My Sudden Desire to be Mormon

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-06-2015, 12:36 AM
My Sudden Desire to be Mormon
Ok. I expect some degree of ridicule for the title because of where I'm posting this, so allow me to first and foremost state that NO, I am not rellapsing and I am certainly not allowing myself to fall back into the festival of logical fallacies that is spirituality. I believe in science and rational, free thought and I'm not about to accept the existence of a God without indisputable scientific evidence. My dilema here isn't really in whether or not I want to change my beliefs, but in whether or not I want to change my lifestyle.

Allow me to explain. I live in a town called Pleasant Hill in a largely Mormon-populated area of California. I've just finished up my Junior year of highschool and for the last two years, many of my closest friends have been members of the Church of Latter Day Saints. I've gone to Mormon Dances. Many of the girls I've fallen for have been Mormon (almost all, in fact) I've met their families and many of their friends and I've heard of how they interact with one another in their community and the things they do together and they all seem like some of the nicest, most well-meaning people I have ever met and Ive found myself of late a bit jealous of their lifestyle.

Being unreligious I feel like I miss out on a lot of things, and a sense of community is one of them. I feel a bit out of the loop, even with regards to my two closest friends, and I feel a longing to live like they do. I really don't know how to describe it.

I'm in a state where I want to be a Mormon without believing what Mormons do but I don't want to live ungenuinely as to what I believe. I was born and raised Catholic, shed that in favor of skepticism, and now I feel caught between. I feel like I'd be happier with that lifestyle, but I also feel like I'd be lying to myself to go for it and it's really tearing at me because I dont know what to do.

I figured that this would be the place to find people who maybe understand what I'm feeling here and to get some advice.

[Image: 8ffeae9d.jpg]
Credit to Atothetheist
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-06-2015, 01:13 AM
RE: My Sudden Desire to be Mormon
My advice is to forget trying to fit in. Be you! Do you think James Brown, Voltaire, Nietzsche, Sartre, Goethe and other great minds and artists tried to fit in? No, they were who they were. Proudly. If those around you do not support who you are, they were never worthy of your presence in the first place.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 4 users Like Banjo's post
18-06-2015, 01:54 AM
That is apart of the few positive human things that religion has a well established system of generating. The community is what I mean. So yeah there is no shame in people having a bit of a letdown feeling that they have less of an easy in group situation.

As for mormons specifically, that culture as it's established does have a unique twinge of niceness, but it also boarders on extremely creepy in some areas of how tight-nit the families and communities get together.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
18-06-2015, 05:06 AM
I lived with a woman with two kids....

I felt the intense desire to become Jewish -- usually just before Christmas.......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
18-06-2015, 07:10 AM (This post was last modified: 18-06-2015 08:02 AM by jennybee.)
I don't know what your plans are after high school, but if you are planning on going to college--you will meet so many different people with many different lifestyles-- including other atheists. Living in a small town can feel very stifling especially if you are different from your peers so I can see your desire to want to fit in. Just make sure you are doing it for the right reasons. I consider myself to be an atheist christian/catholic -meaning I don't believe but I do attend Christmas mass with family and I celebrate Christmas and other christian holidays. So technically you could be an atheist Mormon. I do think it would only be fair to tell people who are hardcore in their beliefs that you don't believe what they believe but respect their belief system and would like to take part in it. Just make sure you fully understand their belief system before you get yourself involved in anything like that.
18-06-2015, 08:05 AM
BTW, I also live in CA and lived in a more conservative religious area (my realtor--that's right realtor--told me she was praying for me). I recently moved to a more progressive area. You can always relocate to some other area in CA with more like-minded people after high school.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
18-06-2015, 08:27 AM
I've expressed sımılar vıews before on other threads, and they're probably non-standard here, but...

Much of lıfe ınvolves puttıng on varıous masks for the sake of fıttıng ın. If, for whatever reason, I had to lıve the lıfe of a relıgıous person despite not actually believing, I wouldn't think twice about it. Skeptical thoughts on God aren't the only thing I keep to myself in order to reduce conflict and allow myself to co-exist with society. We're not talking about denying yourself of some base need, such as with a homosexual forcing themselves to live the life of a heterosexual. We're talking about using deception in order to aid you in the acquirement of your base needs, something every single living thing in the history of the world has done regularly, including humans, even if most of us don't want to actually admit it to ourselves. If I were to be completely honest all of the time, and live the life that I instinctively want to live without regard for the social consequences, I probably would have been in jail before I was old enough to grow arm pit hair.

In this case, we're talking about the need to belong. In regards to the Mormon church, I can understand where you're coming from. They provide a supportive community that is absolutely unparalleled in U.S. society. And considering that we are highly social animals, that is more in line with the way we were "meant" to live, so to speak, than the life of a bunch of self proclaimed individuals.

I'm not gonna say you should or shouldn't go back to being Mormon, but if you do don't feel bad about being dishonest with yourself. You're only dishonest with yourself if you believe you don't survive by practicing some form of deception on a daily basis. Figure out what is important to you, admit it to yourself, and do what you feel will most likely result in your happiness.

'Murican Canadian
18-06-2015, 08:40 AM
(18-06-2015 12:36 AM)pppgggr Wrote:  Ok. I expect some degree of ridicule for the title because of where I'm posting this,

Your expectation is groundless.

This is exactly the section where ridicule is neither expected nor permitted.

Carry on.

Thumbsup

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
18-06-2015, 09:03 AM
Everyone needs a community of friends.
You don't want to be a Moron, you just needs a group of friends.
There is life after high school. Weeping
I gots da proof.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
18-06-2015, 09:30 AM
Sikhs. The sweetest most wonderful people you ever want to know. They really have their shit together. Also they don't try to recruit people to their belief... at least none of the ones I know do that. On the whole, they are one of the few religious groups I find trustworthy. I most often take to people on an individual basis ... groups not so much. Never been a joiner. Hanging out with people doesn't mean I have to devot my life to them or anything in particular.

You will meet ALL kinds of people with all kinds of beliefs and they will certainly effect your life- that's what people do. Your experience is continuing and expanding ... you are just beginning to know about you. Don't stop. Many things can and most likely will come along to distract you from getting to know your self more.

One of the biggest distractions can be a "commitment" or a "devotion" to something. Because of your indoctrination, you are probably used to being devoted or commited to ideas and/or beliefs. This is a habit. It might be something to recognize about yourself and keep in check as you explore the world and your self.

It's a question of trust, really; can you trust someone you've hardly gotten to know? If there is trust, there should be acceptance ... mutual acceptance. No one has to jump through any hoops for you to like them, so ... don't wake up one day to find yourself doing that.

Friends & loved ones usually don't come with "fine print", unless there's been some previous damage. I'm just saying, buyer beware.
Consider

More accurately, "Stay aware and don't buy anything."

Big crazy world... don't ever stop exploring it or YOU. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein