My Race is not supirior anymore!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2015, 07:40 AM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2015 07:44 AM by EvolutionKills.)
RE: My Race is not supirior anymore!
(11-10-2015 06:12 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:Consoles are becoming more like PC's, but in doing so they are losing the benefits the consoles used to have in favor of gaining the problems PC's have but without the benefits PC's get. As of right now, the PS4 and Xbox One are 'PC-light'.
Weak argument. Of course it's "PC-light", it uses all the same hardware.
Was there ever a time consoles didn't? certainly not since I started gaming (ps1).

Try the PS3 with it's cell processing architecture, which is more akin to super-computer work stations than anything you'd see in a typical desktop (far too many low frequency cores, great at floating point operations). This is why you can see Microsoft start to roll out 360 compatibility (via software wrappers) on the Xbox One, but the PS4 is literally incapable of replicating the PS3's hardware through software emulation. Now the Xbox's have always been streamlined boxes built with almost off-the-shelf PC parts atop an x86 architecture, but before the original Xbox all consoles were custom built affairs.

Quote:They have their own operating systems, perform multi-media functions, are almost useless without an internet connection, have a hard-drive that often requires games to be installed onto, games often ship broken and are patched latter.
I don't see why performing multi-media functions is a bad thing?? A lot of people on my friends list use Netflix, it's easier than dragging your whole computer out to the lounge to watch Netflix on your 50". You don't even have to use any of that stuff. Like, literally any of it. I use several apps on my xbone that are gaming related (mostly achievement related) and skype sometimes.

I don't get this whole internet thing. Yea games often do require internet but who doesn't have internet? Seriously, who the fuck doesn't have wifi? If anything my PC is more annoying to connect to the internet because I use a wireless adapter stick thing which uses a usb slot and crashes on me when I use heavy internet.

So do PCs... In fact, every single one of my PC games is saved to my pc harddrive.
It takes maybe half an hour if that to install the game on the xbox. You only need to do it once and you're done. It's hardly a hassle.

Ship broken!!? Firstly, that was 1 fucking game... and that was only the multiplayer. 2nd, this is far far far more prevalent on the PC. At least you know it's gonna get fixed on xbox...

Chill the fuck out, actually read what I wrote. These are 'features', mostly negative, that didn't exist on earlier home consoles but are now a staple of them. It's meant to highlight how much less 'plug-and-play' consoles have become, while simultaneously gaining very few of the advantages PC's have always had. I mean hell, my fucking 3DS needs to be connected to wi-fi and be updated, something not needed on my old GBA, Nintendo's last truly 'plug-and-play' handheld.

Even then, this isn't a 'PC Master-Race' tirade, is an observation of how the industry has changed.

Quote:But the PC isn't locked into any one digital distribution platform. Whereas you have to by digital copies of Xbox and PlayStation titles from their own digital storefronts, PC users have access to Steam, Green Man Gaming, Origin, Good Old Games, or even buying from the seller directly; and their competition helps drive prices down, and we quite often see substantial sales and specials.
I agree with this to an extent.
Firstly, games are not sold exclusively online and so there is competition between stores. Second, there is sales on the xbox between digital games because developers are competing with eachother for sales. Thirdly, how often does a AAA game go on sale on Steam? And even when they do how big of sales are they? Certainly not the 75% off sales. The big sales are always for indie games or old games that nobody's playing anymore (ie: shadows of mordor). It's comparing apples to oranges.

Can you use any other storefront besides Microsoft's for digital games on your Xbox One? No? That's why you won't be able to pick up Shadow of Mordor GOTY Edition with all the DLC for $10 like I did a week ago on Steam. That's real competition. You might have to wait a little longer for a really good price, but a year from now Microsoft will still be selling Shadow of Mordor on their store page at or near full price, and we both know it; because they have a monopoly on digital distribution on their platform. This isn't an opinion, this is simple economic principles at work.

