My Race is not supirior anymore!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2015, 07:44 PM
RE: My Race is not supirior anymore!
(11-10-2015 07:41 PM)cactus Wrote:  If you stay behind the curve and play lots of older games like I do, you can get away with only getting a new computer every 7-8 years Wink

There are way too many games coming out that I NEED!!!! Wink

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Monster_Riffs's post
11-10-2015, 07:47 PM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2015 07:51 PM by cactus.)
^Patience, good sir. You only think you need them now, but those same games will still be there a few years from now, and they'll be so incredibly cheap when you pick them up in bundles or sales, so won't know what to do with all that extra money Wink

I'm playing through Skyward Sword right now, and my 5-year old laptop handles it like a champ. PC gets bonus points for being able to emulate most of the older consoles, hehe.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post
11-10-2015, 07:50 PM
(11-10-2015 07:47 PM)cactus Wrote:  I'm playing through Skyward Sword right now, and my 5-year old laptop handles it like a champ. PC gets bonus points for being able to emulate most of the older consoles, hehe.

To be honest. When I eventually get a pc again, emulators are high on my list of must haves. SNES emulator for the win! Smile

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
12-10-2015, 02:47 PM
I used to have an Alienware gaming rig. Played the early COD franchise (United Offensive was my favorite) among other things like Diablo. However it was a problem with patches, settings.

I got a ps3, loved it and then last December got an XBoxone. Sorry to the pc fanboys, it is just so much easier on the console. I put the damn game in and it works. I can what my friends are playing and join within seconds. Sure I gave up mods which were a lot of fun but the convenience was in my opinion worth it. I downloaded the Star wars Battlefront beta on Friday, was transported to Hoth 1 minute after the installation finished. Sorry PCs, you just can't replicate that.

PCs have their use if you want to have hardware that has multi-purposes, it just comes with a cost (time and currency). No right or wrong answer just preference.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
12-10-2015, 10:11 PM
Quote:Also my point has been the loss in the ease of use and relative lack of bullshit of earlier console games and the adoption of more PC specific bullshit (registration, always online, etc.) without any benefit for the end consumer.

Without benefit?
How about updating games, console updates, the apps you can use on the xbox, the media aspect etc.. You don't need to be online all the time, you can use it in offline mode. And I haven't had to register for any games and I've played most. I think with the exception of World of Tanks, Warframe and Smite but you know, free to play...
Oh actually maybe Hardline required an origin log on, wait no it didn't it was skipable so not even that.

Unless you mean register as in gamertag, but that's literally a non-issue. You do that once when you set up your tag, log in once and you never have to do it again.

No argument here though regarding online passes and needing to pay extra to publishers to play multiplayer for a game you already brought (with the except of xbox live in general, I don't mind paying for that you get free games a good service and it's like $10 a month). But than again I don't play wrestling games or EA sports games so this is a non-issue for me.

Quote:Except that Wi-Fi isn't everywhere, and your neighbor Australia is one of the most notorious when it comes to data caps; and now that we're at the point when a game patch for consoles can hit over 15GB (thanks Witcher 3!), the limits of the internet are a very real consideration for many more gamers than you may realize.

We used to have data caps, I am fully aware of them. We don't now but I do remember those days.

The thing is right, I see this argument and I respond with if you're gonna argue that it's expensive to have decent internet connection (which it's not but lets assume you live in the middle of the outback and need satellite internet), how can you defend PCs as the alternative when a) PCs are expensive and b) PCs still need an internet connection.. All those sites, Steam and others etc.. all require internet connection in order to download games. So how can "not everyone has an ok internet connection" be a valid argument solely against consoles? It can't.

Quote:Microsoft and Sony will need to be far more competitive with their online offering if they ever hope to justify an online-only shopping experience. You can justify that on PC with Steam, Origin, Green Man Gaming, GOG, etc. But you cannot do that on the consoles, yet.

This is fair enough that in an online-only model Microsoft and Sony lose out because they're not competitive. But the point isn't accurate because there are shops that sell second hand games you can pick up cheap (I can pick up a second hand game 3 weeks after it's release cheaper than I could get it 3 weeks after release on Steam). And I've never had an issues with disks not working. And PC games are not the only games that come out with versions of a game with all the DLC included. I have 3 games infront of me right now that come with all DLC included, Dark Souls 2 Scholar of the First Sin, Halo MCC (which is 5 games in one + spartan ops) and Destiny The Taken King. And I did own Diablo 3 which had all the DLC.

Quote:See point above, the consoles are far from being able to justify an online-only existence.

I agree, but my point is that they're not an online-only existence.

Quote:Easier =/= Better

It is though. When it comes to gaming easier = better (provided the quality is still good which it is). Ventrillo was a pain in the ass to use and you had to pay for it IIRC. (or at least the person hosting).

Quote:If you want a simple solution, they're great. But they're not close to being the most robust or feature rich options available, and you lose the freedom on the PC to choose which services you want to use.

What features? It's a chat function, not quantum physics. It needs to work, I need to be able to hear them and I need to be able to mute people. That's it. And you don't need to choose (even though I do have a choice because I could use skype if I wanted). The party/chat function does everything you need it too.

Quote:Call of Duty 4 was the first Modern Warfare, MW2 was CoD6.

I am well aware of this.

Quote:So if you're going to make the 'budget' argument in favor of consoles, you have to acknowledge that a budget PC cheaper than any console still has access to a game library several orders of magnitude larger than any console.

'Budget' for new release AAA titles.

Quote:Witcher 3 at 15-25FPS on consoles says 'hi'. Yes, I could build a $500 PC that could play that game at 900p and at a better frame-rate than that. You can jack up the options and lose frame, or turn down the options for more frames. If you want to sacrifice visuals for a rock-solid 60FPS you can, but that's not an option on consoles.

Once again, greater freedom on PC justifies the hoops you have to jump through.

You keep trying to raise issues that aren't issues. Wicther 3 plays at 30 frames. There was like 1 moment for a second or two where it dropped a little.
That hardly constitutes "zomg xbox runs at 15 frames!11".

And you don't notice the difference between 30 and 60. The only time I ever notice the difference is when I go from 30 to 60 frames it's a bit trippy to watch the 60 frames. But when I play 30 frames it's non-issue. I think about it less than I think about something I never think about.

And besides, you'd spend that money on that PC but you'd need to replace it in 2 years.

Quote:I couldn't do my Game Art & Design course work on a 360. Drinking Beverage

Duh..
But you couldn't play the games I could play on 360 at the same quality either.

Quote:Right, my desktop can double as a console but the reverse isn't true.

For the price of being a usable desktop.

Quote:How long is the warranty on those? Also they're basically invalidated if you even think of opening them up. Once again, greater freedom for the hoops you have to jump through. PC's can justify that.

What's the warranty on a PC part?
And you don't need to open it up...

Quote:The consoles now have to put up with the same bullshit game updates, patches, and broken release that PC's did, but without the other benefits that come along with owning a PC. One of the oldest positives in favor of consoles, not dealing with that bullshit, no longer applies; and what did you gain for giving up the convenience of games just working?

I don't see game updates as a negative. I never saw it as a negative on PC either.
All I can say is that games are getting more complex, bigger, grander etc.. and so with that comes more bugs etc.. Back in day there was no multiplayer (outside of locally) or very very limited multiplayer. And multiplayer is usually where the issues are (see Halo MCC). I'd rather have multiplayer and better games and have to "deal" with game updates (which are a very minor issue for like 2minutes once a month) than not.

Quote:Also, Assassin's Creed: Unity and every Bethesda game on the PS3 all say 'hi'.

a) ps3 b) Assassins Creed..

There's more multi-platform games that fuck up on PC and work perfectly on consoles than the other way around. I believe the latest was the Batman game IIRC.

Quote:Higher standards? Releasing an unplayable multi-player feature for a game that people only really wanted to play again for the classic multi-player? Those higher standards? Laugh out load

The single player was perfect. I'm sure making a multiplayer work where there are 4 different games involved was quite an undertaking. It's patched now and works fine so... They jumped right on fixing the issue and even gave everyone a "my bad" free game (even if it was ODST *gag* ).

Quote:Also, why was that even a thing? Because people wanted to play HALO 2 multi-player, but couldn't any longer because the Xbox services were gone. Do you know what you could still play online just fine? HALO: Combat Evolved on PC. Oh, and DOOM, Quake, Duke Nukem, and Half Life Deathmatch. Laugh out load

Can you play Halo 2 multiplayer on PC?
Also I would question the actual 'playability' of those games.

Quote:Easier, cheap, for a lesser experience

For a better big title game gaming experience.

