My Son wants to pray before dinner

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-07-2012, 07:07 AM
RE: My Son wants to pray before dinner
(12-07-2012 03:05 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Boe
The kid believes in Santa too? My wife is a theist and she and I have been pondering the question of whether or not to tell our son Santa is real (we have a while since he is <6 months old). I think both of us are a little nostalgic about it, but we also don't want to lie to our son. I also think of the thrill I got when I figured out on my own that Santa wasn't real, and if my son believes in god then maybe that would be a good experience to have under his belt?

I believe there is nothing wrong with tradition and culture. Part of culture is having myths. It is something that makes life enjoyable. After they are a few years older and find out about the truth about Santa, it is helpful to tell them why the myth exists and it's origins.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-07-2012, 07:52 AM
I respect the fact that you want to let your son "find his own way." However, he's 4. There's a reason you are the parent. Four-year-old kids don't know anything about the world, they don't know what is and isn't nonsense. If you just "let him find his own way" his entire life that is pretty much an open endorsement to let anyone else fill his head with any garbage that they see fit.

Case in point, now he's praying. Someone else already got a head start on you. How long will you let it go on?
Find all posts by this user
13-07-2012, 09:04 AM
THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
13-07-2012, 09:10 AM
(11-07-2012 10:07 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Take off your belt and sort him out for Christ sake!
Are you suggesting hitting the child for his ideas? How will that solve anything except make him terrified of having any ideas that differ from your own? If it was meant in jest then I fail to see the humor in it.

I agree however that if the boy wants to give thanks then give thanks to mom and dad who prepared and served the meal and the farmers who grew it all.

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange.
13-07-2012, 11:39 AM
(13-07-2012 07:52 AM)Superluminal Wrote:  I respect the fact that you want to let your son "find his own way." However, he's 4. There's a reason you are the parent. Four-year-old kids don't know anything about the world, they don't know what is and isn't nonsense. If you just "let him find his own way" his entire life that is pretty much an open endorsement to let anyone else fill his head with any garbage that they see fit.

Case in point, now he's praying. Someone else already got a head start on you. How long will you let it go on?
I guess saying to find his own way is the wrong word. What I don't want to do is give him the answers I found. There is a difference between truth and fact and all I can do is say this. Fact: "The earth is really 4.5 billion years old, not 6 thousand" Truth is where you find the answer to your internal questions.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-07-2012, 11:35 PM
I would take this as a learning opportunity to ask him some simple questions:

What about the farmer who grew the food? What about the people who canned it and delivered it to the supermarket? What about the folks at the supermarket? What about who prepared the food and did the cooking? How about the folks down at the water plant who made it possible to have clean water for cooking?

And then there's Jesus.....encourage thinking and questioning don't tell him he's wrong so much as encourage him to question if he's right.
14-07-2012, 02:50 PM
Here's a related part of QualiaSoup's new video.

Start at 12:04 for the children bit.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
15-07-2012, 07:10 PM
(13-07-2012 11:39 AM)FaceOfBoe Wrote:  
(13-07-2012 07:52 AM)Superluminal Wrote:  I respect the fact that you want to let your son "find his own way." However, he's 4. There's a reason you are the parent. Four-year-old kids don't know anything about the world, they don't know what is and isn't nonsense. If you just "let him find his own way" his entire life that is pretty much an open endorsement to let anyone else fill his head with any garbage that they see fit.

I guess saying to find his own way is the wrong word. What I don't want to do is give him the answers I found. There is a difference between truth and fact and all I can do is say this. Fact: "The earth is really 4.5 billion years old, not 6 thousand" Truth is where you find the answer to your internal questions.
That I can agree with.
16-07-2012, 01:47 AM
I can't think of a reason to let a child make their own decision about religion. Surely if something is harmful bullshit you tell them so and provide plenty of evidence to back it up (calibrated for their age of course).

I remember having nightmares when I was little about Jesus coming to take me away from my parents or use me to make a rainbow... stupid bloody song.

That said, I'm not a parent and hope never to be one so what do I know?

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
16-07-2012, 02:07 AM
(16-07-2012 01:47 AM)daylightisabadthing Wrote:  I can't think of a reason to let a child make their own decision about religion. Surely if something is harmful bullshit you tell them so and provide plenty of evidence to back it up (calibrated for their age of course).

I remember having nightmares when I was little about Jesus coming to take me away from my parents or use me to make a rainbow... stupid bloody song.

That said, I'm not a parent and hope never to be one so what do I know?

True. I think the whole "your child isn't your property, let them decide things for themselves" approach doesn't apply to religion. Mainly, because it's dangerous. You wouldn't let your child make his own decisions about sticking a fork in an electrical outlet, so likewise don't let your child stick his brain fork in a religious outlet. It can scar him for life and teach him early on that gays don't deserve to be treated fairly.

Sidenote, I was in line at Target today and a young child saw a Tom Cruise article off to the side and asked her parent what Scientology was. The adults laughed and the mom tried to explain about aliens and Lord Xenu and thetons... it was hilarious.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post