Remember what Microsoft was going to do with their console before launch? Register physical disks to each console, so as to disable the entire used game market? Because they didn't want to compete with used game sales?

Yeah, fuck that noise.

Quote:Consoles no longer offer the simplicity of plug-and-play, as they're now saddled with all of the bullshit of PC gaming but with none of it's benefits.
Saddled with bullshit? 30 minutes to install (which results in quicker loading times in game I might add) is bullshit? No, that's bullshit it's really not a hassle.

Obviously both have their pros and cons but to dismiss consoles outright is just stupid.

Which I didn't, but thanks for paying attention.

(11-10-2015 06:12 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  For example, consoles have far better multiplayer functions. Friends system, party system, party chat, in-game chat etc.. friends walls. You can instant take screenshots, record the last 20 seconds etc.. Kinetic is great, it really is.

All of that is available on PC, including Kinect if you want it that bad. It's an okay ecosystem, but there's nothing there that didn't already exist first on PC. Plus teh added advantage that even old games still have thriving communities around them, whereas the newest CoD tends to kill off the console multiplayer of earlier games.

Also, you can't have your own dedicated servers to host games after official console support has ended.

(11-10-2015 06:12 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  It is still plug and play, despite what you think.

Plug-update-install-register-crash-play is not plug-and-play. Operating a PS4 or Xbox One is a far cry from the simpler days of the PS1 and N64, simple as that. You may enjoy the trade-offs, but don't tell me they're at all comparable experiences, because I know you know better than that.

(11-10-2015 06:12 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  It's smoother. You don't need to worry about specs, you don't need to worry about upgrading it (just buy another one in 10 years or so, try saying that about your expensive PC...). Controllers are very nice. You can play sitting in a big lazy boy, as in play competitively. The graphics are still very nice. It's just more relaxing to play things on console compared to PC.

Which you can do all of that on PC. Also you can adjust how a game looks until you're happy with how it performs, something you cannot do on consoles. My previous gaming PC lasted me from 2008 until 2014. My current one has HDMI out of my TV and a Xbox One controlled attached to it, used it to beat the Witcher III in fact. Plus my PC has all of the freedom of actually being a usable desktop. If a piece goes wrong, I can repair it (or conversely, upgrade it) a la carte. With more freedom comes more responsibility sure, but if I have to put up with game updates and patches and broken launches, I like having the PC community there to fix broken shit if a publisher won't (like the PC release of Demon Souls, which was fixed within 24 hours of release by a single guy). What would your recourse be if Microsoft has never fixed the broken multi-player in the Halo: Master-Chief Collection? Nothing, short of a class action lawsuit.

You didn't have to worry about installs, patches, updates, invasive DLC, and other shit getting on your way of playing the game back on a N64 or PS1. Game consoles are simply no longer 'plug-and-play', and they've given up a lot of their charming simplicity and ease of use, but have gained very little of the benefits that come with gaming on a PC. This is not a matter of opinion, it is fact. Now whether or not you care that much or whether it affects your purchasing habits is a matter of your opinion, but that doesn't change the fact that the current gen consoles have a lot of PC bullshit but without the added benefits that have made that tolerable on the PC.

I've never before had so little desire to own a home console, and the only one I do want is the Wii U, because it has the games and experiences I cannot otherwise get on my PC. Undecided

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2015, 08:29 AM
Quote:Try the PS3 with it's cell processing architecture, which is more akin to super-computer work stations than anything you'd see in a typical desktop (far too many low frequency cores, great at floating point operations). This is why you can see Microsoft start to roll out 360 compatibility (via software wrappers) on the Xbox One, but the PS4 is literally incapable of replicating the PS3's hardware through software emulation. Now the Xbox's have always been streamlined boxes built with almost off-the-shelf PC parts atop an x86 architecture, but before the original Xbox all consoles were custom built affairs.

Interesting. It's irrelevant anyway whether the hardware is custom built or pulled off the shelf. PCs will always be hardware superior simply because you can upgrade a PC with the latest and greatest parts. PCs also are bigger so you can fit bigger better parts. I mean my PC has got to be at least 4 times the physical size of my xbox.

The point of consoles is to give performance for price. You can get very good performance for cheap (remember, you don't need to upgrade console for like 10 years and my xbox cost less than my PC which will be outdated in a couple years). A lot to do with economics (buying in bulk) but mostly because the specs stay the same and so developers know what they have to develop too. So developers can get very efficient.

Quote:I mean hell, my fucking 3DS needs to be connected to wi-fi and be updated, something not needed on my old GBA, Nintendo's last truly 'plug-and-play' handheld.

Even then, this isn't a 'PC Master-Race' tirade, is an observation of how the industry has changed.

I agree it's not "true" plug-in and play anymore. Of course it isn't. But that's reflective of the world we now live in where wifi is everywhere. When the GBA came out dial-up was the norm. Motherfucking dial-up *throws up a little*.
It wasn't practical to require an internet connection.

I don't see needing an internet connection a downside because internet is everywhere. And it's not unique to console. I can play Steam in offline mode but I can't download or upgrade anything. I can play my xbone in offline mode but I can't download or upgrade anything.

Quote:Can you use any other storefront besides Microsoft's for digital games on your Xbox One? No? That's why you won't be able to pick up Shadow of Mordor GOTY Edition with all the DLC for $10 like I did a week ago on Steam. That's real competition. You might have to wait a little longer for a really good price, but a year from now Microsoft will still be selling Shadow of Mordor on their store page at or near full price, and we both know it; because they have a monopoly on digital distribution on their platform. This isn't an opinion, this is simple economic principles at work.

Yea I get that but if you're buying shadows or mordor a year after release on the microsoft store you're doing it wrong. I might not get it for $10 on the microsoft store but I'll get it for $5 in the bargin bin at my local electoral store than I'll just trade it in for $5 when I finish it a week later.

Quote:Remember what Microsoft was going to do with their console before launch? Register physical disks to each console, so as to disable the entire used game market? Because they didn't want to compete with used game sales?

Yeah, fuck that noise.

Remember when you could trade in PC games or Steam games?
Yea me either.

Doesn't matter what they wanted to do. It's not in effect now and so is irrelevant.

Quote:All of that is available on PC

I know, the point was that console does it better.

Quote:Plus teh added advantage that even old games still have thriving communities around them, whereas the newest CoD tends to kill off the console multiplayer of earlier games.

Also, you can't have your own dedicated servers to host games after official console support has ended.

I don't play my xbox to play old as shit games.
And fuck CoD, that franchise stopped being good after MW2. (CoD4 if you wanna be meta about it).

Quote:Also you can adjust how a game looks until you're happy with how it performs, something you cannot do on consoles.

Because you don't need to adjust it, it plays on the best graphic settings.
A computer that costs the same as a console couldn't make games look as goodand play as smooth as consoles.

Quote:My previous gaming PC lasted me from 2008 until 2014.

And cost you how much?
My xbox 360 lasted me from 2004 until 2014 and cost me about $600NZD (around $400 USD).

Quote:My current one has HDMI out of my TV and a Xbox One controlled attached to it

So does my xbox.

Quote:Plus my PC has all of the freedom of actually being a usable desktop.

For the price of being a usable desktop.

Quote: If a piece goes wrong, I can repair it (or conversely, upgrade it) a la carte.

If a piece goes wrong I get a free game and it repaired/replaced free of charge.

Quote:With more freedom comes more responsibility sure, but if I have to put up with game updates and patches and broken launches, I like having the PC community there to fix broken shit if a publisher won't

What broken launch? Seriously, you keeping going on like every game ever released was broken. It was 1 game and it was only the multiplayer aspect of it and 343 pounced on the issue.

And game updating? Don't get me started on Steam game updates... I have 5 steam updates in the last couple hours. Every game has updates, console or PC don't pretend it's console only...

Quote:What would your recourse be if Microsoft has never fixed the broken multi-player in the Halo: Master-Chief Collection? Nothing, short of a class action lawsuit.

But they have fixed it.. And the single player has worked perfectly since release. Microsoft even included ODST for free as a soz about the multiplayer.

Like you said, Demon Souls was a cluster fuck at launch. Shit happens. At least, as evident by 343 fixing the issues, consoles have higher standards in that department (due to licencing).

No point asking "what if.." when it didn't happen.

Quote:You didn't have to worry about installs, patches, updates, invasive DLC, and other shit getting on your way of playing the game back on a N64 or PS1. Game consoles are simply no longer 'plug-and-play', and they've given up a lot of their charming simplicity and ease of use, but have gained very little of the benefits that come with gaming on a PC. This is not a matter of opinion, it is fact. Now whether or not you care that much or whether it affects your purchasing habits is a matter of your opinion, but that doesn't change the fact that the current gen consoles have a lot of PC bullshit but without the added benefits that have made that tolerable on the PC.

I completely disagree. Consoles are still easy. Yea they're not ps1 plug-in and play but short of maybe handhelds you're never gonna get that again and it's better anyway because updates and shit. But ultimately you insert the disk, install the game and you're good to go. Still very easy. You don't need to know a damn thing about PCs to enjoy video games. Want SW Battlefront on PC? Better have 50G of RAM and a GeForce GTX 5000 graphics card.. Want SW Battlefront on console? Sure, just buy it and you're good to go. Still easy.

It's hard to explain but games are just better on console. example: I have Diablo 3 on PC right. I played it a bit, I finished it once with 1 character. It came out on Xbone, I played every class to max level including Witch Doctor twice (one on hardcore). It's like when you play PC games you're hunched forward, you're using a mouse and keyboard (which you use all the time when you do normal computer things anyway), you're at a desk. It's harder to 'relax'. When you're on console you're sitting back in your chair, you're arms are in a more comfortable position. You're not paranoid about framerate or your antivirus windowing your game at stupid times etc.. You can see your friends online, easily join them. You have achievements, goals to aim for and something to show off (thus why steam achievements suck) etc..

[Image: oscar.png]
11-10-2015, 08:41 AM
Internet connection is actually an issue to me, though I realize I'm probably a minority in that regards. Nothing like whipping out your laptop in the middle of the boonies, plugging it into the extension cord you have running from the diesel generator, trying to log into a game, and realizing you either forgot to put Steam in offline mode last time you were online or, for whatever random reason, it has decided it wants you to log in today.

That's one reason I suppose I could theoretically see myself going for a console. Playing offline has never really been an issue with the 360, though I'm not sure how it would be on an XBox One. I already have the GAEMS Personal Gaming Environment. Now I'm being all indecisive again. First world problems... Tongue

'Murican Canadian
11-10-2015, 11:41 AM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2015 12:07 PM by EvolutionKills.)
(11-10-2015 08:29 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:Try the PS3 with it's cell processing architecture, which is more akin to super-computer work stations than anything you'd see in a typical desktop (far too many low frequency cores, great at floating point operations). This is why you can see Microsoft start to roll out 360 compatibility (via software wrappers) on the Xbox One, but the PS4 is literally incapable of replicating the PS3's hardware through software emulation. Now the Xbox's have always been streamlined boxes built with almost off-the-shelf PC parts atop an x86 architecture, but before the original Xbox all consoles were custom built affairs.
Interesting. It's irrelevant anyway whether the hardware is custom built or pulled off the shelf. PCs will always be hardware superior simply because you can upgrade a PC with the latest and greatest parts. PCs also are bigger so you can fit bigger better parts. I mean my PC has got to be at least 4 times the physical size of my xbox.

The point of consoles is to give performance for price. You can get very good performance for cheap (remember, you don't need to upgrade console for like 10 years and my xbox cost less than my PC which will be outdated in a couple years). A lot to do with economics (buying in bulk) but mostly because the specs stay the same and so developers know what they have to develop too. So developers can get very efficient.

