My Thoughts On Veganism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2017, 04:44 PM
RE: My Thoughts On Veganism
Oh fuck me.... I just broke my 666 likes given record....

This isn't a battle I want to fight, I didn't comment intending to attack anyone, nor did I desire to open myself to attack. This is generally a very emotional subject for people. I can get the emotional desire to beat up on meat eaters, and I can get the emotional desire to beat up on non meat eaters.

I think the OP has been overly subjected to one side of two ideological extreme's, that is always hard. If I follow events correctly, she wanted to know if she is alone. I think from the general tone, she is not alone. Which is good!

I for one respect the people here, and have no desire to be at conflict with any of the posters I've seen. The OP asked for thoughts, I gave mine. I certainly hope that sharing my thoughts hasn't caused some to close their minds to me as a person. I personally don't enjoy loosing friends. I saw a question, so I answered it. I should have payed more attention to the tone of the room before doing so. That was my mistake and I apologize for it.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
21-03-2017, 04:55 PM
If you're not eating SynBio, you're a filthy organic organism murder death killer! Sleepy

Or maybe I'm full o shit, and e'erbody else, on both sides, needs some reverse sensitivity training. Tongue

21-03-2017, 05:01 PM
(21-03-2017 04:44 PM)JesseB Wrote:  Oh fuck me.... I just broke my 666 likes given record....

This isn't a battle I want to fight, I didn't comment intending to attack anyone, nor did I desire to open myself to attack. This is generally a very emotional subject for people. I can get the emotional desire to beat up on meat eaters, and I can get the emotional desire to beat up on non meat eaters.

I think the OP has been overly subjected to one side of two ideological extreme's, that is always hard. If I follow events correctly, she wanted to know if she is alone. I think from the general tone, she is not alone. Which is good!

I for one respect the people here, and have no desire to be at conflict with any of the posters I've seen. The OP asked for thoughts, I gave mine. I certainly hope that sharing my thoughts hasn't caused some to close their minds to me as a person. I personally don't enjoy loosing friends. I saw a question, so I answered it. I should have payed more attention to the tone of the room before doing so. That was my mistake and I apologize for it.

I don't think anyone's mad at you for answering the question. No worries Hug

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
21-03-2017, 05:27 PM
(21-03-2017 04:44 PM)JesseB Wrote:  Oh fuck me.... I just broke my 666 likes given record....

For what it is worth I've seen nothing outrageous in your post.

I don't see eating or not eating meat as something that evokes many emotions, or more to the point as something worthy of evoking much emotions. But I heard slaughtering of livestock being likened to Shoah with straight face so it seems that I'm wrong. It apparently is very emotional subject, but arguing about dietary preferences I see as far less sensible than arguing about favorite kind of books. As long as choice is voluntary and no one get's preachy then there is no problem.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
21-03-2017, 06:45 PM
Thank you Jennybee and szuchow

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
21-03-2017, 07:47 PM
(19-03-2017 11:55 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  If you have gotten this far without getting triggered . . .
AAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! Gasp

Oops. Sorry. I'm all better now. Blush

A biologist I know once opined on the topic of veganism:

"Mankind got to the top of the evolutionary heap by eating everything that got in his way.
And if he wants to stay there, he had better keep doing it."

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
22-03-2017, 08:40 AM
I think veganism/vegetarianism/omnivorousness is an interesting look into ethics.

Look, if you are happy with not eating meat and you are healthy, cool beans. If you are healthy and happy not eating meat or animal products then perhaps for you there is no ethical reason to consume meat. For those of us who cannot be happy or healthy without meat, then eating meat is ethical.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
22-03-2017, 09:05 AM
I'm not vegan or vegetarian, but I do try to eat more fish and chicken than pork or red meats. Is pescatarian-ish a thing? Laugh out load Probably not.

Anyway, a friend and coworker is a vegetarian and there is someone in the office that is always rudely trying to get her to eat meat. She's done awful things like offer her breakfast cooked with sausage in it, and said things like, "You need to eat meat in order for your brain to work properly", etc. So, now that's an inside joke we have with my friend. We tease her to say that if only she'd eat meat, she would be able to run this job, or whatever other bullshit that we all know is not true. Of course, she's in on it, and has a really good humor about it. Because we aren't the ones trying to get her to actually eat meat. That's the other lady, and she's not allowed in on the jokes.

Anyway- to all you out there with diets where someone waves their food in your face, I suggest this- sneeze on it next time they do it. "Woops, sorry- natural reaction when I get too close... Oh look! Now you feel about your meal the same way I feel about all of that food!"
[+] 3 users Like Emma's post