My Wife the Believer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-12-2014, 04:28 PM
RE: My Wife the Believer
(29-12-2014 06:08 PM)freetoreason Wrote:  Obviously you needed to provide the context at the time you posted it, especially as a theist, and shouldn't have deleted it.

I am utterly baffled as to why posters keep referring to Tomasia as a theist, given that all his posts in this thread appear to be about his inability to ever become a theist. WTF???

Why should Tomasia have not deleted the screenshot? Aren't they his posts and not ours? Are members confusing this little sloppy goof around clubhouse with a court of law or something?

What I see is a perfectly excellent thread over run by a manic mob of moronic mad dogs apparently bent on the destruction of the forum owner's claim that atheists are intelligent thinkers.

I hereby find Tomasia guilty, Guilty, GUILTY!!! of the crime of not realizing his talents are wasted here.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-12-2014, 05:18 PM
(30-12-2014 04:28 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  I am utterly baffled as to why posters keep referring to Tomasia as a theist, given that all his posts in this thread appear to be about his inability to ever become a theist. WTF???

Probably because he has said that he is a believer; example:

(21-10-2014 06:12 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(18-10-2014 10:34 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  To those of you who were at one time believers, did this ever cross your mind?

Well, I'm still a believer, and no the question never really entered my mind, because I don't think I ever accepted the fundie evangelical understandings of these texts, even though I was raised in such a community. I loved narratives, and in essence always treated biblical stories as such, even if they included historical aspects in them.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
30-12-2014, 05:23 PM
(30-12-2014 04:28 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  
(29-12-2014 06:08 PM)freetoreason Wrote:  Obviously you needed to provide the context at the time you posted it, especially as a theist, and shouldn't have deleted it.

I am utterly baffled as to why posters keep referring to Tomasia as a theist, given that all his posts in this thread appear to be about his inability to ever become a theist. WTF???

Why should Tomasia have not deleted the screenshot? Aren't they his posts and not ours? Are members confusing this little sloppy goof around clubhouse with a court of law or something?

What I see is a perfectly excellent thread over run by a manic mob of moronic mad dogs apparently bent on the destruction of the forum owner's claim that atheists are intelligent thinkers.

I hereby find Tomasia guilty, Guilty, GUILTY!!! of the crime of not realizing his talents are wasted here.

Get a room, you two.

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
[+] 1 user Likes guitar_nut's post
30-12-2014, 05:42 PM

Go fuck yourself Bozo Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
30-12-2014, 07:07 PM
(28-12-2014 07:26 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  We talked about this, the other morning. My wife unlike myself isn't as infatuated with religious questions; her theology is relatively absent. She hasn't devoted herself to articulating her beliefs and reasons, but she has a deep and heartfelt belief in God, a God whose existence is so obvious to her, so abundant for her, that you'd have an easier time getting the sun to stand still, than to take it from her.

The reason why she believes, is based on the transformative role her religious beliefs have had on her life, that the God she believes in existed so intimately to her, that she could pray as if she was speaking to a close friend, to one who saw her clearly and fully unlike any other.

Or in other words the heart of her belief is based on her subjective exploration of her life, not some removed objective calculation. She perceives the light of God in these effects, how they have humbled her, made her whole, and given her life a sacred and profound sense of value.

Kinda like experiencing her own personal Jesus and shit. Girly ain't got no gripe with that. Ain't unfamiliar to me.

[Image: gwynnies.jpg]

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
30-12-2014, 07:18 PM
(28-12-2014 08:27 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I love to hear her pray, but am embarrassed to hear myself pray.

Have you tried swearing like a goddam drunk fucking pirate monkey while you prayed? 'Cause that'd be cool.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 6 users Like GirlyMan's post
30-12-2014, 07:22 PM
(28-12-2014 09:10 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  do what thou wilt is the extent of the law

Traced that from Crowley to Augustine with the help of Kathy Reichs, of Bones fame, because I've long felt that's all that need be said of law. My questioning led to Gwynnite from god, as my theology cannot be separate from my absurd affair with Gwyneth Paltrow. Gwynnite must be an evolutionary based faith, where moments of grace accrue from balance between me and my environment. Where John Cantor daily is merely the line between points.

Essentially leaving no theology to preach.

As to the other thing, being intelligent is a pain in the ass; leaving one obvious option.

Hah. Finally some sanity in this thread.

30-12-2014, 07:32 PM

Nice pair of socks. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
30-12-2014, 07:33 PM
(28-12-2014 01:09 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(28-12-2014 12:59 PM)Gordon Wrote:  Lemmeguezz. You're wife's mentally ill, right? You probably have to take care of her in some way, huh? [Image: bored.gif]

No. She's pretty self-relient, and she probably ends up taking care of me more than I do so her, insuring that I take my vitamins, and that I don't eat the extra donut, and that I put the toilet seat down after each and every use.

You lift the seat?

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
30-12-2014, 07:34 PM
(30-12-2014 07:33 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-12-2014 01:09 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  No. She's pretty self-relient, and she probably ends up taking care of me more than I do so her, insuring that I take my vitamins, and that I don't eat the extra donut, and that I put the toilet seat down after each and every use.

You lift the seat?

Weeping

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat