My !@#$%^& Room Flooded

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2016, 07:10 AM
RE: My !@#$%^& Room Flooded
They need to install a drainage system around the house, keeping the water away. Then they need to seal the walls. Then they need a sump pump just in case. Me thinks you're going to have to move for the duration...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-01-2016, 07:20 AM
(18-01-2016 07:10 AM)Dom Wrote:  They need to install a drainage system around the house, keeping the water away. Then they need to seal the walls. Then they need a sump pump just in case. Me thinks you're going to have to move for the duration...

Sealing the walls or doing anything on the exterior is a waste of money and just delaying the inevitable collapse of the foundation. The crew came into my house with jackhammers and separated the floor 12" from the wall, installed drainage rocks and plastic pipes, encouraged the water to flow into the drainage by drilling holes in it, and pumped it out 2 sump pumps. Haven't had a problem since. And they did it in a single day. I was most impressed.

#sigh
18-01-2016, 09:06 AM (This post was last modified: 18-01-2016 11:04 AM by skyking.)
first thing is make sure the roof water is properly handled, and the ground is sloped away from the structure. Many times I find it is just a blocked downspout drain or disconnected one, coupled with bad groundworks that concentrate that water right back to the basement wall.
18-01-2016, 09:42 AM
(18-01-2016 07:10 AM)Dom Wrote:  They need to install a drainage system around the house, keeping the water away. Then they need to seal the walls. Then they need a sump pump just in case. Me thinks you're going to have to move for the duration...

He mentioned sealing it but not a drainage system. i am sleeping in the laundry room until that happens. If I want to stay in that room, his suggestion was put my bed and everything else on pallets to keep it elevated in case it rains agin.

....oh El Nino is in effect so there is that. Which means well...rain.
Sigh...this place was freaking perfect until that happened. There was very little to nothing I could complain about and I was estatic about my basement room cuz I basically had two rooms to myself.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
18-01-2016, 09:43 AM
We have a sump hole, ditch thingy under our house with an electric sump pump system. Also our gutters are extra large and take the water away from the house. We live in rainy Oregon.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
18-01-2016, 09:48 AM
Rule #1 of living with flooding --- if it flooded once, it's going to flood again.....

Best bet -- move and sue for any damage to your stuff.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
19-01-2016, 08:04 PM
(18-01-2016 01:17 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  
(17-01-2016 10:57 PM)BryanS Wrote:  Well, water doesn't just come from walls, but has to come from somewhere....you live in a basement level that might have water seeping in? Burst pipe behind that wall? Plumbing from an upstairs unit leaking down a wall and into your unit?

It is a basement room, the water is indeed coming from the walls. They are leaking in from heavy rain seeming into the ground and after years of damage it is seeping through the floors. There are no pipes in the stone walls of the basement.

It happened once before six months ago he told me, but he thought it was rain coming in from the doors.

If there was a burst pipe, we would hear something and the amount of water for the water bill would show that water is leaking. So because it happened before and is not a continuous problem, it is flooded ground water that has erroded the walls and is seeping in from underground. Those electrical cords that are hard cased metal that run down from power switches and run along walls into being external power outlets, I am not sure what you call those but when we first moved in, the one in my room was broken off the bottom of the wall where the stone ends just shortly before meeting the floor which means the stone had to corrode somehow.

The only way it could corrode or crack the walls like that in a short amount of time is water damage.

That makes more sense. When a building foundation leaks from rain, the issue is typically one of or the combination of:
--poor grading and drainage near the foundation. There should be a grade/slope that pushes water away from the foundation, often with gravel that will allow water to flow away quickly.
--poor gutters and/or downspouts. Overflowing gutters cause water from the entire roof to impact the ground near the foundation leading to leaks. Improperly sized gutters or insufficient or clogged downspouts can cause overflowing gutters.
--If it truly is a high water table or saturated ground causing water intrusion, then the only fix for that is a sump pump

I can say the first two items above were the cause of water seeping in at the ground of an underground garage I park in, and not in general saturated ground causing water to intrude upward from the bottom of the foundation. Water collecting near the foundation follows the foundation wall to the lowest point and collects/intrudes at the seam of the floor and foundation wall. Regrading and adding downspouts fixed the problem. My parents new home had the same issue on only required fixing their gutters. My childhood home required a sump pump because water drained onto the property due to the general grade of the neighborhood land leading water onto the property from uphill.