My Wife the Believer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2014, 11:52 AM
RE: My Wife the Believer
(28-12-2014 11:25 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  It is possible, perhaps, for you to occupy a more profound world of your own discovery, that doesn't rely on religion as the means to that end.

I don't think it would make sense to say she relies on her religion, or that her religion is a means to that end.

The underlying things she believes in are not rooted in a particular belief system in this regard, and in some sense lack form or shape. Her religious beliefs are just a means to give those things a form, to take the pictures that reside in her wallet, and frame them on the wall. They provide a string of lyrics to a tune she hears quite well.

In other words her beliefs are not beliefs, they are experiences, her underlying sense of life, that she gives words to, through the symbols and stories she finds best conveys this for her, and for others. Her religion is beyond religion, her God beyond God, they are life.

Quote:Her means don't work for you. You can't get a ticket on her bus. So what?
You have your own means. Reason.

Reason can only take a man to the water, to plunge ourselves so deeply in it, to overcome our fear or drowning, of failure, and being swallowed whole, requires more than reason.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-12-2014, 12:31 PM
(28-12-2014 11:26 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Her text from today, perhaps best sums up her sacredness and my sacrilege.

[Image: 2qiwznm.png]

What. The. Fuck.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
28-12-2014, 12:31 PM
(28-12-2014 08:59 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  What was the point of the OP?

I assume its to tell us his wife has strong delusions due to hallucinations
[+] 2 users Like Ace's post
28-12-2014, 12:34 PM (This post was last modified: 28-12-2014 12:38 PM by Gordon.)
It's sounding like some kind of atheistic wife-worship. [Image: bowtowitch.gif]

However, I think I know the punchline that's about to come. [Image: sadsad.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-12-2014, 12:44 PM
(28-12-2014 12:34 PM)Gordon Wrote:  It's sounding like some kind of atheistic wife-worship.

I love my wife quite dearly, but I don't worship her though. While I might have reduced her here to a single quality for the sake of illustration, she herself is a bit more complicated than that of course. In other aspects she's just as problematic and contradictory as the rest of us.

But there is a profound aspect of her, that's not unique to her, rare perhaps, but not unique, but that is found in others too, and it's that profound aspect, beyond her, or any particular person, that I worship.
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
28-12-2014, 12:59 PM
Lemmeguezz. You're wife's mentally ill, right? You probably have to take care of her in some way, huh? [Image: bored.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-12-2014, 01:05 PM
(28-12-2014 11:12 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  ...
Uh huh. If there is no comfy cozy blanket of fantasy knowings on atheist forums, then um, why does everybody get so mad when some idiot tries to yank the blanket that supposedly doesn't exist away?

Maybe it's the persistent attempts to blanket-yank at NO BLANKET! Laugh out load

Or maybe it's the way that ... this thread is not about you.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
28-12-2014, 01:07 PM
(28-12-2014 12:59 PM)Gordon Wrote:  Lemmeguezz. You're wife's mentally ill, right? You probably have to take care of her in some way, huh? [Image: bored.gif]

So, the psychiatric nurse is bored with mental illness? And not terribly compassionate about it. Nice to know.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
28-12-2014, 01:09 PM (This post was last modified: 28-12-2014 01:13 PM by Tomasia.)
(28-12-2014 12:59 PM)Gordon Wrote:  Lemmeguezz. You're wife's mentally ill, right? You probably have to take care of her in some way, huh? [Image: bored.gif]

No. She's pretty self-relient, and she probably ends up taking care of me more than I do so her, insuring that I take my vitamins, and that I don't eat the extra donut, and that I put the toilet seat down after each and every use.

She's fairly lucid, fairly educated, no history of mental illness runs in her family as far as I know. And beyond praying to God, like every other billion or so believers, I see no other compelling reason to assume mental illness. But I guess in your opinion all believers are mentally ill just for the sheer fact they believe in a God whom they pray too, or at least when it pertains to women.
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
28-12-2014, 01:19 PM
(28-12-2014 11:52 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  In other words her beliefs are not beliefs, they are experiences....

So well said, thanks. I so agree it is experience that is what matters.

My sense is that all human beings are seeking essentially the same experience, the desired end. It's only the means of getting there that vary.

Arguing over theism vs. atheism seems ultimately kind of silly (though admittedly entertaining) because most of us are born receptive to some particular flavor of means, and we usually don't have much choice about it, as your story seems to illustrate so well.

The point of a serious and sincere inquiry is not to argue over which means are "best" but to grasp whatever means are available to us personally and use them to proceed towards the desired end.

I think both religion and reason are capable of delivering essentially the same experience. The limiting factor is not the tool, reason, religion or other, but our own willingness to earnestly pursue whatever path we were born to walk.

Quote:Reason can only take a man to the water, to plunge ourselves so deeply in it, to overcome our fear or drowning, of failure, and being swallowed whole, requires more than reason.

My sense is that people of emotion have a perfectly valid path they can follow, and people of reason do too.

It's not important what the other fellow is doing. What's important is what we're doing on whatever path we're on.

If I would only take this advice myself, I could save myself sooooo much fucking typing. :-) Oh well....
[+] 1 user Likes Baba Bozo's post