My Parents think I am possesed for becoming an atheist...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-03-2017, 09:25 PM
RE: My Parents think I am possesed for becoming an atheist...
I suppose I was rather lucky when I came out as an atheist. My father and siblings kept their thoughts on the matter to themselves. My mother was the only family member to have a conniption. A staunch Catholic, she later told me that she was performing novenas at the local church, hoping to draw me back into the fold. As far as I was concerned, her actions merely proved the inefficacy of prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post
12-03-2017, 09:35 PM
The only advice I can give you is to keep seeking medical help for your problems on your own if no one will help you. My friend was a vicar and thought he could pray his depression away, it ended in suicide. As I'm sure you know you cannot pray you way out of serious depression. Please take care of yourself and all the best to you. I look forward to getting to know you on the forum. Best wishes Adey.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
12-03-2017, 10:15 PM
I can empathize. When I was living at home and I "came out" as an atheist I was very young, waaayyy before I was able to leave home, young. My mother, who couldn't fathom my stance, told me that I couldn't have my own opinion on religion until I was 18 by law (I obviously knew that was bullshit). My parents would constantly discuss religion at the dinner table just to get me to turn back to the "way I was". I sought out other people that were atheists as well to kind of get that feeling of belonging.

I just met my grandmother for the first time this year. When I told her I was an atheist she was aghast! XD Sometimes that's just how family is and you just have to laugh at it.

As for mental health, I can also empathize. When I was 13, I went to a therapist for the first time and was diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. When my therapist and my mom got into an argument about my at home conditions my mother refused to let me go to therapy, and I was ready to have a serious breakdown at that point. It wasn't until my condition was unbearable to myself and my family that they let me go back.

I'm not sure if your family will let you go to therapy but know that there are chatlines to talk to if you're feeling especially low and if you ever need to vent or to talk about your depression this forum can always try to help you. Smile
[+] 2 users Like Larai19's post
13-03-2017, 03:59 AM
As others have already said, it'll take time, and despite this sort of thing being a pain in the ass, they only want whats best for you. If they believe praying will help you, ask them to say a prayer for you....you know it doesnt work, but it'll mean something to them.

I've always been an atheist but my mum/step dad are fairly religious, and accept I don't believe, but I'm also mindful not to insult them about it, as at the end of the day that's what they believe, and I don't have to go to church.

For what it's worth I have Anxiety issues, and had a real bad bout of depression a few years back. They prayed for me, which I know didn't do anything, but it made me feel better knowing they were thinking of me.

Take it easy, and they'll come around.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!