My Personal Rant On Religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-04-2012, 02:35 PM
My Personal Rant On Religion
My dad just told me that he saw my computer and felt the "Holy Spirit" tell him that some of the MOVIE FILMSCORES I listened to were "laced with Satan." Religion is a totalitarian mental disorder. It invades your mind and makes you think less. Furthermore, it fills your brain with deluding thinking such that anything a preacher says is taken as the word given to him by the creator of the universe. I find it laughably absurd when I hear someone say that "God told them to do X,Y,Z..." As a flat-out non-believer who hasn't told his parents my hearing this kind of talk makes me feel as if I'm being parented by people are mentally disturbed.

Religion is poisonous for a society because it normalizes insanity and gives people false hope to the detriment of a scientifically, ethically, and socially sound society. It is just an accident of history believe that they can talk to the creator of the universe telepathically. In the case of Christianity, the belief is that one can speak to, not only the creator of the universe, but a specific Iron Age, Middle-Eastern, infanticidal, genocidal, monster. What is worse is that people can be educated and still maintain this delusive belief.

Consider this. If one wakes up believing that he can communicate with unborn children from another planet through his shower that person is a complete nutcase. However, if you believe that you can esoterically communicate with creator of the universe by speaking unintelligible gibberish in order to "change your spiritual atmosphere" you are just another Pentecostal Christian. It's absurd. It's insane. Religion is bullshit.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
--Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like ThePolymath's post
04-04-2012, 03:43 PM
RE: My Personal Rant On Religion
Indeed it is Big Grin

A rebellious atheist since nineteen ninety five.

I killed your god and replaced it with myself! So bow before my supremacy my sheeps.
If you think about it you will see what sheep means Wink
04-04-2012, 07:41 PM
(04-04-2012 02:35 PM)ThePolymath Wrote:  My dad just told me that he saw my computer and felt the "Holy Spirit" tell him that some of the MOVIE FILMSCORES I listened to were "laced with Satan." Religion is a totalitarian mental disorder. It invades your mind and makes you think less. Furthermore, it fills your brain with deluding thinking such that anything a preacher says is taken as the word given to him by the creator of the universe. I find it laughably absurd when I hear someone say that "God told them to do X,Y,Z..." As a flat-out non-believer who hasn't told his parents my hearing this kind of talk makes me feel as if I'm being parented by people are mentally disturbed.

Religion is poisonous for a society because it normalizes insanity and gives people false hope to the detriment of a scientifically, ethically, and socially sound society. It is just an accident of history believe that they can talk to the creator of the universe telepathically. In the case of Christianity, the belief is that one can speak to, not only the creator of the universe, but a specific Iron Age, Middle-Eastern, infanticidal, genocidal, monster. What is worse is that people can be educated and still maintain this delusive belief.

Consider this. If one wakes up believing that he can communicate with unborn children from another planet through his shower that person is a complete nutcase. However, if you believe that you can esoterically communicate with creator of the universe by speaking unintelligible gibberish in order to "change your spiritual atmosphere" you are just another Pentecostal Christian. It's absurd. It's insane. Religion is bullshit.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
--Friedrich Nietzsche
All I can say is "AMEN"! Big Grin
04-04-2012, 08:25 PM
You should play some Slayer for the Holy Ghost!

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
05-04-2012, 02:29 PM
(04-04-2012 08:25 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  You should play some Slayer for the Holy Ghost!
Slayer should be played at any given moment Big Grin

A rebellious atheist since nineteen ninety five.

I killed your god and replaced it with myself! So bow before my supremacy my sheeps.
If you think about it you will see what sheep means Wink
[+] 1 user Likes reindeer's post
05-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Once again we see the child be the parent and the parent be the child.
Only through religion can an adult have the irrational mind of a child.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
05-04-2012, 09:51 PM
(04-04-2012 02:35 PM)ThePolymath Wrote:  My dad just told me that he saw my computer and felt the "Holy Spirit" tell him that some of the MOVIE FILMSCORES I listened to were "laced with Satan." Religion is a totalitarian mental disorder.

Maybe it's a mental disorder, and maybe just an excuse. It sounds like your dad is personally uncomfortable with the kind of music you listen to and decided to impose his discomfort on you with a "call to authority"... he didn't want to admit his discomfort (because it was embarrassing or he wanted to avoid confrontation) so he pawned the blame off on God.

It's highly unlikely that he honestly thought God was telling him anything. Some believers just like to use God as an excuse to do the irrational things they do... things they'd be doing whether or not they believed in a God.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
05-04-2012, 10:55 PM
I agree with almost of all what you say, but there are cases where religion can be good. Say, if a person finds someone dying on the side of a forest path. The person decides to help the person to be a good christian, and to go to heaven. Completely selfish reasoning, but a good act nonetheless. Say if that same person was in the same situation, but this time he did not have religion. He decides to instead rob the dying man because they are not a nice person and have no incentive of a better afterlife. Though let us not forget how much violence and suffering has been caused because of disputes over which god is right.

Under Repair.
06-04-2012, 06:56 AM
(05-04-2012 10:55 PM)itsacow Wrote:  I agree with almost of all what you say, but there are cases where religion can be good. Say, if a person finds someone dying on the side of a forest path. The person decides to help the person to be a good christian, and to go to heaven. Completely selfish reasoning, but a good act nonetheless. Say if that same person was in the same situation, but this time he did not have religion. He decides to instead rob the dying man because they are not a nice person and have no incentive of a better afterlife. Though let us not forget how much violence and suffering has been caused because of disputes over which god is right.
Sure. Because it's a good act to inject fear into someone who's dying right in front of you by telling him he's gonna go to hell if he doesn't accept jesus.
Not to forget that the exact opposite could be true too. The christian person robs him and the atheist stays to comfort him so he actually isn't alone at the very end.
I really don't see where religion plays any role in human empathy towards a dying person right in front of you...
06-04-2012, 03:47 PM
(06-04-2012 06:56 AM)Vipa Wrote:  
(05-04-2012 10:55 PM)itsacow Wrote:  I agree with almost of all what you say, but there are cases where religion can be good. Say, if a person finds someone dying on the side of a forest path. The person decides to help the person to be a good christian, and to go to heaven. Completely selfish reasoning, but a good act nonetheless. Say if that same person was in the same situation, but this time he did not have religion. He decides to instead rob the dying man because they are not a nice person and have no incentive of a better afterlife. Though let us not forget how much violence and suffering has been caused because of disputes over which god is right.
Sure. Because it's a good act to inject fear into someone who's dying right in front of you by telling him he's gonna go to hell if he doesn't accept jesus.
Not to forget that the exact opposite could be true too. The christian person robs him and the atheist stays to comfort him so he actually isn't alone at the very end.
I really don't see where religion plays any role in human empathy towards a dying person right in front of you...
No, that is not at all what I meant. I meant that even though some people will do the right thing of their own accord, Religious or Atheist, some others will not do it unless there is some reward for doing so. Also I never said this hypothetical person was going to proselytize the person who is dying. Many religions also preach of goodwill towards others, even if it is only towards others of their own faith. Religion also has caused countless wars, genocides, and humiliation towards those who did not believe in their version of the correct religion.

Under Repair.