And the only games that ever hit that level of 'efficiency' are platform exclusives, multi-platform entries almost never do, so that point is mute.

Also my point has been the loss in the ease of use and relative lack of bullshit of earlier console games and the adoption of more PC specific bullshit (registration, always online, etc.) without any benefit for the end consumer. PC's have put up with game registrations and a complete lack of used games because we have had stuff like the best digital distribution options and free online play. But when you see shit like online passes and gated multiplayer on the consoles, you can't help but wonder 'what-the-fuck'?

Quote:I mean hell, my fucking 3DS needs to be connected to wi-fi and be updated, something not needed on my old GBA, Nintendo's last truly 'plug-and-play' handheld.

I agree it's not "true" plug-in and play anymore. Of course it isn't. But that's reflective of the world we now live in where wifi is everywhere. When the GBA came out dial-up was the norm. Motherfucking dial-up *throws up a little*.
It wasn't practical to require an internet connection.

I don't see needing an internet connection a downside because internet is everywhere. And it's not unique to console. I can play Steam in offline mode but I can't download or upgrade anything. I can play my xbone in offline mode but I can't download or upgrade anything.

Except that Wi-Fi isn't everywhere, and your neighbor Australia is one of the most notorious when it comes to data caps; and now that we're at the point when a game patch for consoles can hit over 15GB (thanks Witcher 3!), the limits of the internet are a very real consideration for many more gamers than you may realize.

Quote:Can you use any other storefront besides Microsoft's for digital games on your Xbox One? No? That's why you won't be able to pick up Shadow of Mordor GOTY Edition with all the DLC for $10 like I did a week ago on Steam. That's real competition. You might have to wait a little longer for a really good price, but a year from now Microsoft will still be selling Shadow of Mordor on their store page at or near full price, and we both know it; because they have a monopoly on digital distribution on their platform. This isn't an opinion, this is simple economic principles at work.
Yea I get that but if you're buying shadows or mordor a year after release on the microsoft store you're doing it wrong. I might not get it for $10 on the microsoft store but I'll get it for $5 in the bargin bin at my local electoral store than I'll just trade it in for $5 when I finish it a week later.

But that's not the same, and you know it. A GOTY edition with $30+ worth of DLC, and it's a brand new copy. No smudged or scratched disks, no having to go to a store, and with Steam you still have the option of a full refund if it doesn't work. Can I trade it back? No, but you sure as shit aren't getting $5 back for a used game you bought for $5, you're looking at a $1 tops (and probably less than that). And no, you're not 'doing it wrong' if you simply wait for a game to hit a price point that you're comfortable with before you purchase it. If you're not any more interested in a game beyond $10, then don't buy it till you can get it that cheap. More interested? Interested enough to pay more? That's the determining factor, cost versus interest.

Will you ever see a major AAA title on the Xbox Marketplace or the PSN Store with all it's DLC for $10 a year after launch? No. Can you buy a used disk? Sure, and then you're still paying for the DLC.

Microsoft and Sony will need to be far more competitive with their online offering if they ever hope to justify an online-only shopping experience. You can justify that on PC with Steam, Origin, Green Man Gaming, GOG, etc. But you cannot do that on the consoles, yet.

Quote:Remember what Microsoft was going to do with their console before launch? Register physical disks to each console, so as to disable the entire used game market? Because they didn't want to compete with used game sales?

Yeah, fuck that noise.
Remember when you could trade in PC games or Steam games?
Yea me either.

Doesn't matter what they wanted to do. It's not in effect now and so is irrelevant.

See point above, the consoles are far from being able to justify an online-only existence.

See Also: PSP-GO

Quote:All of that is available on PC
I know, the point was that console does it better.

Easier =/= Better

PC's have had access to true VOiP with dedicated servers, such as Ventrillo, since before the PS2 and Xbox went online. There have been plenty of services that allow for social features, such as Steam, Raptor, and GameSpy.

If you want a simple solution, they're great. But they're not close to being the most robust or feature rich options available, and you lose the freedom on the PC to choose which services you want to use.

Quote:Plus teh added advantage that even old games still have thriving communities around them, whereas the newest CoD tends to kill off the console multiplayer of earlier games.

I don't play my xbox to play old as shit games.
And fuck CoD, that franchise stopped being good after MW2. (CoD4 if you wanna be meta about it).

Call of Duty 4 was the first Modern Warfare, MW2 was CoD6.

I don't have to wait for Microsoft to add backwards compatibility to the Xbox One to play older 360 or Xbox games. On a PC, I can play the original 1993 version of DOOM if I feel like it. You might not care, but the PC simply has the largest game library around because of this. Even older games that no longer work natively on current OS' have dedicated fans that have made them playable, and will probably continue to do so.

So if you're going to make the 'budget' argument in favor of consoles, you have to acknowledge that a budget PC cheaper than any console still has access to a game library several orders of magnitude larger than any console.

Quote:Also you can adjust how a game looks until you're happy with how it performs, something you cannot do on consoles.
Because you don't need to adjust it, it plays on the best graphic settings.
A computer that costs the same as a console couldn't make games look as good and play as smooth as consoles.

Witcher 3 at 15-25FPS on consoles says 'hi'. Yes, I could build a $500 PC that could play that game at 900p and at a better frame-rate than that. You can jack up the options and lose frame, or turn down the options for more frames. If you want to sacrifice visuals for a rock-solid 60FPS you can, but that's not an option on consoles.

Once again, greater freedom on PC justifies the hoops you have to jump through.

Quote:My previous gaming PC lasted me from 2008 until 2014.
And cost you how much?
My xbox 360 lasted me from 2004 until 2014 and cost me about $600NZD (around $400 USD).

I couldn't do my Game Art & Design course work on a 360. Drinking Beverage

Quote:My current one has HDMI out of my TV and a Xbox One controlled attached to it
So does my xbox.
Quote:Plus my PC has all of the freedom of actually being a usable desktop.
For the price of being a usable desktop.

Right, my desktop can double as a console but the reverse isn't true.

Quote:
If a piece goes wrong, I can repair it (or conversely, upgrade it) a la carte.
If a piece goes wrong I get a free game and it repaired/replaced free of charge.

How long is the warranty on those? Also they're basically invalidated if you even think of opening them up. Once again, greater freedom for the hoops you have to jump through. PC's can justify that.

Quote:With more freedom comes more responsibility sure, but if I have to put up with game updates and patches and broken launches, I like having the PC community there to fix broken shit if a publisher won't.
What broken launch? Seriously, you keeping going on like every game ever released was broken. It was 1 game and it was only the multiplayer aspect of it and 343 pounced on the issue.

And game updating? Don't get me started on Steam game updates... I have 5 steam updates in the last couple hours. Every game has updates, console or PC don't pretend it's console only...

No shit, and that's my point. Facepalm

The consoles now have to put up with the same bullshit game updates, patches, and broken release that PC's did, but without the other benefits that come along with owning a PC. One of the oldest positives in favor of consoles, not dealing with that bullshit, no longer applies; and what did you gain for giving up the convenience of games just working?

Also, Assassin's Creed: Unity and every Bethesda game on the PS3 all say 'hi'.

Quote:What would your recourse be if Microsoft has never fixed the broken multi-player in the Halo: Master-Chief Collection? Nothing, short of a class action lawsuit.
But they have fixed it.. And the single player has worked perfectly since release. Microsoft even included ODST for free as a soz about the multiplayer.

Like you said, Demon Souls was a cluster fuck at launch. Shit happens. At least, as evident by 343 fixing the issues, consoles have higher standards in that department (due to licencing).

No point asking "what if.." when it didn't happen.

