My Thoughts On Veganism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2017, 07:49 PM
RE: My Thoughts On Veganism
(20-03-2017 07:39 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(20-03-2017 07:37 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  The reason I brought it up was because I wanted to see if my thoughts did make sense well with that I kept finding.
AKA 'Not everyone can be vegan'
was my conclusion. However I got many militaristic vegans tell me I was an idiot.

This was more so just seeing if people who were vegans or vegetarian did get where I was coming from. As I was at my witz end with some idiots.

I've seen many militaristic meat eaters (I'm a meat eater currently myself) tell me that veganism is stupid, so... Tongue

Laugh out load I've met people like that also.
I used to be that kind of meat eater, then I found the wonderful thing called google Tongue

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Ruby Crystal's post
20-03-2017, 07:52 PM
(20-03-2017 07:39 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(20-03-2017 07:37 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  The reason I brought it up was because I wanted to see if my thoughts did make sense well with that I kept finding.
was my conclusion. However I got many militaristic vegans tell me I was an idiot.

This was more so just seeing if people who were vegans or vegetarian did get where I was coming from. As I was at my witz end with some idiots.

I've seen many militaristic meat eaters (I'm a meat eater currently myself) tell me that veganism is stupid, so... Tongue

Yupppppppppp Tongue

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
20-03-2017, 08:36 PM
(20-03-2017 07:37 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  
(20-03-2017 09:12 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Why do people feel so defensive about this topic? Seems like a huge overreaction.

The reason I brought it up was because I wanted to see if my thoughts did make sense well with that I kept finding.

I'd like to think I do get where you're coming from. And I'm sorry you're surrounded by so many idiots. I do not agree with them. Personally I think the position I stated before is far more reasonable, and doesn't force people to do things they aren't comfortable with.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
20-03-2017, 09:17 PM
I really don't get why anyone would call someone stupid for not eating something. Now eating something, yes, but really, all vegans are IMO are people who simply stop eating part of the available food. There is nothing that Jenny can eat that I can't so why is a vegan stupid for liking cale but not beef? I just don't get it.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 4 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
20-03-2017, 09:54 PM
I do not even understand why we have to have conversations like this. (Not a shot at you Ruby.) All it does it divides people and make sides and useless arguments. It's just so stupid and frustrating this has to be a thing all because of what some people do or don't put into their mouths.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 4 users Like JDog554's post
20-03-2017, 10:09 PM
(20-03-2017 09:54 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I do not even understand why we have to have conversations like this. (Not a shot at you Ruby.) All it does it divides people and make sides and useless arguments. It's just so stupid and frustrating this has to be a thing all because of what some people do or don't put into their mouths.

Especially when there is no debate. All of the vegans and vegetarians on here get along well with the meat-eaters and none of the vegan/vegetarian people are militaristic or trying to convert anyone. I just find that threads like this tend to be less about an active discussion and instead veer more to an attack on the vegan/vegetarian lifestyle by *some*. It is kinda irritating when none of us do anything to bring any of it on other than simply existing and living our lives. But that said, it's an open forum and all discussion are allowed, which is nice, so I will try and roll with it as best I can. And if it gets too much, there's always the vegan atheists group Tongue

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
20-03-2017, 11:32 PM
This was kind of a first for me. Everytime I proposed this idea to anyone else, or anywhere else, I was called and idiot or stupid.

Per-say this was a social experiment. I like to double check my facts also, understanding different view points, debates or not, to see the whole picture and forum my own conclusion.

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
21-03-2017, 12:19 AM
Everyone develops their own morality. Clearly to some people, there is no moral conflict about eating meat. (Although I suspect that there actually is, for the people who aggressively challenge me when I haven't even said anything about it. This has happened a lot in my life.)

For me, it's an incredibly important moral issue. It's about personal sacrifice for what I believe in. I loved the taste of meat, but I gave it up because I strongly felt it was wrong. I didn't want to pay for someone to own, breed, exploit and kill animals. It's no longer a sacrifice as such, because I couldn't physically eat it now even if I wanted to. It utterly disgusts me. If I had to eat it to survive, I'd probably end my life.

I own the fact that this is my subjective morality. I don't claim that "I am right". I do appreciate that there are some people who would struggle from a dietary point of view as well, without meat. There are also huge numbers of extremely ignorant people who makes outrageous claims about vegan diets, some going as far as to say "People would die if they don't eat meat". Yeah, right buddy. Maybe a little more research is needed.

I do however find non-dietary arguments people put forth as to why it's "okay" to eat meat to be incredibly faulty. They contain broken logic, often from people who I know would recognize it as such if used in another context. Almost always, the argument could just as easily be applied to humans (or some humans), but the same person would then immediately object. The fact is, most people draw an arbitrary line between humans and other animals, and think it's okay to treat both sides very differently. That is their subjective morality, and I accept that (although obviously I don't agree). But attempts to rationalize this without admitting this divide always fail. Just substitute "black people" for "animals" in any such argument, and you'll see what I mean.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-03-2017, 12:52 AM
(21-03-2017 12:19 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  ... Just substitute "black people" for "animals" in any such argument, and you'll see what I mean.

Sorry, this is false equivalence. Not good evidence.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
21-03-2017, 02:33 PM
The line between humans and animals is not arbitrary, I don't think. Seems to me it's based on consciousness. As we learn more about animals, we're learning that we probably need to broaden our definition of "consciousness".

Yes, humans are animals. But not all animals are equal.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post