My Sister Thinks I'm "Going Through a Phase!"

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
16-03-2013, 02:30 PM
RE: My Sister Thinks I'm "Going Through a Phase!"
Well, I read the OP and I see how all this can be maddening.

As for AA, well, it's good she cleaned up, but many of these places replace booze/drugs with God. While i don't consider it intellectually honest, I can see how it could be seen as a positive, at least a lesser of two evils. The problems arise when they get so gung ho they proselytize to everyone and don't mind their business. And they don't do it to be jerks, but the just can't understand that their experience doesn't necessarily translate well into other people's lives.

As for the "close minded" comments, that shit drives me up the wall. I was once told I am "not curious about the world" because I don't believe in God. I told her that the reason I don't believe in God is because I am curious about the world... People just use "close minded" as an insult toward anyone who doesn't share their point of view, though, which they assume to be true and correct and applicable to everyone.

Re: atheist website(s), tell her that, at least here, there ARE theists. It's the theist websites that are often a bunch of mutual masturbatory talking about being right and "saved," and that ban people for having different points of view. You don't get banned here for being a theist, but many theist websites/forums WILL ban someone for being an atheist or questioning the assumed point of view of the website. Who's close-minded?

Sometimes you can't win, though. There are people that I try to avoid talking about these things to, but it's hard when they are the ones who bring it up. Sometimes you can get them to cut it by telling them you respect their POV and want them to respects yours, but not always, since they fervently believe they're right and you're wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like amyb's post
16-03-2013, 10:57 PM
(16-03-2013 02:29 PM)Peanut Wrote:  I didn't feel bad by anything that was said. I posted to get it off my chest and in doing so, I EXPECTED people to be honest with me. :)

I appreciate all that was said by everyone. I take sobriety seriously as well. I want her to stay strong. In time, I'm sure she will come around and not try to shove it down my throat or beat me over the head with religion. She will eventually realize that she is wasting her time...

Indeed, things should get better. But, I can fully appreciate that until that happens she may become tiresome in her self righteousness.

Until things get better, you'll always have us to lean on.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
17-03-2013, 02:06 PM
I don't know; You atheists are brainwashing my puny, insignificant head that is INCAPABLE of creating its own thoughts...

I'm feeling more and more atheist every second I'm on here! This is WRONG. I shouldn't want to be around like-minded people. They only try to make me think for myself. That is WRONG.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 3 users Like Peanut's post
17-03-2013, 02:49 PM (This post was last modified: 17-03-2013 09:02 PM by Rahn127.)
Tell the bf "If you're gullible enough to believe that, then you're not the person I want to be involved with.
I don't even want to know what craziness that someone down the line will be able to talk you into doing.
As far as I know, you might try to kill me in my sleep in order to save me from hell because your god whispered in your ear."

"Why would I want to be involved with someone like that ?"

As for the sister tell her the following "You obviously have no faith in god's plan. Don't you believe that everything that happens on earth all happens according to god's plan ? My non-belief is all part of god's plan, so you need to come to terms with that. Praying to god is asking god to change his plan. You really should have more faith in god and stop all that damn praying. You need to start accepting me for the person that god wants me to be and stop trying to circumvent god's plan and change me into the person YOU want me to be."

"Now then, do we understand each other" ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
17-03-2013, 03:16 PM
I DID mention that "if there is a god, then why did he make me an atheist?"

She pretty much said, "UGH! You don't get it..."

Blink

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
17-03-2013, 03:38 PM
Theists don't understand questions very well, but they do get statements.
Make statements to her, don't ask her that many questions.
Also don't answer her questions, again just make affirmative statements.

Treat her like the child she is.

If she says "You're being closed minded"
Just reply "I don't think you understand the concept of closed minded. I can explain it to you if you want"
Be condescending

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
18-03-2013, 03:29 AM
(17-03-2013 03:38 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Theists don't understand questions very well, but they do get statements.

Just reply "I don't think you understand the concept of closed minded. I can explain it to you if you want"
Be condescending

This won't go over very well.

Instead just love and accept your sister for who she is or don't. Unless your sisters ideology puts her in serious danger, you shouldn't try to change her.
18-03-2013, 04:56 AM
Think of it like this.

In 1978 Bob Dylan was drinking too much. He discovered God.

He made "Slow train Coming" (not too bad....an unknown Mark Knopfler was on guitar)

Next was "Saved" and "Shot of Love," two of his worst ever albums.

Bob was too smart to stay trapped in that scene. Come 1982, he stopped singing about Jeebus, and made one of his best albums ever, "Infidels." His fans kissed the sky! He was back in the real world!

If your sister is as smart as you, her "Infidels" day will come.
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
21-03-2013, 01:30 AM
(18-03-2013 03:29 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(17-03-2013 03:38 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Theists don't understand questions very well, but they do get statements.

Be condescending

This won't go over very well.

Instead just love and accept your sister for who she is or don't. Unless your sisters ideology puts her in serious danger, you shouldn't try to change her.
The point is that her sister's ideology does put her in serious danger!
21-03-2013, 09:39 AM
(21-03-2013 01:30 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(18-03-2013 03:29 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  This won't go over very well.

The point is that her sister's ideology does put her in serious danger!

It doesn't sound to me as though you realize how much danger anyone is in when suffering from alcoholism. I still recommend caution.