Quote:You're still doing very little to refute the idea that the current consoles are PC-Lite.

Because PC-lite implies they are PCs which they are not.
They're consoles. That's like saying a motorbike is a car because it has an engine.
Yea it has an engine, doesn't make it a car.

Quote:Come on now, I know you're smart enough to not make sweeping pronouncement based on your own personal, subjective, experience. Besides which, it entirely misses the point I've been making.

Personal experience is a very important factor, maybe even the biggest.
I'm sure those here that have consoles can back me up on this one with what I've said. They are both a different experience (I'm sure that we can agree) and so that experience can be compared.

Quote:Good god, for someone that plays as much EU4 as you do, I thought you'd be less of a bridge troll about it. Rolleyes

Hey, I'm pro-PC. Given a choice of owning a PC OR a console I would pick PC any day of the week. But I don't have to pick either because I have both so I can swap between the two. I like playing some games on PC and others on console. The ones I like playing on console I like playing on console more than I like playing the same game on PC.

I'm not defending consoles saying they're the masterrace better than PC (which you are doing with PCs). I am saying that consoles have a place and are a valid thing and shouldn't be just written off because of some moot stupid points that people keep bringing up that just aren't true or are just a non-issue.

Quote:Positioning is subjective, what is 'relaxing' is subjective; both entirely miss the point I've been making.

No they don't. You're point is that consoles are shittier PCs. My point is that they're not because it's comparing apples and oranges.

Quote:Oh, look at that! An achievement showcase on Steam, who'd have thought? Guess what? I don't owe Microsoft $50 a year for the privilege. Tongue

Xbox achievements > Steam achievements.

Also, how the fuck did you put 700 hours into Fallout New Vegas? Like seriously, how did you not die of boredom? Don't get me wrong, that's a great fucking game but it's certainly not a 700 hour game...

Quote:Ya know, EK, Earmuffs doesn't have to be right to argue. Dodgy

True story, but in this case I am right.

[Image: oscar.png]
17-10-2015, 02:11 AM (This post was last modified: 17-10-2015 02:16 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(12-10-2015 10:11 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:Positioning is subjective, what is 'relaxing' is subjective; both entirely miss the point I've been making.

No they don't. You're point is that consoles are shittier PCs. My point is that they're not because it's comparing apples and oranges.

I'm not even bothering with the rest, because of this right here. Facepalm

You entirely missed the fucking point, again. Even after I explicitly pointed it out to you. Twice.

Consoles are now PC-Lite, becoming more PC like and adopting more PC like bullshit, but giving back less for jumping through those same hoops in comparison to owning a PC. Are they cheaper? They can be, depends on the PC and how much a console costs (like in Brazil, where import tariffs raise their prices a few multiples over typical MSRP in other countries). They are simpler, but still far more complex than they have ever previously been.

If it works out for you, great. Everybody needs to make their own subjective value judgement, but that doesn't change the objective fact that consoles have adopted more PC bullshit (i.e. the same bullshit PC gamers already have to deal with, but for which we put up with as the cost for our greater freedom) with relatively less to show for it. Whether or not that is a deal breaker is up to the individual and their own circumstances and preferences.

So get off your fucking console warrior horse, my position is far more nuanced than you've been giving me credit for. Some people prefer Lite beer, doesn't mean those people are wrong; but that also doesn't hide the fact that Lite beer is not a non-Lite beer and there might be some sacrifices involved in cutting those calories, which may more may not be deal breakers for some. So fucking quit it already. Dodgy

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
17-10-2015, 04:02 PM
Quote:So get off your fucking console warrior horse

Don't talk about Buttercup that way, she doesn't like it when you raise your voice.
*pets Buttercup* there there Buttercup, he didn't mean it.

[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
18-10-2015, 11:14 AM
(17-10-2015 04:02 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:So get off your fucking console warrior horse

Don't talk about Buttercup that way, she doesn't like it when you raise your voice.

Fuck, why can't I stay angry at you? You fucking crazy little kiwi you... Dodgy

Tongue

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
18-10-2015, 06:18 PM
(18-10-2015 11:14 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(17-10-2015 04:02 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Don't talk about Buttercup that way, she doesn't like it when you raise your voice.

Fuck, why can't I stay angry at you? You fucking crazy little kiwi you... Dodgy

Tongue

Because I'm adorable.. duh..