My Vegetarianism, under the scope.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-06-2012, 09:39 PM
RE: My Vegetarianism, under the scope.
(22-06-2012 09:22 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  I would probably buy more meat that uses cak, or controlled atmosphere killing.

Where the cattle, chickens, piggys, are killed by an inert gas like nitrogen or argon.

The effects produced make the animals feel amazing before death ensues, and kills very quickly.
Really? That's called suffocation.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
22-06-2012, 09:50 PM (This post was last modified: 22-06-2012 09:53 PM by fstratzero.)
(22-06-2012 09:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-06-2012 09:22 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  I would probably buy more meat that uses cak, or controlled atmosphere killing.

Where the cattle, chickens, piggys, are killed by an inert gas like nitrogen or argon.

The effects produced make the animals feel amazing before death ensues, and kills very quickly.
Yes it is. But the point is if the killing is painless, then they don't suffer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87fdhBIbe...ge#t=2526s

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
22-06-2012, 09:53 PM
(22-06-2012 09:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  

With the right gas it feels nothing like suffocation. It feels like nothing at all. ... Or so I'm told.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
22-06-2012, 10:01 PM
(22-06-2012 09:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(22-06-2012 09:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  Really? That's called suffocation.

With the right gas it feels nothing like suffocation. It feels like nothing at all. ... Or so I'm told.
And I've been told there are faeries in the garden.

Has either of you ever been starved for oxygen? It is neither 'amazing' or 'like nothing at all'.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
22-06-2012, 10:09 PM
(22-06-2012 10:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-06-2012 09:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  With the right gas it feels nothing like suffocation. It feels like nothing at all. ... Or so I'm told.

Has either of you ever been starved for oxygen? It is neither 'amazing' or 'like nothing at all'.
Did you click my video link?

What's inside the link is a scientist working on the idea that he can induce hypoxia, in farm animals. Preventing the unnecessary suffering cause when the animal is traditionally slaughtered.

No check out this video it'll demonstrate the effect for you, on humans.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTNX6mr75...ure=topics

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
22-06-2012, 10:16 PM (This post was last modified: 22-06-2012 10:21 PM by GirlyMan.)
(22-06-2012 10:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-06-2012 09:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  With the right gas it feels nothing like suffocation. It feels like nothing at all. ... Or so I'm told.

Nope. But apparently there are gases which induce hypoxia without me even realizing it. ... Or so I'm told. Wink

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
22-06-2012, 10:25 PM
(22-06-2012 10:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(22-06-2012 10:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  And I've been told there are faeries in the garden.

Nope. But apparently there are gases which induce hypoxia without me even realizing it. ... Or so I'm told. Wink
I just hope they at least check out the link. Even if they reject eating meat, this type of slaughter might be the most practical and humane.

-Baron d'Holbach-
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
23-06-2012, 08:44 AM
Still drink milk huh?

Obviously never been brought up on a dairy farm.

Please allow me to explain how the milk from a cow system works so that I may change your mind about milk being okay to drink in the sense that it doesn't harm animals.

(Just a side note, you'll never get me to stop eating meat or dairy and eggs.)

step 1) Obtain a bunch of cows. (obvious)
step 2) obtain 1 or 2 bulls (that's male cows) per hmm, 400 or so cows.
step 3) once a year allow the bulls in the field with the cows to basically impregnate them all.
step 4) artificially impregnate those that are not impregnated by the bulls.
(No impregnation, no milk, useless cow)
step 5) wait until cows give birth (that's 400 cows giving birth to over 400 calfs)
step 6) those calfs that survive, sell to be slaughtered
step 7) those that die, leave in a pile at the end of your drive way to be collected and turned into fertilizer.

Now here's a fun fact: Both turned into meat and turned in fertilizer pay the farmer for the bobby calfs. However, which one pays more determines if the clafs die on the farm, or die in a slaughter house because the fertilizer guy doesn't take alive calfs. *chick chick boom*

Calfs are considered a by-product of the milk industry and most end up dead, a few end up being raised into cows to keep the numbers up but not many.

step 8) (Now that the cows have given birth they have started producing milk) Milk cows in the milking machine 2 times a day.
step 9) Sell milk to producer who does whatever and sells it to you and I.

You see, milk is hardly "animal friendly" considering you're killing calf's for every cow in order to keep the cow "artificially" producing milk. Not to mention because you keep milking the cow she keeps producing milk, but you still have calfing session once a year to increase milk production.

So by drinking milk you are not only killing animals, but killing baby animals. I hope you're happy with yourself..murderer.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
23-06-2012, 09:35 AM
The vegetarian/vegan/etc. argument always cracks me up.

The ones I love are the self-proclaimed vegans wearing leather products, or makeup containing animal products. Awesomeness.

If someone doesn't want to eat meat (or blueberries or tomatoes), who cares? I don't eat olives or pickles. BFD.

