My Sudden Desire to be Mormon

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-06-2015, 10:02 AM
RE: My Sudden Desire to be Mormon
(18-06-2015 09:30 AM)kim Wrote:  Sikhs. The sweetest most wonderful people you ever want to know. They really have their shit together. Also they don't try to recruit people to their belief... at least none of the ones I know do that. On the whole, they are one of the few religious groups I find trustworthy. I most often take to people on an individual basis ... groups not so much. Never been a joiner. Hanging out with people doesn't mean I have to devot my life to them or anything in particular.

I've the same experience with Amish.

I have a great deal of respect for their determination to do things their own way . And I've never met one who I'd call genuinely "mean" -- "gruff" perhaps.....

At the same time, I sure wouldn't want to live like them.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
18-06-2015, 10:09 AM (This post was last modified: 18-06-2015 10:13 AM by Mr. Boston.)
Many religions can be broken down into faith/dogma on one side and practice/ritual on the other. It's something you believe and/or something you do. I think every follower (whether consciously or subconsciously) blends these however it's most advantageous or beneficial to them; they assemble whatever version of the religion best suits them. Plenty of Christians believe in all the shalt-nots but don't spend any time doing the "good works" of giving to charity, volunteering their time with sick or disadvantaged people, etc. Plenty of "Buddhists" do the meditation and inner reflection and anti-materialism thing without ascribing any divinity to Buddha. Plenty of Jews keep kosher and decline to roll on fucking Shabbos, without actually believing in the Yahweh of the Torah.

So if you think you might have something to gain by investigating the PRACTICE of being Mormon, without swallowing the doctrine - go for it! Just try not to engage in the practice of voting down gay rights which seems to be all the rage with those California Mormons.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
18-06-2015, 12:11 PM
My Sudden Desire to be Mormon
I had an atheist friend who lived in Salt Lake City, Utah. You can do it without having to fit in. Smile
18-06-2015, 01:03 PM
(18-06-2015 12:11 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  I had an atheist friend who lived in Salt Lake City, Utah. You can do it without having to fit in. Smile

Yeah, but he wants to do it to get the chicks--you didn't read his post close enough lol He also wants to fit in--which is totally understandable.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
18-06-2015, 01:31 PM
No one and nothing is stopping you. As a free thinker the world is your oyster. If you want to dress up in black pants a white shirt and black tie go ahead. If you don't want to drink soda or coffe don't. If you want to move to Salt Lake City go ahead. I have a friend that is practicing Mormon. He's not any happier then the rest of us.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
18-06-2015, 03:01 PM
Mormons must be masochists...

They were heading west -- and found a salt lake, surrounded by alkali desert -- about as conducive to life as the surface of the moon -- and one of those brilliant guys said "Hey -- this looks like a great place to live"....

Go figure.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
18-06-2015, 03:12 PM
(18-06-2015 03:01 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Mormons must be masochists...

They were heading west -- and found a salt lake, surrounded by alkali desert -- about as conducive to life as the surface of the moon -- and one of those brilliant guys said "Hey -- this looks like a great place to live"....

Go figure.

And he also said, "You know what I could use? Less alcohol and more wives." Yeah, masochist to the core indeed.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
18-06-2015, 10:27 PM
Oh the irony. I was raised in an atheist home. I was banned from certain homes and was spit on literally by the Christian kids. (This was in the 1970's. Yes I am that old.) I think that's part of why I became a Christian as an adult - for the social acceptance. Today I have obviously 're-deconverted. (Is that a word?) If I may share some hard earned wisdom, don't sell yourself out like that. If you feel like you have to convert to be accepted, they aren't accepting YOU. It may seem like a small sacrifice by comprising but one compromise leads to another and before you know it you are middle-aged and realize that you don't even know who the hell you are anymore. It's just not worth it.
[+] 2 users Like ThatAtheistChick's post
18-06-2015, 10:35 PM
(18-06-2015 10:09 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  Many religions can be broken down into faith/dogma on one side and practice/ritual on the other. It's something you believe and/or something you do. I think every follower (whether consciously or subconsciously) blends these however it's most advantageous or beneficial to them; they assemble whatever version of the religion best suits them. Plenty of Christians believe in all the shalt-nots but don't spend any time doing the "good works" of giving to charity, volunteering their time with sick or disadvantaged people, etc. Plenty of "Buddhists" do the meditation and inner reflection and anti-materialism thing without ascribing any divinity to Buddha. Plenty of Jews keep kosher and decline to roll on fucking Shabbos, without actually believing in the Yahweh of the Torah.

So if you think you might have something to gain by investigating the PRACTICE of being Mormon, without swallowing the doctrine - go for it! Just try not to engage in the practice of voting down gay rights which seems to be all the rage with those California Mormons.

Completely off topic but I dabble in Buddhism precisely because it is atheistic. Buddhism is very rational. They do not believe that the Buddha was divine and that anyone can become a Buddha if they are willing to do the work. I do not consider myself knowledgeable enough to be anything resembling an authority on it but I do know just enough to be dangerous.
19-06-2015, 12:10 AM
(18-06-2015 10:35 PM)ThatAtheistChick Wrote:  Completely off topic but I dabble in Buddhism precisely because it is atheistic. Buddhism is very rational. They do not believe that the Buddha was divine and that anyone can become a Buddha if they are willing to do the work. I do not consider myself knowledgeable enough to be anything resembling an authority on it but I do know just enough to be dangerous.

Buddhism is not exactly rational. They worship the dead and believe the dead can affect the living world.

Buddhism is just woo like all the other religions.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.