your believe, or disbelieve, if religious talks bother you, pay no mind to it, just nod your head every time it comes up. At the end of the day, they are your parents, and only wish you well, even if they're wrong sometimes Smile

Best of luck...

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-07-2016, 07:01 AM
Buy a bunch of death metal recordings and play them loud.

Let us know the results. Big Grin

Sadly I can offer no real advice. In my country if you're really religious people think you're kind of nuts.

Maybe wear goth clothing and listen to John Denver records. Or Pat Boone. That'll really confuse them.

Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
30-07-2016, 03:21 PM
(30-07-2016 05:11 AM)TheIronCaterpillar Wrote:  Dear amazing new family!

I have recently become an atheist (after using my head..) And decided to keep it a secret for as long as I could. But I just couldn't take it anymore. My mother always thanking the 'good' lord for everything he is doing for us. And my dad, constantly referencing the Bible to explain things to me. I guess the best way I can explain what I did was, I snapped.

I am also struggling with weight loss and depression. I was clinically diagnosed with depression. So I asked my mum to help me find a therapist. Her answer? I didn't need one, I should pray more... That was the breaking point, so I told her I don't believe in a God, and I need a therapist. She was so mad, and sad at the same time. She told me she couldn't house an Atheist. But I sorted everything out and they still love me. I get a bible and Jesus lecture every night... But if that makes them happy, go for it. I guess.

My question is,

My best friend has expected my change in beliefs (lack of them) without a smirk. He still respects me and encourages me to be myself. How can I get my parents to behave the same way?

Time.

Continue to be yourself. So long as you're a good person they will have no ground to judge you. If you act like a total dick well you've got to remeber they are still your parents. I don't know how they are otherwise but just remeber they are human too. They are doing the best they can with what they know, and for them they spent the majority of their lifes with the dillustion that their faith was the only way.

This is your life and you need to do with it how you like (hopfully without hurting other people)

This next bit of advise is a take it or leave it. (Your choice) Often the strongest tool for fighting bible quoters is to quote the bible. One of the many reason i became an athiest was because I wanted nothing to do with bible. But when you here love this, and praise that quotes all the fucking time when you know there is really terable things also in the book you get sick of it.

Hebrews 10:28-29 Those who disobeyed the Old Testament law were killed without mercy. It will be much worse for those who displease Jesus.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...mmandments

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
30-07-2016, 04:27 PM

My question is,

I suppose you are aware that their Bible says they should stone you, not accept you.
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
30-07-2016, 04:43 PM
Ask them what's changed since you made your announcement. Are you different in any way?

And yeah, they may never accept it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
30-07-2016, 06:51 PM
(30-07-2016 04:43 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Ask them what's changed since you made your announcement. Are you different in any way?

And yeah, they may never accept it.

They may not.................

But -- what I've seen ---

The love of a parent for their child - almost always is stronger than the love of an invisible avenger..................................

Don't give up on your parents........ With time - it's likely they'll come around.............

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
30-07-2016, 08:38 PM

My question is,

Just let them know that nothing else has changed except your religion. You are still you. Take care.
30-07-2016, 09:29 PM
Is it still considered possessed if you enjoy the company?

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post