My Prediction

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-07-2012, 06:17 AM
My Prediction
I've watched a few videos on the Higgs Boson and the Higgs Field lately in the wake of the possible discovery of the evidence of the particle. In one video the physicist described the field as being like water, a continuous medium made up of particles... and then it hit me...

PREDICTION:
Creationists are going to say that the Higgs Field is the "Firmament" as described in the bible. BAM! God proven!!

As if the whole "God Particle" thing is not enough for a collective eye roll.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like ibanezerscrooge's post
05-07-2012, 06:20 AM
RE: My Prediction
(05-07-2012 06:17 AM)ibanezerscrooge Wrote:  I've watched a few videos on the Higgs Boson and the Higgs Field lately in the wake of the possible discovery of the evidence of the particle. In one video the physicist described the field as being like water, a continuous medium made up of particles... and then it hit me...

PREDICTION:
Creationists are going to say that the Higgs Field is the "Firmament" as described in the bible. BAM! God proven!!

As if the whole "God Particle" thing is not enough for a collective eye roll.
When they do, they will give credit to the distinguished Doctor ibanezerscrooge for giving them the idea Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
06-07-2012, 05:40 AM
But if you prove it, and proof denies faith… Not the Babble fish, but it’ll do.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Karl's post
06-07-2012, 06:04 AM
I would hope they are not that stupid. The "firmament" divided the waters in ancient cosmology. No one would suggest today that a. there is a quadruple-decker universe, b. that of the bottom three levels, only one was embedded in the Higgs field. But then there are YEC's running around. Who knows what sort of nonsense they might cook up, to make their old book appear to be what it wasn't.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein (That's a JOKE, ya idiot)
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
06-07-2012, 06:07 AM
ibanezerscrooge Wrote:The Higgs Field is the "Firmament" as described in the bible.

But we know it's our Noodly Lord's Healing Sauce. Have faith in the FSM and ye shall be saved.

Eternal happiness is rhubarb tart. - John Cleese
06-07-2012, 06:15 AM
If they do then it's just argument from ignorance.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
07-07-2012, 10:35 AM
This is a major confirmation of quantum theory.
Regardless of the religious spin, we are getting there.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
07-07-2012, 12:04 PM
But the Higgs just gives things mass, it doesn't create things, so how can it be god?

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
07-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Your prediction has come true. Someone on answers.com, where I am a special project assistant (think Wikipedia admin), just posted an answer to the oddly stated question "Prove that god is real?". Part of it reads:

Quote:You see, God is very real, and many scientists are not able to deny that fact. In pysichs, there is a thing called "The Higgs-Bosson" particle, aka "The God Particle". if found, it would prove that there is something smaller than quarks, proving string theory. String theory is a scientifically accepted theory that states that "there are 10 dimensions plus time, and that there are multiple universes. If found, the Higgs-Boson would prove that there has to be a omnipresent being, because multiple universes, or 'multi-verse', cannot coincide with one another without completely destroying eachother."

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Prove_that_god...z1zypRXkNk

I love how creationists like to jump to conclusions. It's like the business strategy of the Underpants Gnomes from South Park:

Step 1: steal underpants

Step 2: ...

Step 3: Profit!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-07-2012, 05:33 PM
I've also already had this conversation with my mother in law.
Me: <discussion about what the Higgs boson is and a overview of the standard model>
Mother-in-law: Well that all goes to show that there really is a god...

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.