My TV broke :(

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-02-2011, 07:06 AM

My TV broke :(
I have a 46" Hitachi rear projection but it is widescreen HD (720p). Yesterday the greens were all warped and have a "3d" look to them. Magic focus or manual alignment did not work. A google search revealed that it's likley my convergence is off and the ICs might be bad, so i ordered a kit from tvrepairkits . com for $70, hopefully I am able to fix it and don't mess it up even more. If I can't fix it, it's not worth paying any more to get fixed since it's a 5-6yr old TV now. Sucks cause I do like the TV even though it was a big heavy monster, but with the price drops in LCDs the last couple years there is no sense in even paying $300 to get it fixed.

It just really sucks not having TV for a few days now, didn't realize how addicted I was (even though I don't watch more then 2-3hrs a day-excluding any movies)
Quote this message in a reply
25-02-2011, 07:45 AM
RE: My TV broke :(
Try living without it for a while. It's very liberating Smile

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-02-2011, 09:04 AM
TV? what's that? I just use the computer for watching things >.> I do have one in my room, it's just sitting on the floor in the corner not being used. I used to use it for gaming systems, then I kinda stopped gaming.

Give yourself a while to experience things maybe you'll save yourself $300, and even stop paying your cable bill. Maybe not =p either way you might as well see what the world is like without it.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
25-02-2011, 03:23 PM
I don't use my TV as much as I used to. I have my shows during the week that I watch but I don't sit in front of it like many people do. I would however go crazy if it were to break down. I like having options lol
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-02-2011, 03:38 PM
TV watching is not a true addiction (like smoking), it is a habit (like chewing finger nails). Leave the TV broken and unreplaced for a while. This will force you to break the habit. That will be a good change. Then, when you replace your TV, you will have the ability to choose not to fall into your old habit.

I only watch what I want to watch. Science and history is about 95% of my TV time.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
25-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Tv?
Oh... you mean that black thing on the wall with the screen... I never use that... it annoys the hell out of me. I don't have a cable-connection either...Really... don't repair your set for some months... then see what happens with you social contacts, learning curves and your overall peace of mind. Try it!

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
25-02-2011, 03:59 PM
The score is = Freedom - 5 / TV habit - 0.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
25-02-2011, 04:34 PM
Congratulations. Now you're completely free.

All that hate's gonna burn you up, kid.
-- It keeps me warm.
25-02-2011, 05:15 PM (This post was last modified: 25-02-2011 05:20 PM by Buddy Christ.)
I haven't had cable in years. You can find any tv show ever online. Just use torrents for entire seasons or movies and use sites like tvduck.com for watching any other show. Though sites like that usually only run for a year or so before being taken down and migrating elsewhere.

Here's my treasure chest.

Family Guy - Hulu.com

South Park - southparkstudios.com

It's Always Sunny in Philly, Tosh.0, Scrubs, or either of the 2 shows above - tvduck.com

Daily Show - thedailyshow.com

Conan O'Brien - http://video.teamcoco.com/video/conan/

Live streaming sports games - atdhe.me (though its been moving around to different domains since Homeland seized it a week ago) or channelsurf.eu (moved to .eu because of same seizure)

and movies are always best from piratebay.org

There... you no longer need to pay a cable bill.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
25-02-2011, 06:09 PM

(25-02-2011 03:38 PM)No J. Wrote:  I only watch what I want to watch. Science and history is about 95% of my TV time.

That is mostly what I want too. I'm not really into any comedy and hate reality shows.

The channels I want 90% of the time- A&E (Intervention, Hoarders), History Channel (various things but one of my favorite shows is American Pickers), Discovery and TLC (sometimes, not all that much though-their programming has gone down the tubes), and Nat Geo is great too (except on Sunday when they just have stupid Dog Whisperer on ALL DAY). I watch CBC news as well sometimes. If nothing is on those channels then I turn off the TV. I'd say on average I maybe watch 2hrs a day, sometimes less. I'm not really addicted I just like to know it's there and that I have options (as someone else put it.. lol)

Quote:piratebay.org
That along with isohunt.com and demonoid.com I get lots of stuff. i downloaded 1000 ebooks recently lol.
Quote this message in a reply