My alternate view on evolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2010, 01:46 PM
RE: My alternate view on evolution
Well what I am saying is that mutations have a bigger effect on evolution than natural selection.

Fight the system,

~~~but don't mute the opposition!~~~
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-12-2010, 01:52 PM

(18-12-2010 01:46 PM)latvianxave8 Wrote:  Well what I am saying is that mutations have a bigger effect on evolution than natural selection.

It's kind of a step by step process. Mutations and natural selection are not two separate pathways through which evolution proceeds. Mutations are the raw ingredients, natural selection is the cooking process, if you will. By what methodology do you assign importance?
Quote this message in a reply
18-12-2010, 02:06 PM
Good analogy TruthAddict. I was trying to think of a way to say that, but you did it better, so I'll stick with "ditto".

Just visiting.

-SR
18-12-2010, 02:19 PM
I'll use an example similar to yours. Mutations are the cookie dough, natural selection is the oven. You can eat cookie dough without an oven, but you cannot bake cookies without cookie dough.

Fight the system,

18-12-2010, 03:48 PM

Yes, but how do you propose evolution will work with only mutations, as your analogy implies?
Quote this message in a reply
18-12-2010, 03:51 PM
Evolution doesn't favor higher life forms. (85% of all the biomass on the planet is micoscopic). Evolution favors those that survive. Mutation creates the diversity and natural selection provides the survivers. Both processes are required to create evolution. Evolution is not a process in itself, evolution is the result of the processes of mutation and natural selection.

The cookie dough analogy doesn't apply in this case because without natural selection, mutations would create an unimaginable amount of bio-diversity, but no direction. I have no idea what that would be like, but I doubt if it could happen since the competition for survival would rule it out and bring us back to natural selection.
18-12-2010, 04:53 PM
I am not saying that natural selection isn't important, I guess my analogy was flawed. I merely stating that it seems like mutation plays a bigger role than natural selection. Without mutation to produce new forms of life, natural selection has nothing to favor.

Fight the system,

18-12-2010, 06:11 PM
(18-12-2010 04:53 PM)latvianxave8 Wrote:  I am not saying that natural selection isn't important, I guess my analogy was flawed. I merely stating that it seems like mutation plays a bigger role than natural selection. Without mutation to produce new forms of life, natural selection has nothing to favor.

But without natural selection, which includes the competition for survival and mating rights, mutations would create such a diversity of life that there really would be no defined species. There would be a all possible variations of animals from bacteria to blue whales to humans living on this earth. Homo erectus, homo habilus, neandrathals and every other ancestor to man, including hundreds of species that bridged every gap between them would be still be around. That would be the same all through the animal kingdom. Rather than a few million living species we would have hundreds of billions of living species.
18-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Why is that bad? Wouldn't it be fascinating to be able to communicate and interact with a slightly more primitive version of ourselves?

Okay, it would appear we are getting off topic.

I do intend to put a bit more research into this later, so maybe in a little while I'll have a bit more stuff to add Big Grin

Fight the system,

19-12-2010, 12:37 AM
You people do realize that we are arguing over nothing? right?
latvianxave8, the way I read your post you are not disagreeing with any of us at all. You simply need to update your understanding of what "evolution" and "natural selection" means. A bit of research seams like a good idea.

No J, that last post was nonsensical. How could you have evolution without a selection process? I'm trying to come up with an analogy to illustrate how bizarre this is, but I can't. It's that bizarre!

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you