Where I get bent is when the vegetarian/vegan starts getting self-righteous, judgmental and preachy. Almost invariably, they are either ignorant, misinformed... or just looking for some justification to feel superior about themselves. Cracks me up.

Open your mouth. If you still have all your teeth (remember: floss, brush, rinse every day!), you'll see you have canine teeth, as well as incisors. If you were "evolved" to be vegetarian, you wouldn't have the canines.

Congratulations, dumbass, you're still omnivorous by way of evolution like the rest of us. Ignorant statements like "humans aren't meant to eat meat" or "I've evolved beyond that" are horseshit, plain and simple. The fact that vegans (on average) are much more susceptible to lower bone density, B12 deficiency and anemia - among many other issues - is a pretty good indicator that this is a dietary CHOICE, as opposed to what we have evolved to do by nature. Yes, you can jump through some serious dietary hoops to get these things without supplements while on a vegan diet, but it is oh so difficult.

Do any of you vegans own dogs? Do you force them to eat vegan diets, too? That's not only stupid, but willfully cruel to your pet. They're not made for it, even less so than we are. If you don't force them into cockamamie vegan dog diets, then you're being terrible and cruel to those poor animals that were sacrificed so your pet could eat. You murderer! Rolleyes

I always sum it up a little more simply & sarcastically - if vegetarianism is so healthy, why haven't I ever met a vegetarian that could kick my ass? Or even beat me in arm-wrestling? Really, I haven't. Wink

Like I said originally, before pi$$ing off many of you, I'm sure... I don't care what you do or don't eat. When you get preachy & self-righteous about it, it smacks of RELIGIOUS BULL$HIT to me. The same dogmatic crap, holier-than-thou attitudes, and divisiveness that I hate about religion.

If you have a moral issue with the food chain & the nature of existence among all animals, so be it. The problem is yours, though, not mine. Don't tell me I'm wrong, cruel, or inferior to you for my dietary choices, unless you want to get smacked around by an omnivore. Smile Moral superiority, my ass...
[+] 5 users Like DannyW's post
28-06-2012, 12:32 PM
(22-06-2012 08:34 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Hey cuff link, good questions!

1. I have two suggestions. First, finding a source for meat etc, may be a bit of a search at first. If you go for a drive in the country, keep an eye out for little "fresh eggs" signs. It could just be a guy with some laying hens, but he's also the guy more likely to know the other guy a few miles down that raises pasture cattle. So ask questions. Shop at farmers markets. A lot of those people will sell other products too, but you gotta ask.

My other suggestion is, check you're zoning laws. If you have a backyard, you can probably keep a couple hens! Believe it or not, a lot of north America allows chickens in the city, just hens though, not roosters. And it's a myth that you need a roo. I KNOW it is a myth. Trust me.

As well as chickens, you may be able to keep a cole rabbits. Try rabbit, and if you like it, why not breed a pair and put a little extra meat in the freezer?

2. Not only do I wear leather, I think it's a great thing. Problem is, the leather on the shelf at the department store is from an animal that was raised for it's leather. The cow was starved, and deprived of water for weeks before it was killed, because it would have been a waste of money to feed it, and because it's easier to skin an emancipated animal. After it was killed, the carcass was discarded, since the starved animal would yield terrible meat.

Leather, hides, skins, furs, whatever, should be harvested from the animals we eat. And although it's hard to avoid in products these days, I do a pretty damn good job of it. My wife sews, crochet, and is extremely creative, so most of what I wear is either from a source that I trust, or my wife, who is the one I trust most. Our meat rabbits become the nicest winter mitts you could imagine. I own few articles of clothing too. I prefer to buy a very high quality hemp sweater that will last for five years of daily wear than a new, cheap cotton one every year.

As for silk.....I guess I'll give it some though. Thing is, I'm a farmer. Ain't no way I'm buying something made of silk! Lol

3. Well I don't do lobster unless I'm on the coast of it's a very special occasion. Allergic to fish, but I'll still feed it to my family if I catch some. They love it, and I enjoy fishing. (yes, I fish, but don't really want to go there. It's potentially a whole new topic)

Look, I'm not the strictest when it comes to these things I do. I've found that being overly strict ("you may never eat another burger again") just makes the whole thing discouraging. Instead, I do as MANY things that I can to improve stuff, and the strictness isn't necessary, because one day you just turn around and go, "holy shit, I haven't eaten a McDonald's for three friggin years!"

Now go and grow a tomato plant in your window!

Thanks for the suggestions, SR. I've come to realize that the key for me is to make sure the perfect doesn't become the enemy of the good. i can't be perfectly consistent, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't try to make the changes I can.

Tomatoes? Tried growing 'em, with moderate success. Battling the hornworms and the squirrels takes effort, but when you get tomatoes that actually have flavor, as opposed to the red tennis balls they sell in the supers, it's worth it.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post