My Thoughts On Veganism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2017, 12:51 PM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2017 12:54 PM by JesseB.)
RE: My Thoughts On Veganism
My thoughts on veganism. I tried it for several weeks (when I had enough money to afford it). I never felt better in my entire life! I would love to go back to it.

Life consumes life to survive. I accept this, I'm not gripped with the overwhelming moral objections of some (and I don't view their moral objections as unreasonable or a bad thing, just I don't have the same strong reaction on those grounds). That said, I think there is a case to be made that animals are closer to our level of self awareness, they have the ability to feel pain. And generally I would prefer to seek a world with far less death, in all species, not just humans. I hope for a day when people accept veganism as a normal thing for these reasons, I'm all for things like 3d printed meat.

There's so many other logical reasons why veganism can be a superior lifestyle in my opinion. Especially if we introduce new farming techniques like vertical farming. We could have less of a negative impact on our environment. Less diabetes. and so much more (and yes sugar cane and high fructos corn syrup are from plants, however its easier to avoid these food related illnesses with a proper plant based diet).

I do have this one weird thought however. What happens if one day both animals and plants develop a human level self awareness, and the ability to communicate with us in a meaningful way? What then would we eat?

I never presume to have the answers. But my answer is, when I can afford to go back to a vegan diet I will. I look forward to feeling healthy again, something I've never achieved on any other diet. I'm tired of waking up each morning feeling like I spent the night with my head in a blender, especially since I don't drink alcohol)

Edit^ I'm not trying to push my opinions, just why I decide what I decide, people who eat meat are fine by my standards, i make no moral judgments against them either.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
20-03-2017, 12:55 PM
(19-03-2017 11:55 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  I know this might have been done, but here me out.

When reading through these kind of ideas I can't help but facepalm. It's annoying when I try to talk on a reasonable level with online Vegans. While not all of them are very harsh and mean about my opinions, the ones that are tick me off.

We can go around and around all day about what is healthy and what is not. Fact stands, not everyone can be vegan like you can be vegan. Everyone is made differently, and you pushing your views and opinions on others is only making your cause look like some sort of religious dogma. (Mainly the ones I have had the... pleasure of... debating in the past.)

I had to do a report on why people shouldn't Go Vegan. I looked up statements, stories, research, and other things. I found that many Vegans who claim these statements and stories are 'misrepresenting' Veganism or that their facts are 'not at all true' are ones who are very healthy on the Vegan diet.
My conclusion was simple: Not Everyone Can Thrive On A Vegan Diet.

Yet whenever I state this, I am met with people who act like 'Bible Thumpers' people who, mainly on youtube and vegan forums, treat their Veganism like a religion. (Granted not everyone who is vegan does, that is why the term 'Bible Thumper' means Extremist Christian.) They ask me troll like questions such as 'oh we need to portion our sizes to the right amount, tell me can you name how to do this without looking it up?' in a very much "I'm baby talking you like the idiot you are" way. These kinds of questions are very annoying to me. If it were all so easy, many people would be dieting. Yet there are very healthy people out there who do eat meat, yet they have a diet.

Needless to say many I talked with about this only stood to put me down more, even in a forum of atheist thinkers who were mostly vegan passive aggressively put me down as a 'idiot'. It got bad enough that I just stopped bothering, and they take this as a sign that I 'Ran away with my meat-eating tail between my legs'. It's more so me throwing the towel saying, 'Can you please stop bothering me with your stupid questions and baby talk, please?'

If you have gotten this far without getting triggered to hear my views in my current state then congrats you aren't the kind of Vegan I talk about. As you can tell I hold some anger to Vegans, butI've met few who have changed my opinions on the Vegan lifestyle. I used to think Veganism as like the anti-Christ. But after doing my research paper, I found it all depends upon the person. Just as there are religious people who are not in your face, there are vegans who won't talk to me like I'm the devil incarnate for eating meat.

All and all I am open to new ideas, could I ever be vegan. No, don't think my body could handle it as easy as others. Do I think everyone should go vegan? No, some people are like me, they just don't see themselves as vegan or they might have tried and it ended badly. Do I think veganism is an idiotic thing? No, it's your choice what you do, and if it's working for you great!

That's my thoughts, what do you think?

In my opinion. You are not a bad person at all.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
20-03-2017, 05:16 PM
I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to graze on fungus.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
20-03-2017, 05:18 PM
(20-03-2017 07:31 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  I agree, jennybee.

It's honestly one of the topics that makes me really defensive. Why do people even care?? I'm not force-feeding anyone quinoa!

Could I have some quinoa? Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like Larai19's post
20-03-2017, 06:14 PM
(20-03-2017 05:18 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  
(20-03-2017 07:31 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  I agree, jennybee.

It's honestly one of the topics that makes me really defensive. Why do people even care?? I'm not force-feeding anyone quinoa!

Could I have some quinoa? Big Grin

Like I would generally agree with both of you, for me its just really good for my diabetes on a personal level.

On a larger scale, I am around farming and ranching communities, I see how much our farming and ranching practices harms the environment, we gotta do something about this (also the food industry really fucks people over by stuffing sugar in EVERYTHING). Idk I don't want to force anyone to do anything they don't want to do, its just....

That's why I mention things like vertical farming. If we as a species want to continue to live, we gotta try some new things. That said I never said I think its immoral, and I don't think anyone that eats meat is bad, I mean I ate meat today even. I guess I"m not very pushy on average about it, so maybe I'm not so much the kind of person ya'll are worried about.

I agree overly pushy people are annoying.

idk what quinoa is but I'll try anything once. Smile

Big Grin
20-03-2017, 06:22 PM
(20-03-2017 06:14 PM)JesseB Wrote:  
(20-03-2017 05:18 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  Could I have some quinoa? Big Grin

Like I would generally agree with both of you, for me its just really good for my diabetes on a personal level.

On a larger scale, I am around farming and ranching communities, I see how much our farming and ranching practices harms the environment, we gotta do something about this (also the food industry really fucks people over by stuffing sugar in EVERYTHING). Idk I don't want to force anyone to do anything they don't want to do, its just....

That's why I mention things like vertical farming. If we as a species want to continue to live, we gotta try some new things. That said I never said I think its immoral, and I don't think anyone that eats meat is bad, I mean I ate meat today even. I guess I"m not very pushy on average about it, so maybe I'm not so much the kind of person ya'll are worried about.

Quinoa is amazing Big Grin

Works as a great rice substitute.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
20-03-2017, 06:43 PM
(20-03-2017 06:22 PM)Loom Wrote:  
(20-03-2017 06:14 PM)JesseB Wrote:  Like I would generally agree with both of you, for me its just really good for my diabetes on a personal level.

Quinoa is amazing Big Grin

Works as a great rice substitute.

Quinoa is a part of my breakfast cereal.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
20-03-2017, 06:45 PM
(20-03-2017 10:44 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(20-03-2017 10:24 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  [Image: veganshit.jpg]

Nope. But I feel the same way when eating a veggie burger and french fries.

A veggie burger?

Isn't that sorta like masturbating, and faking an orgasm????

If you want a burger, eat a burger....

If you want a soybean, eat a soybean...

But get crissakes....

Don't eat a soybean and call it a burger!!!!!

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
20-03-2017, 07:10 PM
(20-03-2017 06:45 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(20-03-2017 10:44 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Nope. But I feel the same way when eating a veggie burger and french fries.

A veggie burger?

But get crissakes....

"Burger" can also be used to describe a variation of a hamburger as defined here:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/burger

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
20-03-2017, 07:12 PM
(20-03-2017 06:45 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(20-03-2017 10:44 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Nope. But I feel the same way when eating a veggie burger and french fries.

A veggie burger?

But get crissakes....

I wouldn't know. I don't fake my orgasms. A veggie burger doesn't taste like meat, which is why I like it. I like the toppings too--avocado, tomato, lettuce, mustard, pickles. I also eat soybeans aka tofu. The veggie burger is made out of tofu aka soybeans. So I am eating soybeans when I eat the my "burger." A meat burger would make me sick because it tastes like meat, so that doesn't work for me.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post