My Wifes first TTA episode

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2013, 08:09 AM
RE: My Wifes first TTA episode
(16-02-2013 03:26 AM)Egor Wrote:  I don't even see how two atheists could be married. It seems like neither could possibly love the other. If you both just saw each other as physical objects pushed around by natural forces, how could you love each other? What would there be to either the love or the loved one?

I'd leave her Christianity alone.

And what could a woman ever see in an atheist man to begin with? "Oh, my husband has no moral foundation whatsoever except to do what he thinks is right, which really means nothing because he thinks his entire mind is just generated by natural forces. He might do anything. He might leave me tomorrow. He would probably sleep around given the slightest chance or bring me a disease from a prostitute. My husband's an atheist you see, our love is just chemical reactions to him. Our children are just his urge to leave his genetic material--in part--to the future. In fact he figures after we've raised our last child, we have no reason to be alive ourselves. He's an atheist--he might do anything at any time."
I know this might require you to blow the dust and cobwebs out of your cavernous head, but maybe you should read up on what love actually is.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Logica Humano's post
16-02-2013, 02:11 PM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2013 02:45 PM by kim.)
Well. I guess he told us. Dodgy

Getting pretty far from god's kingdom there aren't you Egsy?

I suggest you spend some time with Mark 12:28-34.

git

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
16-02-2013, 04:22 PM
(16-02-2013 03:26 AM)Egor Wrote:  I don't even see how two atheists could be married. It seems like neither could possibly love the other. If you both just saw each other as physical objects pushed around by natural forces, how could you love each other? What would there be to either the love or the loved one?

And what could a woman ever see in an atheist man to begin with? "Oh, my husband has no moral foundation whatsoever except to do what he thinks is right, which really means nothing because he thinks his entire mind is just generated by natural forces. He might do anything. He might leave me tomorrow. He would probably sleep around given the slightest chance or bring me a disease from a prostitute. My husband's an atheist you see, our love is just chemical reactions to him. Our children are just his urge to leave his genetic material--in part--to the future. In fact he figures after we've raised our last child, we have no reason to be alive ourselves. He's an atheist--he might do anything at any time."
Yeah, but my girlfriend is a lovable physical object being pushed around by natural forces.
[+] 2 users Like hedgehog648's post
17-02-2013, 06:17 AM
Egor: So if you didn't believe in God you couldn't love your wife, you would cheat on her with prostitutes, and you would kill yourself and your wife once your children have left the nest?
This is got to be one of the worst, least moral things you have said in a while. So how's that role as Senior Chaplain going?

clybrad: My advice would be to keep the love between you as the most important thing in your relationship, far more important than what you each believe. You want to show her things you are excited about. She wants to let you because she loves you. That's great! She probably won't change her mind. You might be disappointed. Don't be! She just told you she loves you enough to listen to your crazy podcasts. Awesome sauce. Don't let that love die between the two of you over what you hope she might eventually come to believe. Look, things can get crazy when kids become involved but if you keep love first and beliefs a distant second you'll be all right.

So framed in that context - play the podcast you're most excited about sharing with her. She probably won't get out of it what you got out of it, but that's ok. That's not what's important here. If you're going to focus on a particular subject, I'd suggest podcasts that talk a lot about how it feels to be an atheist in today's society. If she is going to get something out of it it is most likely going to be a deeper understanding of what it is that drives you. Try to keep it personal and non-threatening. That's usually the tone of Seth's podcasts, and is one of the reasons I and so many others like him so much.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
17-02-2013, 11:35 AM

How deeply sad and pathetic you are. I have an idea. Instead of waiting until Easter...why don't you just bitch up and leave now?

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-02-2013, 12:26 PM

(17-02-2013 06:17 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Egor: So if you didn't believe in God you couldn't love your wife, you would cheat on her with prostitutes, and you would kill yourself and your wife once your children have left the nest?
This is got to be one of the worst, least moral things you have said in a while. So how's that role as Senior Chaplain going?

You think what I said is immoral? You think the truth is immoral? How dark your light is. If I were a true atheist, of which only a few of you in here are, and if in fact atheism were true and there was no God, there is no telling what I might do or what you might do. It would depend on how we were stimulated by our environment, wouldn't it?

I love it when I point out the implications of atheism to atheists they consider me an immoral monster. You're the atheist, not me. Remember?
Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2013, 12:33 PM
whiner Rolleyes

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
17-02-2013, 12:36 PM
(17-02-2013 12:26 PM)Egor Wrote:  If I were a true atheist [...]
What's a "true" atheist again? Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
17-02-2013, 12:38 PM
Not allowing an idiot to derail this. I enjoyed the "good without god" episode. But ya would totally limit it because it's nice that she agreed to listen! 12 hours is a long drive...enjoy the trip!

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

17-02-2013, 12:39 PM
(17-02-2013 12:36 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(17-02-2013 12:26 PM)Egor Wrote:  If I were a true atheist [...]
What's a "true" atheist again? Consider
On second thought (ours, not his; he doesn't have even one, not an original one anyway) - don't bother. The only thing worth hearing from his mouth would be "goodbye" (or, as that is too human-like for him: "Fuck you, cretins. I'm off. For good.")

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."