My argument against atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 2 Average
21-08-2013, 04:40 PM
RE: My argument against atheism
(21-08-2013 04:11 PM)Sloane Wrote:  
(20-08-2013 04:59 PM)fullerm Wrote:  I'm only interested in purely rational discussion with extremely intelligent people.

Whelp, I guess I better leave. You know, having a speck-sized nerve ganglia and all. So...*slouches over and walks away with shame*

It's not the size that counts; it's how you use it!

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
21-08-2013, 06:50 PM
(21-08-2013 04:40 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(21-08-2013 04:11 PM)Sloane Wrote:  Whelp, I guess I better leave. You know, having a speck-sized nerve ganglia and all. So...*slouches over and walks away with shame*

It's not the size that counts; it's how you use it!

True, true. :0

[Image: mrsnail.gif]
22-08-2013, 06:31 AM
(21-08-2013 11:45 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(21-08-2013 11:36 AM)gall Wrote:  You want our help and can't even link the article here?

to be fair, newly registered members aren't allowed to come in and post links.

whoever approved the thread may have deleted it/removed it or told the OP to take it out.

I did not know that but he could have easily made any reference to its location. should have just deleted the thread if the content was removed making it nonsense.
22-08-2013, 07:03 AM
Dang, OP's not been back. I guess he wasn't cut out for "purely rational discussion with extremely intelligent people" after all.

Rolleyes

... this is my signature!
22-08-2013, 07:06 AM
(22-08-2013 06:31 AM)gall Wrote:  
(21-08-2013 11:45 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  to be fair, newly registered members aren't allowed to come in and post links.

whoever approved the thread may have deleted it/removed it or told the OP to take it out.

I did not know that but he could have easily made any reference to its location. should have just deleted the thread if the content was removed making it nonsense.

I don't think it was removed, which is why he suggested it be searched for.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
22-08-2013, 10:40 AM
When theists go up against the brick wall of reality, it often makes their heads hurt.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
22-08-2013, 10:54 AM
Well, . . . after a Bucky Ball reaming, . . . I can see why they would excuse themself from the room.
23-08-2013, 12:51 PM
(21-08-2013 08:08 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-08-2013 07:58 AM)fullerm Wrote:  Is your belief that thought magically arises from the interactions of atoms and energy coherent and falsifiable? Where does the interpretation and awareness of the physical state come from?

No, not magically. Neuroscientists are, in fact, correlating brain states with mental states using imaging techniques. Science, not magic.

Yes brain states correlate with mental states. What's your point?

Again, your brain is just a bunch of atoms interacting with one another. How do mental states magically arise from nowhere due to atomic interactions?

Complex matter is made from simpler matter. Why should this not be the case with mental states as well?
23-08-2013, 02:37 PM
(23-08-2013 12:51 PM)fullerm Wrote:  
(21-08-2013 08:08 AM)Chas Wrote:  No, not magically. Neuroscientists are, in fact, correlating brain states with mental states using imaging techniques. Science, not magic.

Yes brain states correlate with mental states. What's your point?

Again, your brain is just a bunch of atoms interacting with one another. How do mental states magically arise from nowhere due to atomic interactions?

Complex matter is made from simpler matter. Why should this not be the case with mental states as well?

Dude, I'm very uneducated by all practical means, and I get this shit. You have to be able to look at any situation from all available angles in order to understand it. You are not doing that, and are thusly blinded to reality. Open your mind, I promise you that your brain will not fall out.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
24-08-2013, 12:39 AM
A bunch of atoms interacting with one another is like when you wash your hands with soap or mix a couple chemicals together.
Your brain isn't that basic of an interaction. It's far more complex and you know it.

Here is a basic brain model in 3D
http://www.brainline.org/multimedia/inte...7AodAVQAoQ

And here is a small section on mental states of the brain
http://www.jimpryor.net/teaching/courses...tates.html

Do some light reading. Your brain will thank you.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results