My Thoughts On Veganism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-03-2017, 11:55 PM
My Thoughts On Veganism
I know this might have been done, but here me out.

When reading through these kind of ideas I can't help but facepalm. It's annoying when I try to talk on a reasonable level with online Vegans. While not all of them are very harsh and mean about my opinions, the ones that are tick me off.

We can go around and around all day about what is healthy and what is not. Fact stands, not everyone can be vegan like you can be vegan. Everyone is made differently, and you pushing your views and opinions on others is only making your cause look like some sort of religious dogma. (Mainly the ones I have had the... pleasure of... debating in the past.)

I had to do a report on why people shouldn't Go Vegan. I looked up statements, stories, research, and other things. I found that many Vegans who claim these statements and stories are 'misrepresenting' Veganism or that their facts are 'not at all true' are ones who are very healthy on the Vegan diet.
My conclusion was simple: Not Everyone Can Thrive On A Vegan Diet.

Yet whenever I state this, I am met with people who act like 'Bible Thumpers' people who, mainly on youtube and vegan forums, treat their Veganism like a religion. (Granted not everyone who is vegan does, that is why the term 'Bible Thumper' means Extremist Christian.) They ask me troll like questions such as 'oh we need to portion our sizes to the right amount, tell me can you name how to do this without looking it up?' in a very much "I'm baby talking you like the idiot you are" way. These kinds of questions are very annoying to me. If it were all so easy, many people would be dieting. Yet there are very healthy people out there who do eat meat, yet they have a diet.

Needless to say many I talked with about this only stood to put me down more, even in a forum of atheist thinkers who were mostly vegan passive aggressively put me down as a 'idiot'. It got bad enough that I just stopped bothering, and they take this as a sign that I 'Ran away with my meat-eating tail between my legs'. It's more so me throwing the towel saying, 'Can you please stop bothering me with your stupid questions and baby talk, please?'

If you have gotten this far without getting triggered to hear my views in my current state then congrats you aren't the kind of Vegan I talk about. As you can tell I hold some anger to Vegans, butI've met few who have changed my opinions on the Vegan lifestyle. I used to think Veganism as like the anti-Christ. But after doing my research paper, I found it all depends upon the person. Just as there are religious people who are not in your face, there are vegans who won't talk to me like I'm the devil incarnate for eating meat.

All and all I am open to new ideas, could I ever be vegan. No, don't think my body could handle it as easy as others. Do I think everyone should go vegan? No, some people are like me, they just don't see themselves as vegan or they might have tried and it ended badly. Do I think veganism is an idiotic thing? No, it's your choice what you do, and if it's working for you great!

That's my thoughts, what do you think?

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Ruby Crystal's post
20-03-2017, 12:14 AM
RE: My Thoughts On Veganism
Agreed. 100% Couldn't have said it better.

Everyone has the right to do what they want so long as they aren't hurting anybody in my humble opinion, it's only fair that the same generosity is given back without hostility.
[+] 1 user Likes Larai19's post
20-03-2017, 12:39 AM
What you said was great but also, just horrible. Undecided

It made me hungry. I can't eat now - it's the middle of the night and I'll ruin my breakfast. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
20-03-2017, 01:22 AM
I'm sorry you've run into so many vegan assholes. I've experienced quite a few too and they make me cringe. You always seem to be polite and respectful, so if people can't discuss things sensibly with you, then they do indeed have a problem.

I don't think that such assholes are really representative of vegans as a whole. The reasonable vegans just get on with their life, so you don't generally hear from them. But a vegan forum is probably going to attract the more vocal and extreme people (like atheist forums often attract an unrepresentative number of enraged theists).

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
20-03-2017, 01:23 AM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2017 01:42 AM by Szuchow.)
I dislike vegans who think that not eating meat makes them better person than meat eaters - for dog sake it's only dietary preference. But if someone doesn't have anything else to be proud about then I guess this must be enough.

