My Wife the Believer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2014, 01:22 PM
RE: My Wife the Believer
(28-12-2014 01:05 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Maybe it's the persistent attempts to blanket-yank at NO BLANKET! Laugh out load

The more you insist, the less convincing it is. :-)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-12-2014, 01:23 PM
(28-12-2014 01:07 PM)Anjele Wrote:  So, the psychiatric nurse is bored with mental illness? And not terribly compassionate about it. Nice to know.

Not at all, I thought that was going to be the punchline. I figured he'd say something like that to show how the only reason she believes in God is because she's mentally incapacitated. But that's not how it turned out. Frankly, I'm not sure what the punchline is anymore.

(28-12-2014 01:09 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  No. She's pretty self-relient, and she probably ends up taking care of me more than I do so her, insuring that I take my vitamins, and that I don't eat the extra donut, and that I put the toilet seat down after each and every use.

Good Lord. [Image: popcorn2.gif]

Quote:But I guess in your opinion all believers are mentally ill just for the sheer fact they believe in a God whom they pray too, or at least when it pertains to women.

[Image: jawdrop2.gif]
Do you see my rep points, man? You don't get those around here by being an atheist.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-12-2014, 01:29 PM (This post was last modified: 28-12-2014 01:40 PM by Free Thought.)
(28-12-2014 01:23 PM)Gordon Wrote:  [Image: jawdrop2.gif]
Do you see my rep points, man? You don't get those around here by being an atheist.

*cough*RedCelt*cough*IandI*cough*TrainWreck*cough*

Sorry, I must have come down with a cold.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post
28-12-2014, 01:51 PM (This post was last modified: 28-12-2014 01:55 PM by Tomasia.)
(28-12-2014 01:19 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  I think both religion and reason are capable of delivering essentially the same experience. The limiting factor is not the tool, reason, religion or other, but our own willingness to earnestly pursue whatever path we were born to walk.

My sense is that people of emotion have a perfectly valid path they can follow, and people of reason do too.

It's not important what the other fellow is doing. What's important is what we're doing on whatever path we're on.

Well, I don't want to downplay anyone else's path, particularly if all these roads are seeking the same thing in the end, that gold at the end of a dark tunnel, that “ pure ore” at “the deep bottom of the mine", “that forever thing. That you don’t think is there”. "That thing that makes it possible to ladle out benediction upon the heads of strangers instead of curses”. It's just one thing.

Perhaps if my wife didn't have the language of christianity readily available, she would of framed it all in whatever language was so readily there for her, be it Islam, or Hinduism, or some form of secular humanism, etc. The underlying formless beliefs of hers would still be the same. And perhaps some other tradition, or path, would create her doppelgänger, just one speaking a foreign language, I don't know, but I don't see why it couldn't be possible.
28-12-2014, 02:10 PM
Ignorance is bliss. - Not sure I've ever seen a phrase more fitting to describe the religious.
[+] 2 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
28-12-2014, 06:17 PM
Quote:Well, I don't want to downplay anyone else's path, particularly if all these roads are seeking the same thing in the end....

If faith and reason are seeking essentially the same thing, and are both capable of delivering it, if that is true, then the whole atheism vs. theism debate might be seen in a new light.

There's no need to endlessly debate the difference between atheism and theism, except maybe it's fun sometimes, like an old card game with familiar rules.

Does the inquiry then becomes more of a practical matter? If one tool doesn't work for somebody, ok, put it down and pick up another. Why waste a lot of time yelling at the tool that didn't work?

Like car repair. If the wrench isn't getting the job down, try the screw driver. The point is to get the car fixed, and whatever works is good.
28-12-2014, 06:47 PM
I don't quite get why this is a thread, based on the story.........?

Drinking Beverage
28-12-2014, 06:58 PM
what you described in there, is exactly why I believe that religion should be separated from any public or political arenas. Nobody has any problem with her experience, but you have to understand that subjective personal experiences are only valid to the person experiencing them. To draw the conclusion that those experiences equate to a personal God, especially the god that your taught to believe in is only done in one's mind

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
[+] 3 users Like microterf's post
28-12-2014, 08:00 PM
(28-12-2014 12:31 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(28-12-2014 11:26 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Her text from today, perhaps best sums up her sacredness and my sacrilege.

[Image: 2qiwznm.png]

What. The. Fuck.

I'm not liking the fact "tomasia" has taken to editing out content from their posts one bit.

Dodgy

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
28-12-2014, 08:17 PM
(28-12-2014 12:34 PM)Gordon Wrote:  It's sounding like some kind of atheistic wife-worship. [Image: bowtowitch.gif]

However, I think I know the punchline that's about to come. [Image: sadsad.gif]

(28-12-2014 01:23 PM)Gordon Wrote:  Not at all, I thought that was going to be the punchline. I figured he'd say something like that to show how the only reason she believes in God is because she's mentally incapacitated. But that's not how it turned out. Frankly, I'm not sure what the punchline is anymore.

You are Gordon. Thank you for the entertainment.

(22-10-2014 05:09 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I believe all scripture is God-breathed, i.e god inspired.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.