My Philosophy of Life

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2014, 07:04 PM
My Philosophy of Life
Over the past few years, I have formulated my philosophy of life, a 14-page document that may be found at:

http://philosofer123.wordpress.com

In the first half of the document, I present and defend a number of philosophical positions, starting with atheism and culminating with negative hedonism.

The second half of the document is devoted primarily to ways to maintain peace of mind. I have found many of these techniques to be invaluable in practice.

I welcome constructive criticism.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Philosofer123's post
31-08-2014, 07:34 PM
RE: My Philosophy of Life
And I welcome a précis.

Present them one at a time so that we can debate them.

Otherwise, it's all about you rather than being about the philosophical positions.

Looking forward to it. Thumbsup

31-08-2014, 08:04 PM
(31-08-2014 07:04 PM)Philosofer123 Wrote:  Over the past few years, I have formulated my philosophy of life, a 14-page document that may be found at:

In the first half of the document, I present and defend a number of philosophical positions, starting with atheism and culminating with negative hedonism.

The second half of the document is devoted primarily to ways to maintain peace of mind. I have found many of these techniques to be invaluable in practice.

Overall, I enjoyed reading it. Thumbsup I'm a high stress, high anxiety perfectionist in a high stress job, so philosophies on how to improve my inner peace are helpful.

This is where I have trouble reconciling two schools of thought included in your paper:

Triviality of life events vs living in the present

My actions are not trivial if I choose the wrong path or make an error. If I press start on the pump with nicardipine (drops your blood pressure) instead of norepinephrine (raises your blood pressure) on a fresh heart from the OR with a pressure of 60/30, I'm potentially going to have a dead patient on my hands. It's only trivial in the greater sense that we are all going to die. In my daily work life, if I make an error, a person could potentially die, I get sued for malpractice, I could potentially lose my license, and then my inability to work affects the well being of my family.
(That just stressed me out to think about.)

My present is not trivial to me because it affects me now AND affects my future.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
31-08-2014, 08:07 PM
Damn, I was just about to correct your spelling error, Nurse. Tongue

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
31-08-2014, 08:18 PM
(31-08-2014 08:07 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Damn, I was just about to correct your spelling error, Nurse. Tongue

Autocorrect on my phone is a bitch

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
31-08-2014, 08:38 PM
(31-08-2014 08:04 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(31-08-2014 07:04 PM)Philosofer123 Wrote:  Over the past few years, I have formulated my philosophy of life, a 14-page document that may be found at:

Overall, I enjoyed reading it. Thumbsup I'm a high stress, high anxiety perfectionist in a high stress job, so philosophies on how to improve my inner peace are helpful.

This is where I have trouble reconciling two schools of thought included in your paper:

Triviality of life events vs living in the present

My actions are not trivial if I choose the wrong path or make an error. If I press start on the pump with nicardipine (drops your blood pressure) instead of norepinephrine (raises your blood pressure) on a fresh heart from the OR with a pressure of 60/30, I'm potentially going to have a dead patient on my hands. It's only trivial in the greater sense that we are all going to die. In my daily work life, if I make an error, a person could potentially die, I get sued for malpractice, I could potentially lose my license, and then my inability to work affects the well being of my family.
(That just stressed me out to think about.)

My present is not trivial to me because it affects me now AND affects my future.

Thank you reading and providing feedback, Nurse. I agree that some events are not trivial in the overall context of one's life.