My Wifes first TTA episode

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2013, 08:10 AM
My Wifes first TTA episode
To start, my wife is a christian. She does not go to church very often and does not pray a whole lot (that I know of). I am very supportive of her and love hear dearly. She has an open mind and very intelligent.

We are taking a car trip very soon that will total around 12 hours there and back. I asked her if she would listen to an episode of TTA with me. I am going through the episodes and looking for a good set to bring with us on the trip. But I do not want her to listen to them and be bored or shut down.

I want to know which episode would you start off with if you were in my shoes?

I am looking at:
  • Good without a God
  • Proof that god exists
  • frequently asked questions
  • woman, be silent
  • reason to believe
  • telling my loved ones: "I'm an atheist"
  • what christians don't know about the bible
Are there any others you would use?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-02-2013, 08:26 AM
RE: My Wifes first TTA episode
Seth's speeches at conventions are pretty good too. Those are sometimes better than the podcasts because callers can sometimes break-up the continuity of the show.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
15-02-2013, 08:43 AM
I would suggest Good Without God, but I'm not sure if she would feel bombarded somehow. Then again, if she is open, I'd say go for it! These podcasts have helped me a lot through my own questioning. That one in particular is one of my favorites.

Have a nice trip!
15-02-2013, 08:46 AM
She should join the forums. We'd rip her Christianity a new on- We'd rip her a new on- We'd have a civil discussion.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 4 users Like Logica Humano's post
15-02-2013, 09:07 AM
Why dont you ask her some questions, then decide. Id start with if she wants to even listen to it.

Arguing with a Christian is a lot like playing chess with a pigeon. You can be the greatest player in the world, yet the pigeon will knock over all the pieces, shit on the board and strut away triumphantly.
15-02-2013, 09:08 AM
I think the more positive ones would be good for a trip:
Good without a God and telling my loved ones: "I'm an atheist" both have positive and encouraging messages. Don't know about the rest.

I don't know that I would pound her with stuff, it could have an adverse effect.
It's a trip. Maybe she's just looking to get away from obligations - people always on her for stuff she has to be or not be - maybe she just wants to be away, have a relaxing drive, and be with you. A trip is a good time to touch base with each other.

Some nice music, a couple of interesting, positive shows and discussion with you can make for a much more receptive understanding, in my opinion. I just wouldn't want to over do it.
Have a nice trip.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
15-02-2013, 08:11 PM
I would start with 10 minutes of Hitchens

follow up with more Hitchens on Morality

Then follow up with Matt Dillahunty on Cosmic Justice

Lastly - The Bible is NOT the word of god

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
16-02-2013, 03:26 AM

I don't even see how two atheists could be married. It seems like neither could possibly love the other. If you both just saw each other as physical objects pushed around by natural forces, how could you love each other? What would there be to either the love or the loved one?

I'd leave her Christianity alone.

And what could a woman ever see in an atheist man to begin with? "Oh, my husband has no moral foundation whatsoever except to do what he thinks is right, which really means nothing because he thinks his entire mind is just generated by natural forces. He might do anything. He might leave me tomorrow. He would probably sleep around given the slightest chance or bring me a disease from a prostitute. My husband's an atheist you see, our love is just chemical reactions to him. Our children are just his urge to leave his genetic material--in part--to the future. In fact he figures after we've raised our last child, we have no reason to be alive ourselves. He's an atheist--he might do anything at any time."
Quote this message in a reply
16-02-2013, 03:33 AM
(16-02-2013 03:26 AM)Egor Wrote:  ...
If you both just saw each other as physical objects pushed around by natural forces,

Big Grin

But, oh so much fun to be had pushing those physical objects around with one's natural forces.

Drooling

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
16-02-2013, 03:38 AM
(16-02-2013 03:26 AM)Egor Wrote:  I don't even see how two atheists could be married. It seems like neither could possibly love the other. If you both just saw each other as physical objects pushed around by natural forces, how could you love each other? What would there be to either the love or the loved one?

I'd leave her Christianity alone.

And what could a woman ever see in an atheist man to begin with? "Oh, my husband has no moral foundation whatsoever except to do what he thinks is right, which really means nothing because he thinks his entire mind is just generated by natural forces. He might do anything. He might leave me tomorrow. He would probably sleep around given the slightest chance or bring me a disease from a prostitute. My husband's an atheist you see, our love is just chemical reactions to him. Our children are just his urge to leave his genetic material--in part--to the future. In fact he figures after we've raised our last child, we have no reason to be alive ourselves. He's an atheist--he might do anything at any time."
[Image: cc-go-fuck-yourself.jpg]

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post