My Third Question to Christians: Is Our Bible Corrupted?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2012, 10:35 AM

RE: Wait, wait, ....
(20-03-2012 10:30 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(20-03-2012 10:28 AM)Denicio Wrote:  
(20-03-2012 10:21 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(20-03-2012 10:19 AM)Denicio Wrote:  
(20-03-2012 10:06 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  If the answer is "yes", this is directed toward you. If the answer is "no", this question isn't directed toward you.

OK Team, you heard the man. STFU unless you are a Christian. Gonna be some quick threads with a couple of replies. I am out, as i know when i am not welcome.....

Silly me, if i wanted replies to a Bigfoot sightings thread i created..i would not create it in a website called "AllBigfootBeliversareDumbasses.com" .

But thats just silly ole me.

Over and Out,
D

lol

What is it with you and Chas not reading?

Read the next line.

KC, dear confused friend. Its NOT about reading the next line in your post...its about choosing your battles and where those battles are fought. Its not about word, but more stratagy.

I am not gonna go to the RNC and start making Pro Obama statements and expect much support or agreement.

But we are talking about KC, now aren't we? You've had EVERYONE around you tell you to get out of the church you are going, but your feeling has you digging your heels in. And now you come to an atheist forum asking a question for Christians.

Do other hobbies of yours include beating your head against the wall?

D

No. I didn't come to an atheist forum asking a question to Christians. I came to an atheist forum asking for critiques on my question to Christians.

This is all bluntly stated.

I don't understand why this is so difficult to understand.

Bluntly stated.......SOUNDS like a HUGE waste of time.

Bye
D
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Denicio's post
20-03-2012, 10:42 AM
RE: My Third Question to Christians: Is Our Bible Corrupted?
Corrupted by Christians getting ahold of the Torah... Tongue

When was it not corrupted would be the question; being a prophet the answer. In modern terms, psychosis. Want some of this? What sense is it to impose insanity upon the sane?

And God of All, of course; far more insane. So sayeth the Variance. Angel

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
21-03-2012, 05:13 PM
Although I don't like the term corrupted, I will say that yes I think it is corrupted. But then again I have never believed that the bible is inerrant. Also I'm not sure how much you'd value my opinion since were more or less complete opposites. One of the key parts of my faith is that everyone has freewill while for you a key part is that no one has freewill.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
Find all posts by this user
21-03-2012, 05:45 PM
(21-03-2012 05:13 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Although I don't like the term corrupted, I will say that yes I think it is corrupted. But then again I have never believed that the bible is inerrant. Also I'm not sure how much you'd value my opinion since were more or less complete opposites. One of the key parts of my faith is that everyone has freewill while for you a key part is that no one has freewill.

I have faith in freewilly Wink
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
21-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Quote:I have faith in freewilly
I fucking love freewilly

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
[+] 1 user Likes TarzanSmith's post
21-03-2012, 11:03 PM (This post was last modified: 22-03-2012 12:12 AM by Bucky Ball.)
The "corrupted" question assumes there ever was an "uncorrupted" version.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlnnWbkMlbg
As the vid briefly points out, the OT was re-written many times, to serve the climate of the day. All the texts, (NT and OT), developed over long periods. There never was a "pristine" original of any of them. They are all "editions", and "re-writes". How do you stop the clock and say "here", "pooph" is the "inspired" version ? All the texts have long complex developmental histories...the ones left in the canon, and the ones left out. (I think this is what Lillith was saying). The ones VOTED in, (in non-unanimous votes BTW), all have known multiple sources as did the ones left out. (See part 2 of Frontline's "From Jesus to Christ" for a brief view of some of them).
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/...ion/watch/
It simply makes no sense to put your thumb down, and say HERE..THIS is the point in the long complicated process where they become magical. At this point, a few words here or there are the LEAST of the problems, in asserting they are "inspired". Then of course there is the problem of the process of inspiration. What exactly is THAT ? What does THAT even mean, in light of the known developmental process ? Were the oral traditions that gave rise to the texts "inspired" ? The fact is, what ultimately made the practical decision of inclusion into the canon was whether the majority of communities/congregations actually used the texts in their worship. They were used if the communities found them to be authentic reflections of their beliefs, and experiences. THAT was how they were ultimately validated, BUT it varied all over the place. Certain communities liked some texts, and some didn't, and some liked others, and most had no clue what was going on in other places. It was the ANCIENT WORLD. Communication was very slow, if at all, between most places. There never was any "original" agreed set of texts used, until late in the game, (after the Council of Nicaea).

ByeTheWhey....KC, Bucky is goin ta hev'n too. Here's is da pwoof. I was con-VER-ted...well for about a meenut, anyway. That fartin preacher done got ta me. Ah wuz speakin in tongues, an everthin.

[Image: harp.gif][Image: highprayer.gif]

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
21-03-2012, 11:41 PM
Bucky, I only have one response to that...well really I had two responses. The first was to say "amen!" The second was to give you my seal of approval on your dissecting of the canonization process.

[Image: clintnod.gif]

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 4 users Like Erxomai's post
22-03-2012, 07:48 PM
RE: Wait, wait, ....
(20-03-2012 10:30 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(20-03-2012 10:28 AM)Denicio Wrote:  
(20-03-2012 10:21 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(20-03-2012 10:19 AM)Denicio Wrote:  
(20-03-2012 10:06 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  If the answer is "yes", this is directed toward you. If the answer is "no", this question isn't directed toward you.

OK Team, you heard the man. STFU unless you are a Christian. Gonna be some quick threads with a couple of replies. I am out, as i know when i am not welcome.....

Silly me, if i wanted replies to a Bigfoot sightings thread i created..i would not create it in a website called "AllBigfootBeliversareDumbasses.com" .

But thats just silly ole me.

Over and Out,
D

lol

What is it with you and Chas not reading?

Read the next line.

KC, dear confused friend. Its NOT about reading the next line in your post...its about choosing your battles and where those battles are fought. Its not about word, but more stratagy.

I am not gonna go to the RNC and start making Pro Obama statements and expect much support or agreement.

But we are talking about KC, now aren't we? You've had EVERYONE around you tell you to get out of the church you are going, but your feeling has you digging your heels in. And now you come to an atheist forum asking a question for Christians.

Do other hobbies of yours include beating your head against the wall?

D

No. I didn't come to an atheist forum asking a question to Christians. I came to an atheist forum asking for critiques on my question to Christians.

This is all bluntly stated.

I don't understand why this is so difficult to understand.

That is not difficult to understand. What is difficult to understand is why you think we would care about your conversations with other Christians.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-03-2012, 08:25 PM
(21-03-2012 11:03 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Certain communities liked some texts, and some didn't, and some liked others, and most had no clue what was going on in other places. It was the ANCIENT WORLD. Communication was very slow, if at all, between most places. There never was any "original" agreed set of texts used, until late in the game, (after the Council of Nicaea).

Nope, try the Council of Trent in the 1500s.

There was the concept of a "canon" as early as the Second Century, but probably no two "canons" looked alike in wording. The oldest existing Bibles have lots of variances between themselves, not to mention later texts. Codex Sanaiticus has been "corrected" thousands of times through the centuries. It includes the Epistle of Barnanas and Shepherd of Hermas. Codex Vaticanus excludes both of those plus Revelation and the Pastoral Epistles.
22-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Not so fast there, Mr. Blood.

Bucky is correct about Nicaea being the Council that it was charged with the responsibility from Constantine that they should agree on the Nature of Christ and agree on what was Canon. This was the first time Christian muckety mucks met and they put together the many canons that were floating around, they were mixed and matched and an "official" version was now available.
This was 325 CE

Trent in 1500 was a Council to counter the Protestant Reformation. The only thing it had to do with canon was keeping the Apochrypha in the Catholic Bible as being equally inspired as the rest of the Bible because Luther's Bible set them aside as being interesting background material, but certainly not "God Breathed."

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel