My Third Question to Christians: Is Our Bible Corrupted?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-03-2012, 11:21 AM
My Third Question to Christians: Is Our Bible Corrupted?
This is on FB and will be reference in my new note. As always, critiques are welcome.

Are modern translations errant or inerrant? Has the corruption of sin permeated into that which we have trusted to be without error? I’ll let you be the judge.

Our first example is Isaiah 45:7:

Dynamic translations

NIV

I form the light and create darkness,
I bring prosperity and create disaster;
I, the LORD, do all these things.

NLT

I create the light and make the darkness.
I send good times and bad times.
I, the Lord, am the one who does these things.

AB
I form the light and create darkness, I make peace [national well-being] and I create [physical] [a]evil (calamity); I am the Lord, Who does all these things.

Literal translations (Vulgate)

KJV
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

NKJV

I form the light and create darkness,
I make peace and create calamity;
I, the LORD, do all these things.’

DRA
I form the light, and create darkness, I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord that do all these things

Literal translations (original text)

NASB

The One forming light and creating darkness,
Causing [a]well-being and creating calamity;
I am the LORD who does all these.

YLT
Forming light, and preparing darkness, Making peace, and preparing evil, I [am] Jehovah, doing all these things.

These biblical translations are common across Christianity, yet they paint a very different picture. In some translations, it says that God creates “calamity” ie disaster or physical destruction. In another it says that God created an ambiguous “bad times”. Moreover, others say that God creates “evil”: physical or all kinds. So, what is going on? These translations drastically change the meaning of this verse. Not all of them can be correct, right? So, how can we trust that the Bible we’re reading is truly inerrant?

Before I go any further, I would also like to address another disturbing issue within modern translations.

Mark 7:16

KJV
If any man have ears to hear, let him hear.

NIV
Removed

Yes, there are over 40 verses removed from the NIV. Why? Because early manuscripts don’t contain these verses. So, someone is wrong. Someone is errant. Who is it?

I’ll let you decide that for yourself. For me, personally, I stick with the more literal translations. Dynamic translations, in my opinion, are terrible… the NIV being the biggest culprit. That’s not to say that dynamic translations don’t have a place; they do. They are good for people who are new Christians or someone who is looking to get the gist of what is being taught. They are not, and I repeat NOT, a reliable Bible for in-depth study. If you are going to have an in-depth Bible study, I would suggest using a parallel study with the NASB (New American Standard Bible) and the YLT (Young’s Literal Translation). These two translations are the closest modern translations to the original Hebrew and Greek; however, they are not always 100% correct with their translations either. I would also suggest bookmarking http://www.biblos.com and http://www.biblegateway.com. These two sites provide the absolute best sources for Bible study that you can have.

So… what am I trying to say with all of this? All scripture is inspired… translations are not.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-03-2012, 11:30 AM
RE: My Third Question to Christians: Is Our Bible Corrupted?
What's DRA? I'm hoping you're gonna say it's the DRAGON bible.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
15-03-2012, 11:31 AM
(15-03-2012 11:30 AM)morondog Wrote:  What's DRA? I'm hoping you're gonna say it's the DRAGON bible.

lol that would be awesome, but no... it's the Douay Rheims American. It's widely used by Catholics.

15-03-2012, 11:41 AM
You just like to stir up trouble don't you?

I now think you are an atheist who has taken up the ultimate challenge. To infiltrate religious structure and troll.

In the near future I expect to see a documentary ab out how you tore things up.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
15-03-2012, 11:46 AM
(15-03-2012 11:21 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  So… what am I trying to say with all of this? All scripture is inspired… translations are not.[/color]

Just gonna say that what I'm about to say may sound like a snide, point-scoring remark but I honestly don't mean it to so sorry if it sounds like that.

As a Calvinist you don't believe in free will, you believe that God controls every minutiae of existence. Wouldn't that mean that all versions of the Bible were created by God, and therefore directly inspired, translation or not?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
15-03-2012, 11:51 AM (This post was last modified: 15-03-2012 11:52 AM by kingschosen.)
(15-03-2012 11:46 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(15-03-2012 11:21 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  So… what am I trying to say with all of this? All scripture is inspired… translations are not.[/color]

Just gonna say that what I'm about to say may sound like a snide, point-scoring remark but I honestly don't mean it to so sorry if it sounds like that.

As a Calvinist you don't believe in free will, you believe that God controls every minutiae of existence. Wouldn't that mean that all versions of the Bible were created by God, and therefore directly inspired, translation or not?

That is a possible line of thinking, but God also created sin and corruption. The Bible says that we have to correctly divide the word of truth. This means that we are to listen to God and let Him lead us on issues such as this.

All I'm doing is presenting food for thought.
(15-03-2012 11:41 AM)lucradis Wrote:  You just like to stir up trouble don't you?

I now think you are an atheist who has taken up the ultimate challenge. To infiltrate religious structure and troll.

In the near future I expect to see a documentary ab out how you tore things up.

XD

I just like to challenge Christians to think instead of sitting on their thumbs.

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
15-03-2012, 11:52 AM (This post was last modified: 15-03-2012 11:55 AM by Dust.)
Quote:So… what am I trying to say with all of this? All scripture is inspired… translations are not.

I refresh the site and I see that Hughsie has written almost EXACTLY the same thing I was writing. Sad

Still, unless you are REALLY picky most versions of the bible should be accurate enough.

Ninja edit to make post more valuable (and not double posting).

Quote:I just like to challenge Christians to think instead of sitting on their thumbs.

Sounds like the words of an atheist? Are faith to be questioned?
15-03-2012, 01:42 PM
corrupted from what? You make the assumption that there is only one true version. The bible is what it is, a collection of stories and many times removed "accounts" of events that have very little corroboration elsewhere. I think your premise is faulty.
[+] 3 users Like devilsadvoc8's post
15-03-2012, 01:51 PM
(15-03-2012 01:42 PM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  corrupted from what? You make the assumption that there is only one true version. The bible is what it is, a collection of stories and many times removed "accounts" of events that have very little corroboration elsewhere. I think your premise is faulty.

Corrupted from the earliest known manuscripts.

15-03-2012, 01:59 PM
most of the stories weren't christian to begin with. Many of them came from judaism, and other religions around sumeria. Also when the council of Nicea created the first canon there were many stories that they decided which version would be best. There's not much saying what things are the originals as it's too old to really determine which version was the original. You should accept that if the canon is acceptable to you then any translations are fine. Christianity has always had a large variety of stories. You're just bickering over which ways to interpret the ones that have lasted the longest. I wouldn't suggest that all the stories not in the canon are completely ungodly if god had anything to do with it.

You're dealing with semantics to the same degree that the seperationists do. I'd say you're definitely asking for division no matter your personal purpose.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 4 users Like Lilith Pride's post