My Thoughts On Veganism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2017, 07:31 AM
RE: My Thoughts On Veganism
I would also add that, imo, militaristic vegans are a small part of the vegan community. Obviously, they are the loudest so everyone thinks all vegans are like this. Most vegans I know are not. Just give people the benefit of the doubt if they tell you they are vegan and don't automatically assume they are going to try and convert you. It would be like a theist assuming that all atheists are condescending and rude to theists. Obviously, this is not true and would be unfair to assume *all* are like this. Most atheists I know, while they may not like religion, have theists in their lives who they love and respect. I know I do.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like jennybee's post
20-03-2017, 07:36 AM
(20-03-2017 07:31 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  I agree, jennybee.

It's honestly one of the topics that makes me really defensive. Why do people even care?? I'm not force-feeding anyone quinoa!

Agreed. I started a food thread and I never ever tell anyone how to eat. If I was going to do it, that would be the place, don'tcha think Tongue But I would hope by now people would realize I don't care how they decide to eat.
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
20-03-2017, 08:09 AM
Yup, I've been bullied most of my life because of it.

It's no excuse, but probably some of the arsehole vegans are people who are sick of being treated like freaks and just rage against anyone who doesn't agree with them. Just like what happens with some atheists.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
20-03-2017, 08:38 AM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2017 08:45 AM by Loom.)
My only gripe with vegans are with those who treat you like you are morally inferior for eating animals--and how hypocritical it is for you to call yourself an animal lover. That my efforts to only support local, free-range, family owned, humane farms is all a farce to make me feel better about being a 'murderer' and 'slaver'.

Otherwise I have no issue with what anyone eats.

I don't think it's healthy for ME to go vegan, or even vegetarian, because I already have trouble maintaining my iron levels WITH meat (and iron rich greens give me a stomach ache). Furthermore, I frequently drink warm milk or chicken broth when I have a panic attack--I sometimes get cold and stiffen up, so much I can hardly open my mouth. The warm drink is very soothing.

I do feel bad for the animals I ultimately end up using, which is why I do what I can to get my animal products from humane sources--more expensive, but far more worth it.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 2 users Like Loom's post
20-03-2017, 08:54 AM
(20-03-2017 07:25 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(20-03-2017 07:09 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  I am not vegan, but vegetarian. Would I like factory farming to be overhauled so these animals have at least one fraction of a better life? Hell yes.

That said, I have never tried to convert (and I have been vegetarian for 27 years - plenty of time for proselytizing), nor have I judged people/family when we go out to eat or at Thanksgiving.

What have I had done to me? A ragey uncle stick his red face in mine because humans are supposed to eat meat! Another person wave bacon under my nose "ahhhhhhh, soooooo good, you don't know what you're missing''
Comments about my Tofurky at Thanksgiving, etc. etc. etc. ETC.
Constant fucking questions about 'am I eating enough protein?' 'you really should eat meat while you're pregnant' and my lovely MIL who made a comment after I gained some weight a while back 'I thought vegetarians were supposed to be skinny'.
These were done to my person, I have read some real doozies online.

Unless you are a nutritionist that I hired for your professional advice, kindly STFU.

My .02

This is why I love you Big Grin I've had similar things done and said to me, even though I never try to convert anyone or make them feel bad about what they do/don't eat. So when someone irl or on here feels the need to attack the way that I decide to live my life, it does kinda suck. Particularly because I also have to deal with it irl on occasion. That's why I almost left TTA recently. I deal with BS irl with my atheism and my veganism--I don't really need it here too--especially if I come here to escape some of that.

Jennybee, and all other vegetarians and vegans on the forum, I've said this before but I'll say it again. Not being a foodie, I simply don't care what people eat. The whole subject of food bores the hell outta me. Well, with the exception of chocolate Yes which is one of the four food groups. Essentially, I'm about as interested in what you guys eat as to what kind of toothpaste you use. Drinking Beverage

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
20-03-2017, 09:12 AM
Why do people feel so defensive about this topic? Seems like a huge overreaction.

20-03-2017, 09:14 AM
(20-03-2017 08:38 AM)Loom Wrote:  My only gripe with vegans are with those who treat you like you are morally inferior for eating animals--and how hypocritical it is for you to call yourself an animal lover. That my efforts to only support local, free-range, family owned, humane farms is all a farce to make me feel better about being a 'murderer' and 'slaver'.

