My Son wants to pray before dinner

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-07-2012, 02:17 PM
My Son wants to pray before dinner
My 4 and a half year old son insists on praying to god and Jesus before we dine. He asks us to stop, put our hands together and he says a prayer.

I am quiet and allow him to do so. I asked him once why he does that and he says it is right to thank someone for all we have.

I don't want to discourage or encourage him; I want him to find his own path, and I want to give him the tools to be a free thinker.

How should I handle this? He believes in Santa Claus, and I see no problem with beliefs like that as they are tradition, but when it comes time to put away all childish things (to paraphrase Corinthians) should religion go away with the Easter Bunny and Santa?

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes FaceOfBoe's post
11-07-2012, 02:21 PM
RE: My Son wants to pray before dinner
(11-07-2012 02:17 PM)FaceOfBoe Wrote:  My 4 and a half year old son insists on praying to god and Jesus before we dine. He asks us to stop, put our hands together and he says a prayer.

I am quiet and allow him to do so. I asked him once why he does that and he says it is right to thank someone for all we have.

I don't want to discourage or encourage him; I want him to find his own path, and I want to give him the tools to be a free thinker.

How should I handle this? He believes in Santa Claus, and I see no problem with beliefs like that as they are tradition, but when it comes time to put away all childish things (to paraphrase Corinthians) should religion go away with the Easter Bunny and Santa?

I don't know your background and everything, so this would be my obligatory first question: How did your son come to the conclusion that he should be praying to Jesus before a meal? Children don't come up with these things on their own, after all.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like StatiK's post
11-07-2012, 02:21 PM
Where did he get this info to clasp his hands and pray?

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
11-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Tell him it's okay to pray as long as he addresses his prayers to Baby Jesus.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuAUI_0knfk

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 5 users Like Erxomai's post
11-07-2012, 02:29 PM
Well it doesn't solve to the full scale of what you have... but shouldn't you let him know he also should be thanking you and his mother for what he has?

Or tell him to pray to the stars and sun for all they gave you, much more than the baby. I assume you don't want to shatter the young dreams quite yet though.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
11-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Here's my take on this.....it's a teaching opportunity. Tell him (obviously in simple, kid friendly terms) that you will respect his decision to pray, and remain silent while he does so. Bot also, it,s a chance to teach him that people should always respect that kind of decision, so he should in turn respect your decision to not pray. That would mean not expecting you to participate by folding your hands etc.

It will show him that praying is fine for those that wish to do it, but that it's not something people should have to do. And as he grows, and his ability to understand things develops, you can approach Jesus just like you would Santa. Let him figure it out on his own, by asking him questions about Jesus and Santa, instead of telling him what,s what. When we come to our own conclusions about truth, those conclusions tend to be more honest and steadfast.

You have just begun reading the sentence you have just finished reading.
[+] 12 users Like Stark Raving's post
11-07-2012, 02:37 PM
I think their was a grand parent in the wood shed so to speak. I don't know how you would handle this.

History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a
free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their
political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their
own purpose. ~ Thomas Jefferson
11-07-2012, 02:42 PM
(11-07-2012 02:37 PM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  I think their was a grand parent in the wood shed so to speak. I don't know how you would handle this.

A closed fist works. Wink

I would be infinitely pissed if I found out that someone were trying to indoctrinate a child of mine.
11-07-2012, 02:49 PM
I also would say that is NOT free thinking, It's bondage to religion. A open mind would never give in to mythology and superstition like praying to a non existent God . But That's my thoughts not yours. He's your son and no one can tell you the right way to raise him. Go with your heart and you will be fine.

History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a
free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their
political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their
own purpose. ~ Thomas Jefferson
11-07-2012, 02:53 PM
If he tells you that it is right to thank someone before dinner, then you make him think about who should be thanked for.
Who grew the things we need to cook?
Who made it available?
Who prepared it?
Who put the dishes on the table?
Just make him think about this. Was it god or jesus? Who are these guys anyway?

Just a hint Smile

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Leela's post