Higher standards? Releasing an unplayable multi-player feature for a game that people only really wanted to play again for the classic multi-player? Those higher standards? Laugh out load

Also, why was that even a thing? Because people wanted to play HALO 2 multi-player, but couldn't any longer because the Xbox services were gone. Do you know what you could still play online just fine? HALO: Combat Evolved on PC. Oh, and DOOM, Quake, Duke Nukem, and Half Life Deathmatch. Laugh out load

They might have had those standards once, but now no longer. Why? Because now they can just patch the shit after the fact, just like the PC has always done. The PC had been able to justify putting up with this bullshit, but now the consoles have to do it too, and for what gain? What did you get out of giving up the convenience of shit just working when you put in the disk? Therein lies the point I've been getting to, why the current consoles are PC-Lite; all the same bullshit, none of the additional benefits.

Quote:You didn't have to worry about installs, patches, updates, invasive DLC, and other shit getting on your way of playing the game back on a N64 or PS1. Game consoles are simply no longer 'plug-and-play', and they've given up a lot of their charming simplicity and ease of use, but have gained very little of the benefits that come with gaming on a PC. This is not a matter of opinion, it is fact. Now whether or not you care that much or whether it affects your purchasing habits is a matter of your opinion, but that doesn't change the fact that the current gen consoles have a lot of PC bullshit but without the added benefits that have made that tolerable on the PC.
I completely disagree. Consoles are still easy. Yea they're not ps1 plug-in and play but short of maybe handhelds you're never gonna get that again and it's better anyway because updates and shit. But ultimately you insert the disk, install the game and you're good to go. Still very easy. You don't need to know a damn thing about PCs to enjoy video games. Want SW Battlefront on PC? Better have 50G of RAM and a GeForce GTX 5000 graphics card.. Want SW Battlefront on console? Sure, just buy it and you're good to go. Still easy.

Easier, cheap, for a lesser experience, and with more bullshit than ever.

You're still doing very little to refute the idea that the current consoles are PC-Lite.

(11-10-2015 08:29 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  It's hard to explain but games are just better on console. example: I have Diablo 3 on PC right. I played it a bit, I finished it once with 1 character. It came out on Xbone, I played every class to max level including Witch Doctor twice (one on hardcore).

Come on now, I know you're smart enough to not make sweeping pronouncement based on your own personal, subjective, experience. Besides which, it entirely misses the point I've been making.

(11-10-2015 08:29 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  It's like when you play PC games you're hunched forward, you're using a mouse and keyboard (which you use all the time when you do normal computer things anyway), you're at a desk. It's harder to 'relax'. When you're on console you're sitting back in your chair, you're arms are in a more comfortable position. You're not paranoid about framerate or your antivirus windowing your game at stupid times etc.. You can see your friends online, easily join them. You have achievements, goals to aim for and something to show off (thus why steam achievements suck) etc..

Good god, for someone that plays as much EU4 as you do, I thought you'd be less of a bridge troll about it. Rolleyes

Positioning is subjective, what is 'relaxing' is subjective; both entirely miss the point I've been making.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197986261935

Oh, look at that! An achievement showcase on Steam, who'd have thought? Guess what? I don't owe Microsoft $50 a year for the privilege. Tongue

Besides the point, but still, you brought it up.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
11-10-2015, 02:24 PM
Ya know, EK, Earmuffs doesn't have to be right to argue. Dodgy

Fuck console, cause Skyrim. Angry

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
11-10-2015, 06:20 PM
I've not seen a reason to own an actual PC in so long.

I guess if I played major games and cared about nonsense like my FPS rates or maximizing the graphical range on a game.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
11-10-2015, 06:56 PM
I kinda got left behind with pc gaming years ago. Over 12 years ago actually. ... in 2001 I spent about £1000 on a gaming pc. It was a fuck tonne of money at the time. By 2003, there were sooo many games it struggled with. ... Even though I still (but only just) met the required specs to run things. ... I don't know how many times I wiped it and restarted, I bought new graphics cards, updated the RAM, all the usual expensive tedious shit. Don't get me wrong, my hardcore PC gamer mates seem to enjoy that side of their hobby, if you have a good understanding of it, the inclination to do it and the funds to stay in the race, fair play. For me though, other than a few common features between the platforms, owning, maintaining and gaming on consoles and pcs is a very different prospect.

I am happy on the one hand to concede the master race title to those who can and do spend 3 gazillion quid a year, fuck with settings for 6 hours to slightly improve frame rate, or reinstall different operating systems every 3 months because their all singing and dancing new graphics card came out 6 weeks before their current operating system and none of the 9 drivers you found work. As long as the PC gamers understand that some of us console plebs just prefer to work smart not hard to get our gaming fix.

Disclaimer (I hope my post in no way reflects or shows any bitterness towards my pc experience) hahaha Smile

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
11-10-2015, 07:17 PM
(11-10-2015 06:56 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  I kinda got left behind with pc gaming years ago. Over 12 years ago actually. ... in 2001 I spent about £1000 on a gaming pc. It was a fuck tonne of money at the time. By 2003, there were sooo many games it struggled with. ... Even though I still (but only just) met the required specs to run things. ... I don't know how many times I wiped it and restarted, I bought new graphics cards, updated the RAM, all the usual expensive tedious shit. Don't get me wrong, my hardcore PC gamer mates seem to enjoy that side of their hobby, if you have a good understanding of it, the inclination to do it and the funds to stay in the race, fair play. For me though, other than a few common features between the platforms, owning, maintaining and gaming on consoles and pcs is a very different prospect.

I am happy on the one hand to concede the master race title to those who can and do spend 3 gazillion quid a year, fuck with settings for 6 hours to slightly improve frame rate, or reinstall different operating systems every 3 months because their all singing and dancing new graphics card came out 6 weeks before their current operating system and none of the 9 drivers you found work. As long as the PC gamers understand that some of us console plebs just prefer to work smart not hard to get our gaming fix.

Disclaimer (I hope my post in no way reflects or shows any bitterness towards my pc experience) hahaha Smile

You picked a bad time to go all in. Now you can build a monster rig for half that and it will be top of the line or better for 5 years and unless a major increase happens be good for 10.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
11-10-2015, 07:25 PM
(11-10-2015 07:17 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(11-10-2015 06:56 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  I kinda got left behind with pc gaming years ago. Over 12 years ago actually. ... in 2001 I spent about £1000 on a gaming pc. It was a fuck tonne of money at the time. By 2003, there were sooo many games it struggled with. ... Even though I still (but only just) met the required specs to run things. ... I don't know how many times I wiped it and restarted, I bought new graphics cards, updated the RAM, all the usual expensive tedious shit. Don't get me wrong, my hardcore PC gamer mates seem to enjoy that side of their hobby, if you have a good understanding of it, the inclination to do it and the funds to stay in the race, fair play. For me though, other than a few common features between the platforms, owning, maintaining and gaming on consoles and pcs is a very different prospect.

You picked a bad time to go all in. Now you can build a monster rig for half that and it will be top of the line or better for 5 years and unless a major increase happens be good for 10.

You aren't the first person to tell me this in recent months mate. Most of my uber pc mates have said something similar. One even went out of his way to explain to me about 'the rapid acceleration of technical advancement'. This was his phrase he kept going back to, he even told me he had graphs and things he could show me from 'the industry'. I declined to look at them, though i'm sure they were an enthralling read. Anyway, he is head of an IT department at Durham uni and really knows his stuff. I am inclined to believe him and you. .. Money is tight at the moment but i'm sure I will get another PC in the future but I think there are certain things I will always have a console for.

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
11-10-2015, 07:41 PM
If you stay behind the curve and play lots of older games like I do, you can get away with only getting a new computer every 7-8 years Wink

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post