My Son

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-06-2016, 08:21 AM
My Son
So, my almost 16-year-old son is really excited that I have loosened way up from years past, as far as "religion" goes. I am really trying to encourage him (and my younger boys) to think for themselves. However, he is now gravitating towards Wicca and doing spells and stuff. My response so far has been to explain the placebo effect and asking him to think if there are other reasons things happen the way they do, other than "spell work". I feel like I have kept it calm pretty much in our conversations, but inside, I am not so calm. I understand the importance of allowing my kids to discover and think for themselves. I have dabbled in lots of "woowoo" stuff and he has been witness to it. I really hope that he is able to find his way to critical thinking. Due to some emotional issues, he is getting ready to move out of my house and into a group home for about 18 months. He won't be able to practice Wicca there - it is Christian based, but not fully indoctrinating. I am so torn because he needs the help and where we live, the choices are few and far between. He will be able to come home for a visit once or twice a month and we will have phone contact on a weekly basis. Its not Teen Challenge or anything like that. It is a place whose goal is to help the kids educationally, and to teach them life and coping skills (so he won't physically or verbally attack his brothers or myself any more, hopefully). He is very intelligent and I know that he has the ability to think and stand up for himself and what he believes. I have made it clear to him that I am not sending him there for any religious purpose, but for his educational needs and to help him learn coping skills and stuff. He is very positive about the situation and is looking forward to a new start - he calls it "hitting the reset button" on his life. My other two boys are emotionally fragile right now, too. We have had some HUGE life changes in the past 3 years and life just continues to change in super emotional ways for them. They are both dealing with my oldest moving out in their own ways and acting out in various ways. It gets really tiring. On top of all the "life" stuff, is work and school.
Sorry for the rambling post. I am so glad I found this forum. Everyone else I talk to about this stuff just says "I will pray for you" but they are never around when I really need help.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-06-2016, 08:27 AM
RE: My Son
Hi,
Sorry to hear you are having issues with the kids...I think it's inevitable in most families...the severity is just different from one to the other.

It's good that you are able to get help for your son and I wouldn't worry too much about the religious component.

As for Wicca...I looked at all sorts of things when I was moving away from the Catholic Church...then I realized it's all bunk and stopped searching.

We are great around here at being an ear. You may have some people come at you with god stuff but it won't be many and maybe this can be moved to a protected area so that won't happen.

Come here to talk...there's always someone around.

A

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
28-06-2016, 08:30 AM
Hello Katha,

It seems like your life road is a bit bumpy, but if I can be honest, things seem to be going for the better in the future. I don't have children, so I'll let that part to parents on this forum, but it seems to me you're trying to do the right things and I see it's working since your son seems to be positive about it. I think all people experiment with beliefs, as long as you taught them critical thinking, there shouldn't be a problem, in my opinion.

Don't worry about the rambling, this is the right section for it. Just remember to split into paragraphs if you write a lot of text, so that it's easier to read, but don't worry too much about that. I'm sure you'll find a lot of support here even if we're not physically there! Thumbsup

Good luck for everything!

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 2 users Like The Polyglot Atheist's post
28-06-2016, 08:31 AM
I moved this to the support section. Carry on!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
28-06-2016, 08:31 AM
(28-06-2016 08:31 AM)Dom Wrote:  I moved this to the support section. Carry on!

Thanks Dom. Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
28-06-2016, 09:03 AM
I hope things go well for your son at the group home, and it's good that he's willing to go and looking forward to it! It sounds like a big, big step.

Regarding the Wicca, it sounds as if there are a lot of changes going on in your family's life. Your son may just not yet be able to stop believing in supernatural forces--maybe he's clinging to this familiar mode of thought. As he moves through the other changes, it may well be that he will also leave the woo behind.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
28-06-2016, 09:27 AM
He's his own person. He'll find his way or not... that's all there is to it. You can talk to him and try to reason with him, but as an adult Smile I think you sound like you've done a fantastic job raising him and the others. Important thing IMO isn't really what he believes about woo stuff, but whether or not he's a nice person.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
28-06-2016, 01:41 PM
(28-06-2016 08:21 AM)kathariskepsi316 Wrote:  However, he is now gravitating towards Wicca and doing spells and stuff.
Perhaps you could buy a broomstick and a pointed witch's hat.
Perhaps even, when you are making a stew or soup, cackle every now and then when you put ingredience in.

When you are doing it, it will be very un-cool. He will not want to have anything to do with witchery after that.

Like, if your kids is becoming a punk, just get yourself a purple mowhawk, and he will be over the whole punk thing the moment he sets eyes on you.
[+] 3 users Like Stevil's post
28-06-2016, 01:42 PM
(28-06-2016 01:41 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(28-06-2016 08:21 AM)kathariskepsi316 Wrote:  However, he is now gravitating towards Wicca and doing spells and stuff.
Perhaps you could buy a broomstick and a pointed witch's hat.
Perhaps even, when you are making a stew or soup, cackle every now and then when you put ingredience in.

When you are doing it, it will be very un-cool. He will not want to have anything to do with witchery after that.

Like, if your kids is becoming a punk, just get yourself a purple mowhawk, and he will be over the whole punk think the moment he sets eyes on you.

A lot of truth in that. Bowing

28-06-2016, 03:21 PM
Give it time. Wicca's pretty mild as religious woo goes and he'll likely give it up when he discovers that he isn't going to be the next Harry Potter.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post