My Parents think I am possesed for becoming an atheist...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2016, 02:23 AM
RE: My Parents think I am possesed for becoming an atheist...
One thing to keep in mind is the fact that you arrived at your conclusion after a long period of time, rejecting one premise after another. They on the other hand did not go through that process but one day you tell them that you no longer believe in God. They're still steeped in the idea of having to believe to get into heaven or risk burning for an eternity in Hell. Their entire world view is based on their religion, their values and assumptions about what is good and bad. As an atheist you just see lots of people believing all kinds of shit which has no bearing on reality.

What this means is that you need to give them time to accept this new information. They're also trying to rationalise this new information according to what they think they know, e.g. demonic possession. Don't get angry or rebellious otherwise that will allow them to dismiss what you say about God. They'll pass it off as a phase or act of rebellion. If you do not act up then it means that they have to face the possibility that you are right and they are wrong. It's difficult to get angry at someone being severely deluded if they are trying to do the right thing. Which your parents are.

If you phrase it by saying that you see no reason to believe that God exists rather than that he definitely doesn't, then the onus is no longer on you to justify your disbelief, it will be on them to justify why you should believe. They are the ones who then have the burden of proof.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
02-08-2016, 01:23 AM
Perhaps they're confused...I certainly assumed, after your metamorphosis, that you would begin singing "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida", not claim to be an atheist!

Seriously...there's not much that can be done. You can't force them to accept you, I personally don't believe it's healthy to lie to keep the peace...it's a rotten situation for all of you. Religious zealots are incredibly judgmental and un-accepting, for a group that spouts such peace, love and forgiveness. Religion is the most ambitious brainwashing project in human history, bar none, so you can't really hold it against them if they're making any sort of effort at all. You indoctrinate people from birth, threaten them with eternal burning in a place of unimaginable human suffering if they fail to comply, and back these initial indoctrinations up with weekly chanting and singing and lecturing and reading...it screws a body up. Keep in mind that they are a product of such an environment, and make allowances. I wouldn't pretend to find god again, but if they want to believe they may be getting through to you by backing off and allowing you to rediscover the lord for yourself, I see no harm in letting them believe that on their own- it's often a defense mechanism, they know your true feelings but they don't KNOW your true feelings. So don't change your tune, but don't crank the volume to 11 either.

Good luck, and remember, there are plenty of us here willing to listen and commiserate!
02-08-2016, 04:17 AM
First off, allow me to apologise for my earlier flippant answer. I was trying foolishly to lighten the mood.

My real feeling is that you do not need your parents approval. That you lost your faith is your business living your life. If listening to them harping on about god is the price to pay, it is relatively small.

You will remain an atheist, eventually move out on your own and live your life.

I think your focus should be personal and not shared with them. Decide how you wish to live, what you desire to do, and follow your dreams. Create your own set of morals to live by.

Even telling them you will consider their ideas makes no difference to how you really feel. And it may make them happier.

You are obviously a youth, and your life is in front of you. You will be an adult far longer than you were a child and an adolescent. Your parents having power over you will diminish.

Trust yourself. Be careful what you share. And think about your future. Your parents are free to follow their own beliefs. As are you.

Good luck.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 4 users Like Banjo's post
05-08-2016, 03:21 PM
How old are you, if I may?
Because my answer may depend on your age too. Because keeping your safety and possibilities in mind, the age is important in this case.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 2 users Like Leerob's post
08-08-2016, 08:22 AM
I'm glad my mom had to work on Sunday. She still made my sister and I go to church but we just drove around town for an hour after going inside for the day's pamphlet as "proof" Laugh out load

Unfortunately, while you are still dependent on your parents you have little choice but to hear their fairy tales. I had to endure years of catechism wasting many perfectly good Tuesday nights. But now that I'm older, that part of my life is so small and distant by comparison. And it did give me the ammunition I needed to come to the conclusion that is was all bullshit.

My advice to you is to try to make it informative and/or interesting for yourself since you have to be there.

Ask great questions! Take notes!

Maybe your parents will get the point and be made so uncomfortable by you asking good questions they've never even considered for a moment that they will stop treating you like second class offspring. Who knows, maybe you'll plant a tiny seed of doubt Big Grin

But if anything leads to you getting kicked out, disowned, or punished then it's not worth it. Unfortunately in that case you'll have to stay the course and tough it out. Remember, you are not alone! Many parents try to force their dogma into the minds of their children. Be glad that you had the correct brain state to see through the nonsense instead of wasting your life with it. Many a poor kid has to wake up early on Sunday and dress up for their parent's particular sky daddy.

I think with a little help from your friends and family and most importantly time, everything will be ok Thumbsup

Also look into other resources for such as:
http://www.recoveringfromreligion.org/#home
08-08-2016, 08:45 AM
To sort of chime in on what Izel had to say, bear in mind that this is literally a religious parent's worst nightmare in terms of life choices/outcomes for their children. Yes it's irrational, and I certainly wouldn't advocate that you "go along" with religion just to placate them. Just remember that you had as much time as you needed to come to terms with your disbelief, whereas to them it was something that was just sprung on them and the exact outcome they spent your childhood trying to "defend" against.

My mother had a hard time with my atheism at first, but I basically told her that she had raised me to question things and to find my own answers and it was because of the curiosity and courage she instilled in me that I was able to finally admit that the "official story" of gods and religion just didn't make sense to me, the pieces didn't fit.

So anyway as long as they're not harming you or making life more difficult for you over this you sort of have to let them come to the idea on their own.
08-08-2016, 12:42 PM
Huh, your parents sound like fucking assholes. Anyway welcome to TTA, hope you enjoy it here.
08-08-2016, 04:59 PM
Looks like the exorcism was successful.

#sigh
08-08-2016, 09:29 PM
One does not 'become' an atheist but rather 'loses religion'.

Also, tell them to have a blessed day.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
08-08-2016, 09:43 PM
So did we ever answer the question of whether or not the OP was actually possessed by demons?

*ducks flying tomatoes*

What!?!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson