My Wife the Believer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-12-2014, 05:10 PM (This post was last modified: 29-12-2014 05:15 PM by Tomasia.)
RE: My Wife the Believer
(29-12-2014 12:33 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Where to start with this?

First, Kudos for showing your true colours! That's the only positive statement I can make about this.

You understand why that statement earns you a swift kick to the crotch from every Jew ever born? The rest of us will be happy to help of course but we'll need to get in line.

Your sweet, lovely wife is mourning the loss of a good person and dear fiend and this is how you respond?

You can simultaneously conceive of an entity this monstrous and worthy of your worship?

It's interesting how much a person can read into one string of texts. And since this is now a topic of discussion, it's only fair that I address it.

My wife works in a nursing home, in which a residents die quite frequently. I don't know how to relate. To me when someone’s old their death seems just a matter of fact. And if one becomes so accustom to it, how can they continue to feel that loss that just repeats itself every few months or so? When does death just become a part of life, like everything else, if not when it becomes a features of one's everyday life, around the corner at every waking minute, its presence felt as infinite. Why grieve what just reoccurs and reoccurs and reoccurs?

I don't understand that world of hers of course, I don’t think many of her coworkers do either. Perhaps that world is one others here do understand, and I'm just an odd one who doesn't. I can't feel her loss, it has no weight in the cold and indifferent world of my own being, I can only feel her sadness, which I only know how to comfort through humor, sometimes dark and morbid humor. If she was someone other than my wife, I likely would have passed along a series of customary platitudes, which she would have recognized as inauthentic.

Humor has been my customary way of dealing with grief, a feature of my own childhood, and predicaments, to take the seemingly cruel wheels of the world, and transform them into small and insignificant parts. To take sorrow, and give it levity.

Quote:You post here as if you were a reasonable and moderate theist yet the entire time this horror is what you truly are? You compound the atrocity of your beliefs with the monumental dishonesty.

The offending comment was a jab at the fundie tradition she was raised in, her unresolved theology. They are neither representative of what she in fact believes, nor what I believe. It was a form of self-deprecating, seemingly dark, and totally inappropriate humor.

Quote:of a hiding it behind a friendly theist act. And then, having unwittingly revealed it you edit your post to conceal it once more.

I would like to be friendly. If I could find a way to bottle up whatever friendliness, whatever empathy, whatever kindheartedness I feel at particular moment, and make it my permanent state, I would. But I’m too finicky, too temperamental, too easily given to irritability, to be perpetually of one state and mind. Those who have followed my post since my arrival here, can likely attest that they run the gamut, my responses a testament to how I feel at any given moment, and some folks are more likely to feel my ire than others.

I don’t hide this, in fact I’m horrible at hiding or suppressing what I feel. If my responses seem friendly, it’s only because nothing at that particular moment has pissed me off, or crawled up my butt to be otherwise, but that can always change of course, as much as I wish it wouldn’t. Nothing is hidden here; no one is acting; i’m always on full display, even if that means being a buffoon.

If you were to accuse me of being a jerk, an asshole, whose seeming lack of empathy and morbid humor is totally inappropriate, all these allegations would be true, it’s why I speak of myself as an envious observer rather than a participant of my wife’s sense of life.

Quote:One last question. How did your lovely wife respond to that little quip?

She grinned on the inside, at least that’s what I imagined she did after a series of expletives, and the divorce papers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-12-2014, 06:08 PM
(29-12-2014 05:10 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  The offending comment was a jab at the fundie tradition she was raised in, her unresolved theology. They are neither representative of what she in fact believes, nor what I believe. It was a form of self-deprecating, seemingly dark, and totally inappropriate humor.

Ok I can actually get that. People post fundie stuff like that all the time here for a laugh. Obviously you needed to provide the context at the time you posted it, especially as a theist, and shouldn't have deleted it. But us atheists are totally into the forgiveness thing, so you get a pass. Drama averted.
[+] 4 users Like freetoreason's post
29-12-2014, 09:51 PM
(29-12-2014 05:10 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  The offending comment was a jab at the fundie tradition she was raised in, her unresolved theology. They are neither representative of what she in fact believes, nor what I believe. It was a form of self-deprecating, seemingly dark, and totally inappropriate humor.

Thank you for the explanation. I can't say that I get the joke but I'm willing to accept that it was simply wildly inappropriate humour gone horribly awry. I'm sorry that I misinterpreted it and subsequently mischaracterized you.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
29-12-2014, 11:54 PM
(29-12-2014 09:51 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  

Thank you for the explanation. I can't say that I get the joke but I'm willing to accept that it was simply wildly inappropriate humour gone horribly awry. I'm sorry that I misinterpreted it and subsequently mischaracterized you.

Fuck that shit Dodgy I ain't accepting shit. Tommy's very good and twisting and turning and being a slippery little douche. He's burned whatever reserves of goodwill I had left for him.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
30-12-2014, 12:06 AM
your supposed to read manga from right to left

[Image: 33utkr6.jpg]

I swear reading Naruto can teach you more stuff than any religion
30-12-2014, 01:27 AM
(28-12-2014 02:10 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  Ignorance is bliss. - Not sure I've ever seen a phrase more fitting to describe the religious.

Thats all im getting from this thread, my wife believes what she was indoctrinated to believe, is there any point other then iiB.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
30-12-2014, 01:34 AM
(30-12-2014 12:06 AM)Ace Wrote:  your supposed to read manga from right to left

This comic proves that God exists.

Truth seeker.
30-12-2014, 02:02 AM
(30-12-2014 01:34 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(30-12-2014 12:06 AM)Ace Wrote:  your supposed to read manga from right to left

This comic proves that God exists.

the gods in Naruto is literally a tree and to add to that, the tree doesn't even have a mind

but if an apocalypse happened and only a few humans survived, I wonder if they'd turn Naruto into a religion if they found the manga after a few generations
30-12-2014, 02:06 AM
(30-12-2014 01:34 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  This comic proves that God exists.

[Image: spam-family-of-products.ashx]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
30-12-2014, 08:46 AM
(30-12-2014 02:06 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(30-12-2014 01:34 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  This comic proves that God exists.

[Image: spam-family-of-products.ashx]

no Canned Ham ?