My Sister, the AA Member and her Relentless Preaching

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2013, 03:42 PM
RE: My Sister, the AA Member and her Relentless Preaching
(30-03-2013 02:54 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Honestly. I know shes your sister and all. But I'd call the cops if they trapped you at the house and stole your id. That's terrible.
Yeah. It wasn't an awesome feeling No
(30-03-2013 03:20 PM)kim Wrote:  Chances are, your sister will be around for a while, Grandpa hasn't much time.

HA!! Ask her... if she likes your fiance so much, why doesn't [i]she marry him? Tongue [/i]
Sadcryface Yeah. He's the coolest old guy I know. I don't like to think of him being gone forever... DAMN IT. And she is a bit obsessed with the current boyfriend Consider
(30-03-2013 03:32 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  And if you need financial advise, PM me. If you need money, stop buying cigarettes and beer.

I don't mean that to sound rude but honestly, this isn't the first time you've experienced this behavior with your sister.
I didn't buy anything last night Drinking Beverage
Cool

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-03-2013, 04:03 PM
(30-03-2013 03:42 PM)Peanut Wrote:  I didn't buy anything last night Drinking Beverage
Cool

And I'm not wearing any underwear, so your argument is invalid.

You really didn't think you could throw Jefe off your trail with non sequitur, did you?

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-03-2013, 04:19 PM
(30-03-2013 04:03 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(30-03-2013 03:42 PM)Peanut Wrote:  I didn't buy anything last night Drinking Beverage
Cool

You really didn't think you could throw Jefe off your trail with non sequitur, did you?

It's what I do on a regular basis = )

I'm just saying that I didn't spend any money last night. It was a logical "defense" in regards to you saying I shouldn't spend money on booze and smokes. (It was the first response I had.)

Also, the fact that I originally called her right after I learned that I was broke at the time was just a small part of my ENTIRE story I presented. I would hope that people would read the rest of what I said, rather than sticking to one, minor detail.

The biggest issue in the story was that my sister backed me into a corner and made me feel trapped. She knew I wasn't gong to take confrontation well; She used that personality trait against her little, drunk sister. Drinking Beverage

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
30-03-2013, 04:35 PM
(30-03-2013 03:00 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  The problem with AA is it doesnt solve the problem it just changes the symptoms. Most alchoholics have deeper issues that cause their addiction AA just worries about the manifestation of the deeper issue without bothering to fix the root cause then it adds a heavy dash of superior condensation cause they "found Jesus".

That is both harsh and untrue.

While some people do react the way you state, that is not the norm.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
30-03-2013, 04:41 PM
(30-03-2013 04:35 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-03-2013 03:00 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  The problem with AA is it doesnt solve the problem it just changes the symptoms. Most alchoholics have deeper issues that cause their addiction AA just worries about the manifestation of the deeper issue without bothering to fix the root cause then it adds a heavy dash of superior condensation cause they "found Jesus".

That is both harsh and untrue.

Let me quantify that with an "In my experince" having known several AA'ers. I may be wrong and that is the minority, but so far nearly all of the AA people I have met fall into that catigory.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
30-03-2013, 04:46 PM
(30-03-2013 04:19 PM)Peanut Wrote:  
(30-03-2013 04:03 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  You really didn't think you could throw Jefe off your trail with non sequitur, did you?

It's what I do on a regular basis = )

I'm just saying that I didn't spend any money last night. It was a logical "defense" in regards to you saying I shouldn't spend money on booze and smokes. (It was the first response I had.)

Also, the fact that I originally called her right after I learned that I was broke at the time was just a small part of my ENTIRE story I presented. I would hope that people would read the rest of what I said, rather than sticking to one, minor detail.

The biggest issue in the story was that my sister backed me into a corner and made me feel trapped. She knew I wasn't gong to take confrontation well; She used that personality trait against her little, drunk sister. Drinking Beverage

The fact that you called her in need was the main point of the story, regardless the reason. Nothing that happened after you made that call was relevant, because the problem is that you called her in the first place. The bottom line is that your sister didn't call you. She answered your call. Thus, you initiated the chain of events that caused you to not have your ID right now. Blaming the circumstances on your sister is neither fair to her nor fair to you.

You're obviously in a vulnerable position right now and I empathize with that completely. But by putting yourself back into the position of being subjugated to your family, you're not solving your problems.... you're exacerbating them. If your boyfriend was beating you, would it be wise to go back to him when you felt vulnerable? Obviously not, but that's exactly what a lot of women (and men) do when they're in an abusive relationship. We do this because we feel as though it's better to be in a place that's familiar than to be in a place of uncertainty (Better the devil you know). Anyone on the outside looking in can easily see that this isn't the right thing to do. I'm on the outside and what I see is you going back to a place that causes you harm, presumably because it's a perceived place of comfort.

And what I meant by don't do that is, don't continue to call on your sister for moral support, because that's not a place of comfort for you even though it may seem familiar. Frankly, you're much better off in a place of uncertainty, because at least there you're forced to think things through for yourself.

I have no doubt you can do so, btw. You're a smart woman.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
30-03-2013, 04:53 PM
(30-03-2013 04:46 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  And what I meant by don't do that is, don't continue to call on your sister for moral support, because that's not a place of comfort for you even though it may seem familiar. Frankly, you're much better off in a place of uncertainty, because at least there you're forced to think things through for yourself.

I find it weird that people can say I should pretty much stop all contact with my SISTER. She is family FOREVER. I won't turn my back on her.

Yeah, she is a source of familiarity and comfort. I can't imagine her not being in my life. I'm not going to write off my family all because they are Jesus lovers. We've only just recently had these arguments; We are still learning boundaries with each other. I can't say how I'll feel in the future, but at this time, I'm keeping her around.

30-03-2013, 05:04 PM
(30-03-2013 04:53 PM)Peanut Wrote:  
(30-03-2013 04:46 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  And what I meant by don't do that is, don't continue to call on your sister for moral support, because that's not a place of comfort for you even though it may seem familiar. Frankly, you're much better off in a place of uncertainty, because at least there you're forced to think things through for yourself.

I find it weird that people can say I should pretty much stop all contact with my SISTER. She is family FOREVER. I won't turn my back on her.

Yeah, she is a source of familiarity and comfort. I can't imagine her not being in my life. I'm not going to write off my family all because they are Jesus lovers. We've only just recently had these arguments; We are still learning boundaries with each other. I can't say how I'll feel in the future, but at this time, I'm keeping her around.

I never advised that you should ignore her forever. You inferred that from what I said. What I said is, given that you're not in a place where she can help you (for whatever reason), you should avoid calling on her for help..... for now.

If you want to call her when you're not having a problem, to go see a movie or some such... then by all means do. However, I think it's pretty obvious that she is not capable of providing the support you need right now.

30-03-2013, 05:25 PM
(30-03-2013 04:41 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(30-03-2013 04:35 PM)Chas Wrote:  That is both harsh and untrue.

Let me quantify that with an "In my experince" having known several AA'ers. I may be wrong and that is the minority, but so far nearly all of the AA people I have met fall into that catigory.

I suspect I know many more people in AA than you do.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
30-03-2013, 05:32 PM
(30-03-2013 05:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-03-2013 04:41 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Let me quantify that with an "In my experince" having known several AA'ers. I may be wrong and that is the minority, but so far nearly all of the AA people I have met fall into that catigory.

I suspect I know many more people in AA than you do.

possibly, my count is somewhere around 20 give or take. It might also have been the group rather than the system as a whole since most of those People came from the same group.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense