My Parents think I am possesed for becoming an atheist...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2016, 01:02 AM
RE: My Parents think I am possesed for becoming an atheist...
(30-07-2016 05:11 AM)TheIronCaterpillar Wrote:  Dear amazing new family!

I have recently become an atheist (after using my head..) And decided to keep it a secret for as long as I could. But I just couldn't take it anymore. My mother always thanking the 'good' lord for everything he is doing for us. And my dad, constantly referencing the Bible to explain things to me. I guess the best way I can explain what I did was, I snapped.

I am also struggling with weight loss and depression. I was clinically diagnosed with depression. So I asked my mum to help me find a therapist. Her answer? I didn't need one, I should pray more... That was the breaking point, so I told her I don't believe in a God, and I need a therapist. She was so mad, and sad at the same time. She told me she couldn't house an Atheist. But I sorted everything out and they still love me. I get a bible and Jesus lecture every night... But if that makes them happy, go for it. I guess.

My question is,
How can I get my parents to accept my Atheism?

My best friend has expected my change in beliefs (lack of them) without a smirk. He still respects me and encourages me to be myself. How can I get my parents to behave the same way?

Give them an ultimatum. Tell them that if they don't stop trying to push jesus on you, you will force yourself to believe that Satan exists and then become a Satanist.

Their choice, Atheist and everyone stops shoving jesus down your throat and everyone loves each other and not because they all share the same beliefs but just because, or you become a satanist and invite the devil into your home.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2016, 08:25 AM
(09-08-2016 01:02 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Give them an ultimatum. Tell them that if they don't stop trying to push jesus on you, you will force yourself to believe that Satan exists and then become a Satanist.

Their choice, Atheist and everyone stops shoving jesus down your throat and everyone loves each other and not because they all share the same beliefs but just because, or you become a satanist and invite the devil into your home.

That's a terrible idea! Sorry, Fox, but to people who really believe in what Sagan called "The Demon-Haunted World", that would be taken as a sign that he was already demon-possessed for sure, and would make his situation significantly worse.

To us, it's an idea worthy of ridicule. To those people, it's "reality" to believe in what Paul called "principalities and powers" (which they take to mean demonic, invisible forces; that's why the group called "Prayer Warriors" exists, to which both my mother and mother-in-law belong), in Colossians 2.

And don't even TRY to argue with them that Colossians isn't considered a genuine Pauline epistle! Scholarship, schmolarship, to a fundamentalist.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
09-08-2016, 03:00 PM
watch those videos (and there's a book) by Peter (I always screw it up) Bogazhan (spelling?) about how to make them into atheists. Smile

So let them ramble, then ask them all sorts of questions about how they came to that belief.

who knows you might be able to talk them out of their faith.

but mostly, until you can support yourself (house/health/transport/education/food) you are kind of stuck. You can keep pleading your rights of conscience - we each have the innate right right to choose our own beliefs/religion- since you are dependent on them.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
09-08-2016, 07:52 PM

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
09-08-2016, 09:25 PM
Don’t you just love that they are the ones who believe in invisible beings and somehow you re the one possesed... Facepalm Laughat

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
10-08-2016, 03:05 AM
(30-07-2016 05:11 AM)TheIronCaterpillar Wrote:  My question is, [/b] How can I get my parents to accept my Atheism?

Make a deal with your mom. Tell your mom that for every hour you spend in therapy, you will spend two hours praying even though you do not believe in God.

Prayer, done right, is mindful mediation. There is a famous atheist named Sam Harris that practices mindful mediation. If you take a mindful mediation approach to prayer, it will probably help quite a bit with your depression. Even if you reject the idea of praying mindfully, at least look into mindful mediation itself as it serious exercise for the brain.
10-08-2016, 03:07 AM
(10-08-2016 03:05 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(30-07-2016 05:11 AM)TheIronCaterpillar Wrote:  My question is, [/b] How can I get my parents to accept my Atheism?

Make a deal with your mom. Tell your mom that for every hour you spend in therapy, you will spend two hours praying even though you do not believe in God.

Prayer, done right, is mindful mediation. There is a famous atheist named Sam Harris that practices mindful mediation. If you take a mindful mediation approach to prayer, it will probably help quite a bit with your depression. Even if you reject the of praying mindfully, at least look into mindful mediation as it serious exercise for the brain.

Oh fuck Jughead's back.

Guys, let's find a club. This party is screwed! Facepalm Gasp Blink No Censored

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
10-08-2016, 03:18 AM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2016 03:25 AM by Heywood Jahblome.)
(10-08-2016 03:07 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(10-08-2016 03:05 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Make a deal with your mom. Tell your mom that for every hour you spend in therapy, you will spend two hours praying even though you do not believe in God.

Prayer, done right, is mindful mediation. There is a famous atheist named Sam Harris that practices mindful mediation. If you take a mindful mediation approach to prayer, it will probably help quite a bit with your depression. Even if you reject the of praying mindfully, at least look into mindful mediation as it serious exercise for the brain.

Oh fuck Jughead's back.

Guys, let's find a club. This party is screwed! Facepalm Gasp Blink No Censored

There is no requirement for God to exist in order for prayer to have a benefit.

Mindful prayer is mindful mediation and mindful mediation has lots of scientific evidence to show that it has a benefit. The OPs mom asked him to pray. Praying can be beneficial to him if he does it mindfully. Again, this is true whether or not God exists. So why should he not agree to his mother's request provided she agrees to his? He prays and benefits. She finds him a therapist and he benefits. It is a double win for him.

Why do you have to be such a prick and ridicule obviously good advice? If you have a problem with the advice....please criticize that instead of criticizing me.
10-08-2016, 03:35 AM
(10-08-2016 03:18 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Why do you have to be such a prick and ridicule obviously good advice? If you have a problem with the advice....please criticize that instead of criticizing me.

I was having a good day. I just got picked up by one of the world's best drum companies. Then you show up!

BTW, you know you're a cunt.

OP. Ignore this complete fool.

Minus 55 rep'?

Give me a break.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
10-08-2016, 03:52 AM
(10-08-2016 03:35 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(10-08-2016 03:18 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Why do you have to be such a prick and ridicule obviously good advice? If you have a problem with the advice....please criticize that instead of criticizing me.

I was having a good day. I just got picked up by one of the world's best drum companies. Then you show up!

BTW, you know you're a cunt.

OP. Ignore this complete fool.

Minus 55 rep'?

Give me a break.

Just because I am flawed doesn't me the advice I gave is. My advice stands on its own merits just as I stand on my own merits. Being unable to criticize my advice, you instead choose to criticize me. All that says is you are not very good at argumentation because you continue to make elementary errors.....like ad hominems and such.