My Thoughts On Veganism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2017, 10:24 AM
RE: My Thoughts On Veganism
[Image: veganshit.jpg]

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
20-03-2017, 10:44 AM
(20-03-2017 10:24 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  [Image: veganshit.jpg]

Nope. But I feel the same way when eating a veggie burger and french fries.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
20-03-2017, 10:47 AM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2017 10:52 AM by GirlyMan.)
The difference between vegetarianism and veganism is that one is a diet and one is more an ethical philosophy. It has been clearly demonstrated that a flesh-free diet has beneficial health effects and longevity outcomes, so other than people without the digestive capacity for fiber or other peculiar dietary needs I don't think there's much room for criticism of vegetarianism as a viable, healthy diet (assuming B12 suppplementation). Veganism's fundamental ethical principle to prevent or at least minimize suffering in any form is shared by any of a number of different philosophies. The difference I see with veganism is that by specifically focusing on reducing the suffering of animals there is a risk of overemphasizing one instance of suffering over another or muddying the abstract concept itself. Just because you can't hear the carrot scream as you pull it from its bed and throw it into a pot of boiling water .... Tongue Vegans which eat only fruit or nuts or other harvesting methods which do not cause damage to the plant are closer to exhibiting the ethical principle they are promoting.

That said, "first do no harm" is not just for physicians.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
20-03-2017, 10:49 AM
The best way I can describe my mouth not "watering" for a steak is...think of a food that absolutely disgust you. Everyone has one. This is how I feel about meat. So when people say "Wow, you have so much control to not eat meat." It's like, yeah, not difficult at all for me. It would be like my saying "Wow, the fact that you don't eat the food that totally disgusts you, you have so much willpower." Tongue
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
20-03-2017, 10:49 AM
(20-03-2017 07:31 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  I agree, jennybee.

It's honestly one of the topics that makes me really defensive. Why do people even care?? I'm not force-feeding anyone quinoa!

I'm not vegan or vegetarian, but there were passages in the OP which struck me as unnecessarily agitating. My antennae automatically go up when I read "triggered" used in seriousness, for instance.

Anyway, I've got nothing against vegans or vegetarians. I do, however, harbor great dislike for preachy, sanctimonious assbiscuits.
[+] 6 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
20-03-2017, 10:50 AM
(20-03-2017 10:47 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The difference between vegetarianism and veganism is that one is a diet and one is more an ethical philosophy. It has been clearly demonstrated that a flesh-free diet has beneficial health effects and longevity outcomes, so other than people without the digestive capacity for fiber or other peculiar dietary needs I don't think there's much room for criticism of vegetarianism as a viable, healthy diet (assuming B12 suppplementation). Veganism's fundamental ethical principle to prevent or at least minimize suffering in any form is shared by any of a number of different philosophies. The difference I see with veganism is that by specifically focusing on reducing the suffering of animals there is a risk of overemphasizing one instance of suffering over another or muddying the abstract concept itself. Just because you can't hear the carrot scream as you pull it from its bed and throw it into a pot of boiling water .... Tongue

That said, "first do no harm" is not just for physicians.

Do no harm is also one of the philosophies of yoga.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
20-03-2017, 11:05 AM
(20-03-2017 10:00 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  ---
I'm extremely careful about what I buy meat wise. I'm also lucky enough to live in an area rife with small independent family type farms that do give their stock a pretty decent life. The chickens, cows, pigs, sheep, are free to do what they do normally. They're not kept in small pens...

It does often irk me when people assume that I'm personally "part of the problem", when I've tried to make it clear that I don't support the big processors.

This is another personal reason I went vegetarian many years ago.
I practically grew up in my grandparents farm. My grandpa raised & sold cattle and when he died and my uncles got too old, my brother & I sold off the last of the cattle to neighbor farmers. I saw animals raised with respect for their life, not just for the value of their death. There is a difference.

As an adult, I've lived in a college town for more than 30 years in the very heart of beef country. 25 of those years the town I still live in was also a slaughterhouse town.

Living so close to the greed and corruption became nearly intolerable. I think I just saw too much disrespectful activity around me, so I developed my own micro-revolution, starting with food.

I may not control a lot of things, but I can always control what goes into & comes out of my mouth. Wink

Today, the town's plant only processes (cuts & packages) meats and no longer does any slaughtering. Its been this way for 8 or 9 years and the once near-dead town, is now practically thriving. We finally have clean air and more businesses have trickled in because of it.

Thanks to people like you Moms, there is a greater demand for the smaller batch, family farm raised animal product. You may not notice it but I see it every single day. Your personal efforts have helped to make considerable changes. Bowing

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
20-03-2017, 11:37 AM
(20-03-2017 10:49 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(20-03-2017 07:31 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  I agree, jennybee.

It's honestly one of the topics that makes me really defensive. Why do people even care?? I'm not force-feeding anyone quinoa!

I'm not vegan or vegetarian, but there were passages in the OP which struck me as unnecessarily agitating. My antennae automatically go up when I read "triggered" used in seriousness, for instance.

Anyway, I've got nothing against vegans or vegetarians. I do, however, harbor great dislike for preachy, sanctimonious assbiscuits.
Thump, I knew I could count on you for a good turn of wordage.
Assbiscuits Thumbsup
The OP did indeed "trigger" me in a similar fashion.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
20-03-2017, 11:39 AM
Quote:Everyone has one.

Yeah.....fucking broccoli.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
20-03-2017, 11:56 AM
(20-03-2017 11:39 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:Everyone has one.

Yeah.....fucking broccoli.

[Image: Bacon-Wrapped-Broccoli-Florets1_zpsk4i9coij.jpg]

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post