My Son wants to pray before dinner

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-07-2012, 06:12 PM
RE: My Son wants to pray before dinner
(11-07-2012 04:14 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(11-07-2012 02:49 PM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  I also would say that is NOT free thinking, It's bondage to religion. A open mind would never give in to mythology and superstition like praying to a non existent God . But That's my thoughts not yours. He's your son and no one can tell you the right way to raise him. Go with your heart and you will be fine.
Free thinkers come in all various belief systems, and whether or not you are actually confined to the literal definitions of your dogma is up to you. My dad'ss side of the family is Mormon, but they are incredibly open-minded.
I think being a Mormon and open-minded must be a oxymoron!

History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a
free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their
political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their
own purpose. ~ Thomas Jefferson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2012, 06:21 PM
(11-07-2012 03:00 PM)Ghost Wrote:  He probably wants to play with Barbies while being a professional ninja on the moon fighting fires at the cookie factory too.
That sounds like a great job!!!

[Image: 553193_635722216633_1026343474_n.jpg]
11-07-2012, 09:53 PM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2012 10:06 PM by GirlyMan.)
(11-07-2012 02:17 PM)FaceOfBoe Wrote:  My 4 and a half year old son insists on praying to god and Jesus before we dine. He asks us to stop, put our hands together and he says a prayer.

I am quiet and allow him to do so. I asked him once why he does that and he says it is right to thank someone for all we have.

That seems an excellent attitude to me. Dunno why it would show up in someone that young. I'd pray along with him but continually question who it is we are giving thanks to. Eventually he will realize (like by the age of 6 or 7 in your prodigy's timeline) we are just giving thanks to and soliciting ourselves. Once you realize prayer is just soliciting and patting yourself on your own back, it's not nearly as compelling or interesting. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
11-07-2012, 10:07 PM
Take off your belt and sort him out for Christ sake!

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
11-07-2012, 10:25 PM
So, what are you saying here? Don't like other peeps teaching your kid stuff... so you go to other people for what to teach your kid? Big Grin

Yeah, it's a teaching opportunity... Dodgy Whack! Teach you to eat through a straw, you little whippersnapper! Evil_monster

But yeah, he's getting that shit from somewhere. Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to root out this disinformation agent; and terminate it with extreme prejudice... Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
11-07-2012, 11:16 PM
If it's critical thinking you want him to have as a skill, than critic his choice. It was a good start to ask why he wants to pray. Ask why be thankful to God, what did he do? Who else should we thank for this meal? Eventually reality will set in on how the food got there and who to thank for it. I also agree, it's a good starting point to teach how everyone feels differently about this ritual.
12-07-2012, 03:51 AM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2012 06:59 AM by Logica Humano.)
(11-07-2012 06:12 PM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  
(11-07-2012 04:14 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Free thinkers come in all various belief systems, and whether or not you are actually confined to the literal definitions of your dogma is up to you. My dad'ss side of the family is Mormon, but they are incredibly open-minded.
I think being a Mormon and open-minded must be a oxymoron!
Perhaps you are the close-minded one for assuming that, because someone is a Christian, that they are a bigot. Not only have you unknowingly offended me, an Agnostic Atheist, with your insulting claims, but you have also taken a swing at a few members of this forum who are theists.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
12-07-2012, 06:57 AM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2012 07:04 AM by Ghost.)
Mormons can be cool too.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post
12-07-2012, 07:15 AM
I'd like to relay a small story here, that is slightly on topic and probably a lot off -topic.

I took my family to visit my mother last week. My mother announced as we were eating dinner that she was going to have a busy couple of weeks coming up as she had agreed to be an instructor at a bible camp. I let that go as I didn't feel she was pushing anything on my two young kids (9 & 10) even though I would have like to engaged in a little debate. My daughter (age 10) says "I read some of the bible too" (my wife got her a children's bible). My mother asked "oh great, what did you think"? My daughter responded "it was really boring and confusing". I just grinned ear to ear knowing that while my daughter wants to believe in god as lots of her classmates do, she is on the road to making her own decision without me doing a damn thing. I don't push one view or the other on her. I give her the tools and the freedom to explore what is out there. I think that whatever decision she makes, it will be based on her own thoughts not someone else's.
[+] 2 users Like devilsadvoc8's post
12-07-2012, 07:40 AM
As usual, Filox is here to provide the most simple, yet the best solution. Just show him this picture and then explain who is this Jesus guy he is thanking for.

[Image: tumblr_lxq32wjlAY1qil96wo1_500.jpg]

[Image: 35psdt.jpg]

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 2 users Like Filox's post