Other than that I do not care for vegans - their actions don't affect me and their eating habits don't bother me. It's like with anyone else - if one doesn't get preachy about x why should I care about him doing x (assuming x don't affect me). There also fact that no meat meals are quite tasty when one know how to cook them, but that's just side thought.

To conclude - being annoyed at vegans is like being annoyed on people who don't read romances. It doesn't make much sense.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
20-03-2017, 05:09 AM
There's food and there's feed. Food has legs and walks around. Feed is what food eats.

If you wanna eat feed, have at it.

I'll be eating food.

Pass the salt..

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
20-03-2017, 05:47 AM
I understand the empathy with animals very well.

I just think that there is a lot more merit in protecting and bettering the lives and deaths of animals raised for food.

A decent life and a stress-free death is what I wish for them. It's what I support by buying meat from local small family farms. The meat also tastes a lot better when the animal has been enjoying free movement and natural food.

Death isn't the enemy - it will happen either way. Our whole society keeps looking at death as the enemy - it's the enemy of the survivors, not the dead person/animal/plant. Killing an animal for food isn't inhumane - allowing an animal to suffer is.

Add in that I am convinced that there are benefits in eating the way we evolved and that I start missing meat after about one day without, and I'll never be a vegan.

There is some real nice tasty vegan food out there though, and if someone wants to restrict themselves to that, that's just fine by me.

It's not about whether one eats meat or not, it's about tolerance.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
20-03-2017, 07:09 AM
I am not vegan, but vegetarian. Would I like factory farming to be overhauled so these animals have at least one fraction of a better life? Hell yes.

That said, I have never tried to convert (and I have been vegetarian for 27 years - plenty of time for proselytizing), nor have I judged people/family when we go out to eat or at Thanksgiving.

What have I had done to me? A ragey uncle stick his red face in mine because humans are supposed to eat meat! Another person wave bacon under my nose "ahhhhhhh, soooooo good, you don't know what you're missing''
Comments about my Tofurky at Thanksgiving, etc. etc. etc. ETC.
Constant fucking questions about 'am I eating enough protein?' 'you really should eat meat while you're pregnant' and my lovely MIL who made a comment after I gained some weight a while back 'I thought vegetarians were supposed to be skinny'.
These were done to my person, I have read some real doozies online.

Unless you are a nutritionist that I hired for your professional advice, kindly STFU.

My .02

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 5 users Like ShadowProject's post
20-03-2017, 07:25 AM
(20-03-2017 07:09 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  I am not vegan, but vegetarian. Would I like factory farming to be overhauled so these animals have at least one fraction of a better life? Hell yes.

That said, I have never tried to convert (and I have been vegetarian for 27 years - plenty of time for proselytizing), nor have I judged people/family when we go out to eat or at Thanksgiving.

What have I had done to me? A ragey uncle stick his red face in mine because humans are supposed to eat meat! Another person wave bacon under my nose "ahhhhhhh, soooooo good, you don't know what you're missing''
Comments about my Tofurky at Thanksgiving, etc. etc. etc. ETC.
Constant fucking questions about 'am I eating enough protein?' 'you really should eat meat while you're pregnant' and my lovely MIL who made a comment after I gained some weight a while back 'I thought vegetarians were supposed to be skinny'.
These were done to my person, I have read some real doozies online.

Unless you are a nutritionist that I hired for your professional advice, kindly STFU.

My .02

This is why I love you Big Grin I've had similar things done and said to me, even though I never try to convert anyone or make them feel bad about what they do/don't eat. So when someone irl or on here feels the need to attack the way that I decide to live my life, it does kinda suck. Particularly because I also have to deal with it irl on occasion. That's why I almost left TTA recently. I deal with BS irl with my atheism and my veganism--I don't really need it here too--especially if I come here to escape some of that.
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
20-03-2017, 07:31 AM
I agree, jennybee.

It's honestly one of the topics that makes me really defensive. Why do people even care?? I'm not force-feeding anyone quinoa!

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like ShadowProject's post