My Parents think I am possesed for becoming an atheist...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2016, 03:56 AM
RE: My Parents think I am possesed for becoming an atheist...
(10-08-2016 03:52 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(10-08-2016 03:35 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I was having a good day. I just got picked up by one of the world's best drum companies. Then you show up!

BTW, you know you're a cunt.

OP. Ignore this complete fool.

Minus 55 rep'?

Give me a break.

Just because I am flawed doesn't me the advice I gave is. My advice stands on its own merits just as I stand on my own merits. Being unable to criticize my advice, you instead choose to criticize me. All that says is you are not very good at argumentation because you continue to make elementary errors.

You advise prayer, which does NOTHING, on an atheist website?????

OP. See how idiotic he is?

Pray away my cancer if prayer helps. I saw a LOT of people die praying. In fact they died more easily because they were willing to go to heaven.

Morons. This atheist could have died but to too determined to live.

Take your prayer and shove it up your rectum.

Dipshit.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
10-08-2016, 04:10 AM
(10-08-2016 03:56 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(10-08-2016 03:52 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Just because I am flawed doesn't me the advice I gave is. My advice stands on its own merits just as I stand on my own merits. Being unable to criticize my advice, you instead choose to criticize me. All that says is you are not very good at argumentation because you continue to make elementary errors.

You advise prayer, which does NOTHING, on an atheist website?????

OP. See how idiotic he is?

Pray away my cancer if prayer helps. I saw a LOT of people die praying. In fact they died more easily because they were willing to go to heaven.

Morons. This atheist could have died but to too determined to live.

Take your prayer and shove it up your rectum.

Dipshit.

I have prayed for you Banjo....I never believed for one second it would cure your cancer. However because I prayed mindfully, I do believe it benefited me

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/08...16045.html

I'm going to pray for you some more Banjo.
10-08-2016, 05:15 AM
(10-08-2016 04:10 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I'm going to pray for you some more Banjo.

Thanks for the thought. But seriously, person to person, I would prefer you didn't waste your time. Life is short. I may only have until March next year. We shall see.

No gods will be involved anyway because on this, a rationalist website, we see no evidence they exist.

Go do something worthwhile. I used to volunteer at the MS society. Do something like that. You're wasting your time here. Nobody is interested mate.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
10-08-2016, 05:12 PM
(10-08-2016 03:18 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Why do you have to be such a prick and ridicule obviously good advice? If you have a problem with the advice....please criticize that instead of criticizing me.

The problem is that you consider that good advice.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
27-11-2016, 11:33 AM
(30-07-2016 05:11 AM)TheIronCaterpillar Wrote:  <snip>
My question is, How can I get my parents to accept my Atheism?
<snip>

IMUHO: #1 Truth matters. #2 Explain back to your parents what it is you understand that they believe. And give them back their reasons for their beliefs. [This next is not easy but necessary] Be a better listener then your parents could ever be.

#3 only explain your reasons if asked. #4 let them make their arguments.
#5, Some questions you can pose: How would the universe be any different if there was a God? There not being any God, how is that absurd? 1 + 1 is 2, why does that need God to be true?

Hay, you might make atheists out of your parents.
12-03-2017, 07:37 PM
(30-07-2016 05:11 AM)TheIronCaterpillar Wrote:  Dear amazing new family!

I have recently become an atheist (after using my head..) And decided to keep it a secret for as long as I could. But I just couldn't take it anymore. My mother always thanking the 'good' lord for everything he is doing for us. And my dad, constantly referencing the Bible to explain things to me. I guess the best way I can explain what I did was, I snapped.

I am also struggling with weight loss and depression. I was clinically diagnosed with depression. So I asked my mum to help me find a therapist. Her answer? I didn't need one, I should pray more... That was the breaking point, so I told her I don't believe in a God, and I need a therapist. She was so mad, and sad at the same time. She told me she couldn't house an Atheist. But I sorted everything out and they still love me. I get a bible and Jesus lecture every night... But if that makes them happy, go for it. I guess.

My question is,
How can I get my parents to accept my Atheism?

My best friend has expected my change in beliefs (lack of them) without a smirk. He still respects me and encourages me to be myself. How can I get my parents to behave the same way?

I hope they come to respect you, and your position. I hope they come to accept your Atheism. I would still say its a wise idea to be prepared for the possibility that they never will change.

My best advice, when around them stay positive. They'll likely use any pain or sadness as a tool to manipulate you. Always try to focus on common values. I would try to emulate the friendly atheist around them as much as possible (I mean personally I'd fail cause I simply can't do what he can do). If you haven't seen him, he's on YouTube.

I say this a lot, but I think its important for people to hear. You aren't alone.

Edit* It's also worth noting since this is the TTA forums lol, that Seth is also a highly personable man and worth emulating if you want to soften peoples reaction to your non belief. And if you ever need someone to talk to, vent to, someone to listen, hit me up dude.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
12-03-2017, 07:41 PM
He/she was a driveby. Single post. Poor kid - hope the situation gets better.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
12-03-2017, 07:52 PM
That's deeply saddening, and for me kinda scary. I hope he's able to stay safe.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
12-03-2017, 08:05 PM
(12-03-2017 07:52 PM)JesseB Wrote:  That's deeply saddening, and for me kinda scary. I hope he's able to stay safe.

Unfortunately, this is not an uncommon situation - especially in fundamentalist families.

Remember: faith is a comfort. Angel As far as we are told.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
12-03-2017, 08:11 PM
Yea.... I come from one of the more abusive kind of fundie. I know this well, this is why its really... distressing.

Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post