My Sudden Desire to be Mormon

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-06-2015, 07:50 AM
RE: My Sudden Desire to be Mormon
(19-06-2015 12:10 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(18-06-2015 10:35 PM)ThatAtheistChick Wrote:  Completely off topic but I dabble in Buddhism precisely because it is atheistic. Buddhism is very rational. They do not believe that the Buddha was divine and that anyone can become a Buddha if they are willing to do the work. I do not consider myself knowledgeable enough to be anything resembling an authority on it but I do know just enough to be dangerous.

Buddhism is not exactly rational. They worship the dead and believe the dead can affect the living world.

Buddhism is just woo like all the other religions.
I thought that was Hindus? Everything I have read so far has been rational common sense solutions with no doctrines. I haven't come across any woo yet. I'm going to be pissed if I do! I have issues...PTSD, rheumatoid arthritis and major depressive disorder. I started in AA 27 years ago. Left when I became a Christian and have had a real void since deconverting. I thought I finally found something that would genuinely help me.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2015, 09:05 AM
(18-06-2015 10:27 PM)ThatAtheistChick Wrote:  I think that's part of why I became a Christian as an adult - for the social acceptance. Today I have obviously 're-deconverted. (Is that a word?)

Look at it this way: When we're babies, we're unencumbered by religion and knowledge. We got to school, lug a heavy book bag around, and we learn something.

Your temporary foray into religion was your schooling. You've taken off the book bag.

And when adults learn, we do it better and find ways to learn without a heavy book bag. Because now we've learned better.

So redeconverted or you did extensive immersion studies. Smile
[+] 2 users Like Clockwork's post
20-06-2015, 08:58 AM
(19-06-2015 07:50 AM)ThatAtheistChick Wrote:  
(19-06-2015 12:10 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Buddhism is not exactly rational. They worship the dead and believe the dead can affect the living world.

Buddhism is just woo like all the other religions.
I thought that was Hindus? Everything I have read so far has been rational common sense solutions with no doctrines. I haven't come across any woo yet. I'm going to be pissed if I do! I have issues...PTSD, rheumatoid arthritis and major depressive disorder. I started in AA 27 years ago. Left when I became a Christian and have had a real void since deconverting. I thought I finally found something that would genuinely help me.

The original teachings of the Buddha are about stripping away the illusions provided by the ego to get to the human self. As Buddhism traveled, it acquired the trappings of woo... because people like to identify with being gods. If you stick with the basic Buddhist tenants, you can avoid the wooey bullshit.

As the Buddhist saying goes... "If you meet the buddha in the road, kill him." Apparently, Buddhists don't care much for gods or charlatans trying to assume a god status. "Kill" .... seems a bit much. Then again, "maim" doesn't quite make the point. The ego is a tough bastard. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
20-06-2015, 09:04 AM
Anyone else misread the thread title as "My sudden desire to be Moron?"

Or is the brain just being proactive? Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
20-06-2015, 09:09 AM
Instead of becoming a mormon, just slam your head into a wall. The effect will be about the same but a concussion will heal. Mormons are crazy beyond hope.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
21-06-2015, 12:16 AM
My Sudden Desire to be Mormon
As a former Mormon, I can attest to the reality of your feelings. They indoctrinate their members with the notion of Mormonism as a lifestyle, not just a Sunday faith. They are taught from an early age, how to portray a desirable lifestyle and way of living, as a recruiting tool to attract outsiders. It is 1,000,000% for show. Most Mormons have struggles comparable to others (believers/nonbelievers). What they lack in conviction, they compensate for with a well crafted poker face.

If the sense of community or feeling a part of something is your missing link, it can be found in many ways without the attachment to religious affiliation. For instance, if you're into sports you can always join a local team/league. If your interests lie more in the arts, you can find local groups with a shared fascination through sites like http://meetup.com/

In the end, the decision is entirely yours to make. No matter what road you take, if it makes you happy and its not harming anyone else, that's all that matters.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmic Discourse's post
21-06-2015, 12:36 AM
(20-06-2015 09:04 AM)kim Wrote:  Anyone else misread the thread title as "My sudden desire to be Moron?"

Well, loadsa people wanna be me, what can I say? Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
21-06-2015, 04:01 AM
(20-06-2015 09:04 AM)kim Wrote:  Anyone else misread the thread title as "My sudden desire to be Moron?"

Every time I see this thread I read it as My sudden desire to be a moron.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post