I don't think it's healthy for ME to go vegan, or even vegetarian, because I already have trouble maintaining my iron levels WITH meat (and iron rich greens give me a stomach ache). Furthermore, I frequently drink warm milk or chicken broth when I have a panic attack--I sometimes get cold and stiffen up, so much I can hardly open my mouth. The warm drink is very soothing.

I do feel bad for the animals I ultimately end up using, which is why I do what I can to get my animal products from humane sources--more expensive, but far more worth it.

Agreed, being vegan is not for everybody. I disagree with vegans who think you can't be an animal lover and eat meat. Most meat eaters I know are animal lovers and also want better conditions for animals in factory farms and in many cases, also buy cruelty free products and want the use of animals for purely recreational purposes stopped.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
20-03-2017, 09:16 AM
(20-03-2017 07:09 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  I am not vegan, but vegetarian. Would I like factory farming to be overhauled so these animals have at least one fraction of a better life? Hell yes.

That said, I have never tried to convert (and I have been vegetarian for 27 years - plenty of time for proselytizing), nor have I judged people/family when we go out to eat or at Thanksgiving.

What have I had done to me? A ragey uncle stick his red face in mine because humans are supposed to eat meat! Another person wave bacon under my nose "ahhhhhhh, soooooo good, you don't know what you're missing''
Comments about my Tofurky at Thanksgiving, etc. etc. etc. ETC.
Constant fucking questions about 'am I eating enough protein?' 'you really should eat meat while you're pregnant' and my lovely MIL who made a comment after I gained some weight a while back 'I thought vegetarians were supposed to be skinny'.
These were done to my person, I have read some real doozies online.

Unless you are a nutritionist that I hired for your professional advice, kindly STFU.

My .02

Oh, I SO completely agree! Thumbsup
People become complete moronic juveniles when they find I'm vegetarian. I could not care less what someone eats. And I'm fairly certain I've never waved a spoonful of mushroom risotto under anyone's nose but like yourself, it's been done to me - many, many times.

I have NO idea what they want to see me do. Do they want me to grab their food and run into a corner and devour it, snarling & laughing? Are they expecting me to bat their hand away and scream insults at them? Are they wanting me to burst into tears and uncontrollable wailing?

I really have no idea what ignorance has produced their behavior so, who knows what ignorance they expect in return.
Nice way to build trust, though. Or maybe there is something wrong with me. Gee, maybe I'm just not a giving person. Dodgy

Anyway, pretty sure I have said whatever I need to say about what I eat is right here.

I couldn't give a rat's ass what anyone eats.

Although, seriously - whoever does it, for whatever (controlling) reason - the back-handed shaming, the judgement, the belittling, taunting & bullying just needs to stop.

Nut up and shut up, alleged adults. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 5 users Like kim's post
20-03-2017, 10:00 AM
(20-03-2017 07:31 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I would also add that, imo, militaristic vegans are a small part of the vegan community. Obviously, they are the loudest so everyone thinks all vegans are like this. Most vegans I know are not. Just give people the benefit of the doubt if they tell you they are vegan and don't automatically assume they are going to try and convert you. It would be like a theist assuming that all atheists are condescending and rude to theists. Obviously, this is not true and would be unfair to assume *all* are like this. Most atheists I know, while they may not like religion, have theists in their lives who they love and respect. I know I do.

Yes this...the loudest people do tend to ruin things for rest just trying to live their lives.

(20-03-2017 08:38 AM)Loom Wrote:  My only gripe with vegans are with those who treat you like you are morally inferior for eating animals--and how hypocritical it is for you to call yourself an animal lover. That my efforts to only support local, free-range, family owned, humane farms is all a farce to make me feel better about being a 'murderer' and 'slaver'.

And that...

I'm extremely careful about what I buy meat wise. I'm also lucky enough to live in an area rife with small independent family type farms that do give their stock a pretty decent life. The chickens, cows, pigs, sheep, are free to do what they do normally. They're not kept in small pens...

It does often irk me when people assume that I'm personally "part of the problem", when I've tried to make it clear that I don't support the big processors.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
20-03-2017, 10:09 AM
(20-03-2017 09:16 AM)kim Wrote:  Nut up and shut up, alleged adults. Shy

I've been observing that there are many alleged adults who do not appear to have their shit together. This whole "adult" thing is a lie, I say!

[+] 3 users Like GenesisNemesis's post